Thread: New Limit on Shrimp Pots

Default New Limit on Shrimp Pots

On the fishing forum it was brought to our attention that the ADF&G was going to increase the shrimp pot limit from 5 pots to 8 pots.
    I am going to go to Whittier and try shrimping for the first time this year.
    I see that this new pot limit ruffled a few feathers with some guys. They seem to think this will lead to overharvest.
    I do not believe this to be true myself. The reason for my thinking is this:
    1) Not everyone who will shrimp this year can afford to spend $200-$300+ on the additional pots, line,buoys,etc..
    2) those who get enough shrimp with 5 pots may find running the additional gear unneccessary.
    3) Those who live farther away from Whittier and/or Valdez may get there shrimp in fewer trips than normal. with fewer trips saving money on gas, tunnel fees,lainch fees etc.. but still harvest close to the same amount of shrimp. The cost savings may equal the cost of additional gear.
    4) ADF&G determined the overall biomass in PWS to be healthy enough to allow a limited commercial harvest this year.
    5) According to some people (I havent personally verified this) the Recreational shrimp harvest is @ 90,000#. The commercial harvest will be @ 55,000#. Even if the recreational harvest goes up 60% (if all shrimpers utilize 3 additional pots) That would raise the sport harvest by 54,000# or about equal to this years commercial quota.
    My understanding is the commercial quota is largely based on the overall biomass, total allowable catch, and sport harvest with a 60/40 sport/commercial split.
    That being said it seems ADF&G is raising the sport harvest with the additional harvest possibly equaling the commercial harvest level.
    Does it seem this way to anyone else?
    Just for the record I am not for/against a commercial harvest if the biomass of shrimp allows for it.
    What is everyones opinion on this pot limit increase?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I tend to trust the ADF&G bios unless there appears to be a clear conflict with their data. In this case, it seems like the biomass can support what will likely be a minimal increase in harvest. As for our boat, I'm fairly certain we'll take advantage of the new limit.

I'm with Brian...I don't see a problem. I know that ADFG was considering an increase in the pot limit, but I haven't seen an anouncement about it, yet. Did I miss it?

Default Shrimp pot limit increase

Yes it is nice to see a healthy fishery that can support this increase.
    I guess I should have been more clear on my op.
    What I was getting at is there is the potential for an increase in sport harvest close to or equal to this years commercial harvest quota.
    It almost seems to me like this could be a means of eliminating the commercial harvest for next year?
    Anyone else see it this way?
    Or could the overall shrimp biomass be healthy enough to support both?
    One would think they would wait and see how the commercial season goes before letting us sports guys use additional gear.
    As I said previously I am not against commercial shrimping.
    To allow both additional sport gear and commercial seasons open at the same time seems a bit odd to me.
    I have not seen anything in print on this but it was posted in a thread on the fishing forum that ADF&G people claim this will happen.

The commercial season has a hard quota, so the # of shrimp taken in that fishery is known ahead of time. I'm assuming that they are extrapolating what the additional catch will be from the increased pot limit through what they already know about fisherman effort and catch per pot rates. They've got data on how many shrimp folks catch per pot, and also how many pots people run. There's surely some gray area there in how many people will run the additional 3 pots, but I'm thinking that they could come pretty close with their estimate of what the catch will be.

Looks like someone posted it in the main fishing forum already, but here's the EO:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...rimp%20_2_.pdf

It's now 8 pots/person and 8/vessel.

Yeah I saw that.
    Also according to the report there are plenty of shrimp to go around.
    I also see that some of the numbers thrown around by others on this forum were way off . Good to see some real data from ADF&G.
    This really throws out my original thinking.
    But it all looks good.
    I am not sure I will have room for eight pots. Nor the desire to run the extra line and buoys. I know my ace will not handle large strings of pots anyway.
    Personally I was thinking of buying 1 additional pot for a total of 6 on 3 strings of two pots each

Chris,
    All I have is the ACE and I run 2 strings now 3 on one and 2 on the other. Never have any problems with hauling 3, I've done all 5 once but it was a pain. So if your gonna run 3 strings you might want to do as I plan to and run 2 with 3 pots and 1 with 2 pots. Or just leave those extra shrimp for me. lol
    Dave

This will be our first time soaking shrimp pots. I bought my gear this week and I was informed by the respected merchant that the limit was increased from 5-8 pots this year. It didn't matter to me because I only planned to by 4 pots for now. I also picked up my first permit this week and the nice gentleman who issued the permit made a point to tell me there was a 5 pot limit per boat. Now, I don't care if it's 5 or 8 but I do have an issue with a F&G department that either enjoys spreading rumors or enjoys misleading the sportsmen.

Default Rumor

I heard that 155 boats have signed up for the commerical shrimp openner.
    I heard that you can have 4 pots on 1 line with 1 float but if you add a fifth pot you have to add another float.
    I heard that you can only set and pull gear from 8am to 4 pm each day.
    I heard that the blue card is good for the person who applied for the permit but if you have a deck hand they will require a deck hand lc.
    I heard pot size is limited to 124 inches or less.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    I heard that 155 boats have signed up for the commerical shrimp openner.
    I heard that you can have 4 pots on 1 line with 1 float but if you add a fifth pot you have to add another float.
    I heard that you can only set and pull gear from 8am to 4 pm each day.
    I heard that the blue card is good for the person who applied for the permit but if you have a deck hand they will require a deck hand lc.
    I heard pot size is limited to 124 inches or less.
    Its close to 200 boats when i looked last night
    Didn't hear anything about pot string limits or number of buoys needed, limit per boat not announced yet (i'm thinking 25 or less per boat)
    Hours to haul will be limited
    As in all commercial fisheries your crew needs a crew lincense
    Yup 124 or less, 4 or less tunnels per pot

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Additional Info

Received the following info from an ADF&G website and had some questions/clarifications:
    1) Is the State of AK Business License ($50) required for COMFish Shrimping, like it is for Sport Fish Charters? NOT REQUIRED
    2) Please confirm my understanding that the skipper/owner of the vessel that purchases the ADF&G Vessel (Triangle) License (and is doing the shrimping) does NOT need a separate Crewmember License ($60). However, any other deckhands or buddies assisting in the shrimp take or vessel operation must have the separate Crewmember License. BLUE CFEC Permit Cards are also our individual "Crewmember" Licenses. Our Permits allow us to serve as crewmember/deckhands on each other's vessels to harvest the shrimp pots permitted to that vessel only.
    3) Can 2 or 3 of us separate Vessel (Triangle) License/CFEC Permit holders go to a Shrimping area together in each of our vessels and then transfer to each other's vessels to assist one another with their individual takes? Yes. Will that require separate Crewmember licenses also? No. See question 2 above. ONLY the pots permitted to the vessel may be operated by crewmembers on that vessel. I.e. we can't use just the one vessel to pull/re-bait the pots permitted to other vessels.
    4) Can we carry spare/replacement pots on board our vessels, greater than whatever the total in-water number permitted? NO spares are allowed to be on board in access of the vessel pot limit during the fishery. We may be able to cache extra pots somewhere other than on the vessel, for access in the event of lost pots later. suggested You may want to speak with State Trooper Tony Beck @ (907) 835-4307 for his interpretation.
    5) Is the Cordova District requiring separate ID tags on EACH of our pots? Not for 2010, as the Fishery was created too fast to get tags made up to sell to us. Will you still supply them? Yes, for a price, if required in the future.
    6) Are two buoys required on our pot lines, one at each end of the longline per the info below? 5 AAC 31.051 says just one Buoy is required per pot, so it's confusing. Can we run a string of 5 to 10 pots on a single longline? A longline string containing from 1 up to 4 pots only requires 1 Buoy, minimum. For longlines containing 5 or more pots, we will need at least 1 Buoy at each end of the longline (Pg 107 of Reg). The Buoys only need the ADF&G Vessel (Triangle) License number printed on them in 1.5" high numerals with 1/4" wide lines (Pg 86 of Reg).

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/shellfsh/pws_ps.php
    COMMERCIAL CREWMEMBER LICENSE

Resident
    Nonresident
    Annual Crewmember License

$60.00

$200.00
    Annual Child Crewmember License (10 or less years old)

$5.00

$145.00
    7 Day Crewmember License

$30.00

$30.00
    Duplicate Crewmember License

$5.00

$5.00

Business License $50 annually

Commercial Crewmember Information
    A person engaged in commercial fishing is considered a commercial fisherman and must hold a commercial fishing license. Commercial fisherman means an individual who fishes commercially for, takes, or attempts to take fish, shellfish, or other fishery resources of the state by any means, and includes every individual aboard a boat operated for fishing purposes who participates directly or indirectly in the taking of these raw fishery products, whether participation is on shares or as an employee or otherwise; however, this definition does not apply to anyone aboard a licensed vessel as a visitor or guest who does not directly or indirectly participate in the taking; and the term "commercial fisherman" includes the crews of tenders, processors, catcher processors or other floating craft used in transporting fish. Persons who need to obtain a crew member license include persons handling fishing gear, the cook, the engineer and any crewmembers who assist at all in maintenance, navigation, docking and operation of the vessel (including taking aboard fish from tenders or catcher vessels). Other crewmembers on a processor or catcher processor do not need a crew license if they work only on the processing line.
    5 AAC 31.223. Lawful shrimp pot gear for Registration Area E
    (a) In Registration Area E, shrimp may be taken with pots only as specified in this section.
    (b) A shrimp pot may not have
    (1) more than one bottom;
    (2) a vertical height of more than 24 inches;
    (3) more than four tunnel eye openings, which individually do not exceed 15 inches in perimeter;
    (4) a bottom perimeter exceeding 124 inches.
    (c) The sides of a shrimp pot may only be
    (1) at a right angle to the plane of the bottom of the pot; or
    (2) slated inward toward the center of the pot in a straight line from the bottom of the pot to the top of the pot.
    (d) A shrimp pot must be entirely covered with net webbing or rigid mesh. At least two adjacent sides or 50 percent of the vertical or near-vertical sides must be covered with net webbing or rigid mesh that allows the passage of a seven-eighths inch diameter by a 12 inch long wooden dowel, which upon insertion into the web, must drop completely through by its own weight, without force.
    (e) Shrimp pots may only be operated as follows:
    (1) the department will announce annually, before the opening of the commercial shrimp pot fishery season, the number of shrimp pots that may be operated from a vessel in the commercial shrimp pot fishery for that season, not to exceed 100 shrimp pots per vessel; in determining the annual pot limit, the department will consider the
    (A) total number of registered vessels;
    (B) estimated catch per unit of effort; and
    (C) magnitude of the guideline harvest level;
    (2) a vessel operator may have only shrimp pot gear registered to the vessel on board the vessel at any time;
    (3) shrimp pot gear may be deployed or retrieved only from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. each day; the commissioner may close, by emergency order, the fishing season in a district or portion of a district and immediately reopen the season during which the time period allowed to deploy and retrieve shrimp pot gear may be increased or decreased to achieve the guideline harvest level;
    (4) shrimp pots may not be left in saltwater unattended for more than 14 days unless all bait containers have been removed and all doors secured fully open;
    (5) a vessel operator may not, at any time, have more than the legal limit of pot gear for the vessel, established under (2) of this subsection, in the aggregate on board the vessel, in the water in fishing condition, or in the water in non-fishing condition.
    5 AAC 31.226. Shrimp pot marking requirements for Registration Area E
    (a) If required by the department, in addition to the requirements of 5 AAC 31.051, each shrimp pot must have one identification tag issued by the department attached to the pot. If required by the department under this section, identification tags will be issued before the fishing season, uniquely numbered for that registration year, and issued at the time of vessel registration for that vessel only. The vessel owner, or the owner's agent, shall apply for identification tags at a department office designated to issue tags. Replacement of tags lost during the season is permitted if the vessel operator submits a sworn statement or affidavit describing how the tags were lost and listing the numbers of the lost tags.
    (b) All shrimp pots on board a registered shrimp vessel must be marked as specified in (a) of this section.
    (c) Shrimp pots deployed on a longline, including five or more pots, must have at least one buoy attached to each end of the longline. The buoys must be properly marked as specified in 5 AAC 31.051, and the pots must be marked as required under (a) of this section.
    5 AAC 31.235. Closed waters in Registration Area E
    (a) The following waters are closed to the taking of shrimp with trawl gear:
    (1) waters enclosed by a line from Point Whitshed to Point Bentinck, a line from Cape Hinchinbrook Light to Seal Rocks Light to Zaikof Point (60 19.00' N. lat., 146 55.00' W. long.), and by a line from a point at 60 11.00' N. lat., 147 20.00' W. long. on the northwest side of Montague Island, north to a point at 60 30.00' N. lat., 147 20.00' W. long., then east to a point at 60 30.00' N. lat., 147 00.00' W. long., then northeast to Knowles Head (60 41.00' N. lat., 146 37.50' W. long.);
    (2) the waters east of a line from Porcupine Point at 60 44.60' N. lat., 146 42.10' W. long. in Port Fidalgo to the southernmost tip of Bligh Island at 60 48.30' N. lat., 146 47.90' W. long. to the northernmost tip of Bligh Island at 60 52.90' N. lat., 146 46.00' W. long. to Rocky Point at 60 57.00' N. lat., 146 46.20' W. long.
    (b) The following waters are closed to the taking of shrimp with pot gear:
    (1) waters enclosed by a line from the north entrance to Pigot Bay at 60 49.98'N. lat., 148 18.96' W. long. to Point Culross (6045.42' N. lat., 148 08.88' W. long.), a line from a point on the southeast side of Culross Island at 60 39.54' N. lat., 148 05.58' W. long south to Nellie Juan Light (60 35.87' N. lat., 148 06.12' W. long.) and east of a line at 148 20.00' W. long. connecting the north and south shores of Port Nellie Juan;
    (2) waters north of a line from Flent Point (60 56.52' N. lat., 147 08.34' W. long.) to a point on Bligh Island at 60 48.96' N. lat., 146 48.96' W. long., and north of a line from a point on the southeast shore of Bligh Island at 60 48.60' N. lat., 146 33.42' W. long.;
    (3) waters south of a line from Point Grace (60 04.80' N. lat., 147 51 .00' W. long., to a point on the northern end of Evans Island at 60 06.66' N. lat., 147 53.34' W. long., a line from a point on the south end of Latouche Island at 59 56.34' N. lat., 148 02.28' W. long. to a point on the south end of Elrington Island at 59 55.92' N. lat. 148 12.78' W. long., and a line from Lonetree Point Light (59 58.97' N. lat., 148 12.00' W. long.) to a point on the south entrance to Squirrel Bay on Evans Island at 59 59.82' N. lat., 148 09.42' W. long.
    5 AAC 31.245. Reporting requirements for Registration Area E
    (a) A CFEC permit holder that participates in the Prince William Sound commercial shrimp pot fishery shall obtain and complete, daily, a logbook provided by the department. It is unlawful to falsify a logbook entry. The CFEC permit holder must
    (1) have the logbook on board the vessel at all times;
    (2) make the logbook available upon request to a local representative of the department or peace officer of the state; and
    (3) submit to the department the completed logbook pages with each corresponding ADF&G fish ticket.
    (b) The operator of a catcher-seller vessel or a catcher-processor vessel used to take shrimp in Registration Area E shall complete an ADF&G fish ticket before any shrimp are removed from the vessel. Before landing shrimp, the operator of a catcher-seller vessel or catcher-processor vessel shall contact the Cordova office at a telephone number provided by the department at the time of registration and provide the following information:
    (1) the CFEC permit holder's name;
    (2) the name of the vessel and the ADF&G number of the registered vessel;
    (3) the following information for each ADF&G fish ticket that pertains to that trip:
    (A) the preprinted fish ticket number;
    (B) the date of landing;
    (C) the statistical areas fished;
    (D) the number of pot lifts in each statistical area;
    (E) the round weight of all shrimp taken by species and statistical area.
    (c) Each week, the operator of a shrimp pot vessel operating in Registration Area E shall contact, by telephone, the local area office in Cordova before 12:00 noon Wednesday at a telephone number provided by the department at the time of registration and provide the following information:
    (1) the CFEC permit holder's name;
    (2) the name of the vessel and the ADF&G license number of the registered vessel;
    (3) the following information for each ADF&G fish ticket that pertains to that trip:
    (A) the number of pot lifts in each statistical area;
    (B) the round weight of all shrimp taken by species and statistical area.

Default commmercial shrimp openner

20 pot limit 15 April 8 am to 18 April 4 pm

Default tender

Cooper River SeaFoods is sending a tender to the PrinceWilliam Sound Shrimp openner on April 15. I talked with him last week and explained to him the boats from Valdez had no place to under their shrimp other than Whitter or Cordova. Bill said he was sending a truck to Whitter to pickup shrimp and was taking shrimp at the cannery in Cordova. This morning he sent me an email stating that he was going to send a tender to the area. If you need a place to unload your catch give Bill a call and get on his list.

Just thought that I would let you know that I am going to send one of my tenders over to buy shrimp, in case you are interested. He will have bait and Ice. I am not sure how we are going to buy them, I am thinking maybe Ocean Run because a lot of the guys have never sized shrimp and it would take too much time to size on the tender. Let me know if you are interested and I will add you to my list.

Bill Bailey III

Vice President
    Director of Value Added Products
    300 Cannery Row
    Cordova, AK 99574
    Ph: 907-424-3721 Fax: 907-424-7435
    Cell: 907-253-7652
    bbailey@CopperRiverSeafood.com<mailt...verSeafood.com>
    www.CopperRiverSeafood.com<http://www.copperriverseafood.com/>

Great to know. Thanks for posting this! I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to make it out for the opening, but if I do, I'm glad Copper River is going to be buying. I sold sablefish to them last year, and they are without a doubt the most professional processor I have ever dealt with.