Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame pack?

Default Frame pack?

What do you all use for a frame pack and, explain why. I'm kinda in the market for one and would like to get some honest feedback. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elkmasterwyo View Post
    What do you all use for a frame pack and, explain why. I'm kinda in the market for one and would like to get some honest feedback. Thanks

I use the Kelty Cache Hauler.

1) The load attachment system is great
    2) The hip belt is extremely comfortable
    3) Kelty knows how to make frames! Ergos, strength and lightness in good balance
    4) Not super expensive.

Barney's frieghter frame with pinnacle bag. If you can afford it do yourself a favor and just buy a frieghter frame with the bag that works best for you. More guides and packers around the state use them than not. I work there from time to time and I've seen guides.....mind you guides that have had a pack for 10-15+ years.

Brett

Default Barny's?

I've heard a little about these Barneys packs on here, where can i check one out?

Default Barneys

On their website......

My Kelty has not held up as good as I had hoped. There is a company from somewhere on the peninsula I think that is at the Fairbanks outdoor show every year selling there packs. They look good, But I forget the name of the company. Does anyone here know the outfit I am talking about and have you tried there packs?
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

I have a Janssens Adventure Outfitters Hardcore Huntpack(www.hardcorehuntpack.com) that is a good pack and versatile but is not my style. Eastman's show was using them a while ago. P.M. me if you are interested in buying it 9.5/10. I'm about to order a g2 Kifaru Longhunter.

Default Kifaru

I've got a Cabelas Alaskan pack and frame, good for price. Best external frame is probably a Barney's. I also have a Gen1 Kifaru Longhunter internal frame, cargo chair and standard bag. I live it. I have a jacked up back and needed a good pack and Kifaru seems to keep the weight off of my back and shoulders amd on my hips where I can bear it. Great pack, great customer service and warranty/service.

Default bull

looked at the "bull" pack at a show this year... looked indestructible and at only around 170 for the frame its a top contender in my book.

Had a "Bull Pac" have a Barney's, no comparison Barney's gets my vote.

One more time....just get a Barney's!!! They show is around the corner and you'll get a discout!

Brett

Default Barneys pack

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    One more time....just get a Barney's!!! They show is around the corner and you'll get a discout!

Brett
    Brett, can you tell me the dimensions of the Barney's packframe? I will be flying to AK this July and am thinking about buying the Barney's there for my hunt. Will have to bring it back of course and wondering about the airlines. Thanks, Mark

I don’t have a Barneys pack but I can tell you I LOVE my Bull Pac! It keeps the weight on my hips; shoulder straps are wide and firm (not the soft padding that bunches up and digs in). The frame is indestructible! It has multiple hitching points (7?) that will allow you to secure your game bag to the frame (I use 550 or para cord). I think a frame with a detachable bag is a better rig because it allows you more options when caring large loads like a moose hindquarter, which may not fit in the “bag”. I have carried 4 caribou quarters (smaller meat bull) at one time and the Bull Pac was comfortable (heavy as ****, but comfortable). If I were looking for another bag I would buy a second Bull Pac.

These are simple my experiences and opinions. Hope it helps.

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Brett, can you tell me the dimensions of the Barney's packframe? I will be flying to AK this July and am thinking about buying the Barney's there for my hunt. Will have to bring it back of course and wondering about the airlines. Thanks, Mark
    Call the shop at 907-561-5242. Sorry I'm not at home at the minute to messure and I'll likely forget when I am tomorrow. They'll tell you right away if you call tomorrow.

Brett

I've flown all over with my barney frame and pack. Checked luggage, no worries..makes walking thru the airport much nicer...who the heck invented the suitcase and why does it not have shoulder straps and a hip belt!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post

Brett
    Hey Brett... any chance they are headed to fairbanks this year....?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    My Kelty has not held up as good as I had hoped. There is a company from somewhere on the peninsula I think that is at the Fairbanks outdoor show every year selling there packs. They look good, But I forget the name of the company. Does anyone here know the outfit I am talking about and have you tried there packs?
    You may be thinking of NOMAR from Homer. I've seen their packs but never used one. http://nomaralaska.com/index.html

elkmaster, check out Mystery Ranch NICE packs. They are in Bozeman. Love mine.

I just picked up a Kelty Cache Hauler (frame only) for $90.00 new. I plan on trying out a new packing system. I'm going to use drybags with this frame and take a 3 day assault style pack and sit it atop the drybags then lash the thing down. I'll have my sleeping bag, clothing and some misc in the drybags and the rest up in the backpack. I'll then be able to have all the options when I'm out and about. I can haul big stuff like moose quarters, firewood and jerrycans and have the 3 day pack for my hunts from base camp or scouting trips etc. without carrying the big frame all over creation.

This is my theory anyway.

Mountaintrekker

Default Check out this pack

Day pack, large pack and hauler pack frame

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it....&category=1973

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hey Brett... any chance they are headed to fairbanks this year....?
    I doubt it, but if you want to take advantage of the show special just call the shop and they can ship anything you buy up to you/or hold it for you until the next time you get down.

Brett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast