Thread: Combo Silver/Ptarmigan Trip

Default Combo Silver/Ptarmigan Trip

Hi,

My friend and I would like to put together a combo trip for Ptarmigan and Silvers. We live in Idaho and are experienced hunters with pointing dogs. We are also avid flyfishermen. We have both been to Alaska in the past.

I wonder if anyone could help with suggestions where to go. We don't need hand holding, but rather we need to be pointed in the right direction.

We would like to stay somewhere that has ready access to both fishing and hunting.

We would stay at a lodge if the price was not too steep. We definitely don't want $5000 or more a week flyouts

Our plan is for about August 15 for a long week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We can exchange the favor by showing you a great chukar hunt if you can get to Idaho.

Marty

There are probably good locations on the mainland, but you can cross Kodiak off your list. August 15 is simply too early- ptarmigan season doesn't open till August 20 and the silver run doesn't peak till mid- or late-September. If that time frame is within your reach, think in terms of the south end of the island, especially around Upper Station and Lower Station on Olga Bay. That would also add in the possibility of trophy Sitka blacktail.

Don't know the current state of affairs or prices, but there used to be a lodge in an old cannery across the bay with skiff access to all sorts of possibilities. Come to think of it, you could add great rainbow fishing to the list in the Akalura River.

Don't know about silvers, but the ptarmigan hunting is legendary out at Cold Bay in the Izembek refuge. Add incredible waterfowl hunting to your list on there, but we're also talking later timing in this location. There's a nice lodge catering to bird hunters right there, but I don't know about rates.

I'll trade silver fishing for hunting with dogs if I'm around! PM me.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Can do

You can hunt the Kenai mtns. try Summit creek or Devils pass, I had a Caribou permit for that area and we lived off them while hunting there. Opens Aug. 10 I think.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Geez,

Doesn't anyone have any good ideas for this trip for a poor Idahoan?

Hi Naknek, Check your pm file. I sent you a bit of information about two weeks back.
    Tom