Thread: Leftie "compact"/youth .308 bolt gun

Default Leftie "compact"/youth .308 bolt gun

My wife is looking for a left handed bolt gun in .308 win with a compact/youth stock. We've been doing some research and nobody seems to make that. Some folks make youth guns, or leftie guns, but no leftie compact guns. The only exception seems to be the Remington 700 but that only comes in .243 and 7mm, not .308.

So at this point, I guess we'd be looking at getting a full size leftie gun and having the stock cut down.

Can anyone recommend a smith for that sort of work? Anyone have a ballpark estimate for how much it would cost?

At some point, the cost from a Remington 700 + iron sights/scope (because they don't seem to come with iron sights these days... ***?) + stock work gets awfully close to just getting an M1A or AR-10 with adjustable stock.

Thanks!

Default Alternative

I know you said you were looking for a Bolt, but have you looked at Rossi Firearms. http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...rumbseries=RYC My wife used one of these that my brother inlaw had a few years back that had a Left handed firers cheek rest on and was pretty happy with it. Shot real well, very minimal recoil, grouping was good with a VX2 Leopold 3X9.

One lefty to the husband of another:

Have a look at levers and singleshots, too. The Encore might be just the deal for her. If you're not looking for longrange cartridges, then there are quite a number of suitable levers floating around. Ruger #1's are primo, but tend to be pretty heavy as well as spendy.

But by the time you get a bolt gun, put on a shorter lightweight stock or clip the barrel a bit for balance, you can be running into some money, too. You might have a look at the Savage line, too. Not so expensive, but they do have some short action lefty calibers.

I was originally looking for a bolt because of the price... But by the time you shell out $500 for a Remington 700, $200 to scope or sight it, $200 to work on the stock... Its not that cheap anymore! Maybe if the right used gun shows up... Something to keep eyes open for at gun shows and at the stores.

The Rossi looks like it might be just the ticket. A .308 compact stock with iron sights for <$200 sounds pretty good.

The only lever in .308 win I could find was the Browning, which has a 13.5" stock. Plus, for some reason, DW doesn't care for lever guns (although I love them). So I can't see paying for Browning, then tacking on another few hundred bucks to mess with the stock all for an action she doesn't care for.

Thanks for the Rossi suggestion!

Savage 11FLYXP3

Need to be .308? Ruger has compact 300 RCM in left hand. They have .308 in standard left hand.

If you've got $ to spend you can go the custom trail...left hand stainless short action just the way she wants it!

Quote Originally Posted by nittanytbone View Post
    I was originally looking for a bolt because of the price... But by the time you shell out $500 for a Remington 700, $200 to scope or sight it, $200 to work on the stock... Its not that cheap anymore! Maybe if the right used gun shows up... Something to keep eyes open for at gun shows and at the stores.
    Can't speak for every gunsmith, but I think you should be able to get a stock shortened and a new pad installed for less than $200. Probably closer to $100; say about $35 for a new pad and $50-$75 for the shortening and pad install.

I'd say get the rem 700 youth in 7-08, it'll kill anything you can kill with a .308.

I got my son one in .243, great rifle, fits him fine and he shoots it well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Can't speak for every gunsmith, but I think you should be able to get a stock shortened and a new pad installed for less than $200. Probably closer to $100; say about $35 for a new pad and $50-$75 for the shortening and pad install.

$80 total with a Pachmayr Decelerator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'd say get the rem 700 youth in 7-08, it'll kill anything you can kill with a .308.

I got my son one in .243, great rifle, fits him fine and he shoots it well.

Exactly my thought

Default Browning Micro-hunter

should be available in .308, though Browning might not float your boat. I have one in 7MM-08.
    Drink indigenous.

Quote Originally Posted by nittanytbone View Post
    The Rossi looks like it might be just the ticket. A .308 compact stock with iron sights for <$200 sounds pretty good.
    I'm looking at the Rossi for my wife also (but in the .243 Trifecta setup) which will also give me small .243, .22, and 20ga. rig to pack/supercub/whatever. Also look at the NEF (H&R) rigs and caliber (and stock) variations.
    http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...4290967a.shtml
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.asp
    http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotg...s/survivor.asp