Thread: Nome-Unit 22 Grizzly.

Default Nome-Unit 22 Grizzly.

Spring returns and with it talk of bears. Doesn't take much to get me inspired.

This one was killed on a solo trip about 25 miles out of town last May. Lots of his pals running around the hills and they will be awake within a couple weeks although the season near town won't open till the middle of May. The rest of the unit is open right now till May 31st.
    I noticed Martentrapper is still in the habit of renting snowmachines.
    I think a serious bear hunter could land in town and have a pretty good chance at a nice tundra grizzly and do our local moose herd a big favor while he was at it.
    Never know when you might luck into one of them mid twenty inch skulls also.

Default nice bear...

nice bear.

grizz hey man why do we only see you in here in the spring?!
    i went out yesterday for a run thru the area i'll be hunting next week, seen one set of tracks and talked with guys who've seen a couple dens...ain't meltin' in the highcountry yet, but lack of snow and windblown is leaving alot of area bare...not bear..bare...nevermind...
    some are coming out, but a few good thaws and i think we might see a little push...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

saw one out the other day, got within about 50-60yrds too bad we weren't bear hunting.

How can you be out this time of year and NOT be bear hunting??
    Don't tell me you didn't have a gun, justin!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    How can you be out this time of year and NOT be bear hunting??
    Don't tell me you didn't have a gun, justin!
    Good question. Heck, when I took my nephew hare hunting this weekend, I threw in the rifle just in case. No such luck, but I'd hate to be without it and see a bear rubbing his eyes at the mouth of his den.

funny thing was i didnt have a gun my wife started waving frantically so i rode my snowmachine over to her and she said "theres a huge bear down there"! the snow was waayy to deep for the bear to move in very easily so we rode around where some friends were watching it from and it just hid in the willows with its head down. we watched it from 50-60yrds for about 30 minutes and the guy never moved just lifted its head then ducked back down and tried to hide. kinda felt bad he just figured he wasnt going to outrun snowmachines so better stay put...smart bear, stupid people for getting so close...i know. my buddy did have a gun however but just a 22-250 so that could have been interesting.

i saw tracks the other day when i was out....i'm headed out on friday with a client to get this 2010 season underway!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212