Thread: Spring bear hunt help?

Default Spring bear hunt help?

Hi!! I am new to this forum and would like to ask for some help please. I am looking for a spring bear hunt for this year in Alaska. It would be for one hunter looking to bow hunt black bear. I live in Texas and it would be great to hear from some of you on what might be a good hunt to book. I was in Alaska last year for a diy caribou hunt, and had a great time. Any help would be great!!
    Thank you!!
    Dennis

Alaska Private Guide Service, Smokey Don Duncan,Fairbanks
    apgs@gci.net

3 bear limit, and they kill alot of them.

Welcome aboard, Dennis. Folks here are generally happy to help, but it will be easier if you give us some more ideas about what you're looking for. Are you hoping for a spot-and-stalk hunt, or are you wanting to hunt bears over bait? Are you looking for trophy potential, or would you rather be in a place that allows more than one bear? Are you looking for a DIY hunt, or are you looking for a guide?

Default bear hunt

Sorry, I would like to spot -and-stalk hunt, with bow. I am open to location and, by land or water. If I had a 1st choice it would be some kind of coastal hunt. For me any bow kill is a trophy so i do not need to be looking for a 1000 lb 24" monster. I just would like to find a nice hunt with good people at a fair price. As this will be my first bear hunt a guide would be a good choice for this hunt.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

Default Bear Hunt

As a non-resident you are required to have a guide from brown bear anyways. Unless, you have some relatives up here that would allow you to hunt as a second degree of kindred. Check the regs to see if you qualify. Otherwise, if you do not have relatives, you must hire a guide. And that can run you aroun $10,000. I know, because I used to guide. I no longer guide, but I could recommend some to you that I think are good choices. Send me a PM. If I were you, I would look to doing a fall hunt as opposed to a spring hunt if you want to go with a bow. Although if you want to go on a spot and stalk hunt, then you might want to go in the spring. It would definitely be more of a challenge with a bow, but spring bear hunts are a blast. A lot of work. Be prepared to snowshoe for miles through mountainous terrain. A fall hunt might allow you to hunt from a treestand overlooking a salmon stream. Or if you are lucky, you might find a guide who hunts for moose also, and sometimes they might know where a gut pile is at that you could hunt off of. In Alaska, it is illegal to hunt browns over bait, but a moose gut pile is allowed because it is not technically considered bait. Good luck. Again, shoot me a PM if you would like a recommendation for a guide. I have a few friends who still guide. My guiding days are done. I love to hunt to much to guide. Guides don't get to hunt too much for themselves. They are too busy taking other people out during the hunting season.

man....1000lbs and 24" tall....would be a very strange looking bear...., like "java the cub" or something..... aside from that, our average alaska spring blackies go from 5.5-6.5 feet and 200-325lbs.....there are bigger bear to be had though if you take your time looking. DIY bow hunts can be easily had from anchorage.... by drivin the seward highway south from bird creek to seward, one can spot from the highway plenty of bears to go after on any number of slopes and mountains....IMO that would be the easiest and possibly the most economical way....driving 100 miles of road thru some of the most beautiful country in the state.

Release Lake Trout

Default Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    man....1000lbs and 24" tall....would be a very strange looking bear...., like "java the cub" or something..... aside from that, our average alaska spring blackies go from 5.5-6.5 feet and 200-325lbs.....there are bigger bear to be had though if you take your time looking. DIY bow hunts can be easily had from anchorage.... by drivin the seward highway south from bird creek to seward, one can spot from the highway plenty of bears to go after on any number of slopes and mountains....IMO that would be the easiest and possibly the most economical way....driving 100 miles of road thru some of the most beautiful country in the state.
    That is hilarious. I didn't catch that until you said something. That sounds like the wolverine from hell or something. 24" and 1000 lbs. But besides that, he still has to have a guide if he is a non-res. A DIY would not be an option for him. Unless, there is some new rule I am unaware of.

Default HuntandFishAK...

I sent you a PM.

Non res dont need a guide to hunt black bear....at least not in 14c or 15.

Release Lake Trout

Default DIY

Non residents do NOT need a guide anywhere in Alaska for black bears. I'm pretty sure I read that he wanted a blackie.

The 1000 pound, 24" refers to the weight of a bear and the skull measurement (24") that is used by both B & C and SCI for record book placement. What he is really saying is that he doesn't need a record book black bear to be happy.

I know nothing about hunting between Anchorage & Homer but it is a beautiful drive (I've driven that stretch of highway). There are good black bears out of Cordova and Ketchikan. I'm sure both hunts are more expensive than a drive from Anchorage and hunting the mountainsides.

Default Sorry, my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Non res dont need a guide to hunt black bear....at least not in 14c or 15.
    I thought I read brown bear. Not black bear. Sorry.

Here's your One Stop Shop:

http://www.coffmancoveak.com/bear_hunting.html

Boat, Truck, Food, Bed...what more does a guy need? And you just can't beat $1,450 for a one week hunt.

add on the $700-$1000+ airline ticket, then shipment of goods and your lookin pretty bad lol....to each his own suggestion....I suppose id want my first trip to be comfortable. Prince of Wales does have some beastly blackies on it too....however, baiting is your best option on POW.

Release Lake Trout

If you're looking for a guided hunt in a coastal area, I'd talk to Johnnie Laird at Muskeg Excursions. He goes by the name Muskeg on here. I've never heard a bad report from a hunt with him, and looking at his website, it looks like he might still have some guided hunts available on Prince of Wales for this spring.

If you want to do it yourself, the above recommendation of Coffman Cove is a good one. The member you'd be looking for on that one is Gooch.

Default bear hunt

OK, great feedback!! Thanks! The 1000 lb 24", should be 24" head, not 24" tall. Man that would look odd. I will look at info that you all gave and see if something fits. I have thought about a diy, but I am not sure about it as up till now carabou and elk have been as big as I have hunted. I also did not whant to screw up out there in Alaska solo.
    I have hunted the poor mans bear hear in Texas, that is the wild boar. It is a blast and I have got some that have been over 300lbs and they had some mean tusk. The big thing about the wild boar is, they do not stand on two feat and come at you!!
    Thanks,
    Dennis

Default bear hunt

THANKS for all the help, I am working on a hunt and hope to put things in play.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

Default make that 2 of us

Dennis

i've been reading "hunting hard in alaska" by marc taylor, it has a lot of good info, but just between u and me i'll be reading my buddies moves even more!

my hats off to you ! i dont think i'll try it alone for my first attempt, we'll see how it goes. i'll be going up the south side of hatcher pass area "best thing for me is that it's close to home" so look before you shoot if you're anywhere close! thanks

Good Luck

Default bear hunt

Thanks, for the feedback!
    Good hunting to you!
    Dennis

Default black bear

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    Here's your One Stop Shop:

http://www.coffmancoveak.com/bear_hunting.html

Boat, Truck, Food, Bed...what more does a guy need? And you just can't beat $1,450 for a one week hunt.

I used this outfitter last year with my son and it was great! very nice people, great food and very good equipment (boat, truck, fishing gear, etc). We didnt get a bear but my son had a blast. We are going back again this year!

-Eric