Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which reel for 8wt

Default which reel for 8wt

So I had an oportunity to get a salt water rod g loomis cross current glx 9'. and I want to get a reel for it but i dont know which. I was looking at a Ross evolution lt #4 but heard that it would not do the job for the fish im looking to catch. I'm new to fly fishing in genreral so any help would be nice looking to spend 320 or less for the reel. Got the rod to use when I visit family in Florida Moslty for Snook, Redfish, Tarpin,bonefish. But while im here at home it would be nice to use for kings silvers Coho and Steel head if possible.

I can get a new Ross canyon black or gold for 220 heard mixed reviews on this reel and i know they're no longer made.

Grew up spear fishing and line fishing, but since mooving up here i have fallen in love with fly fishing.

thanks for any assistance.
    GG

Lamson, that is all you need to know
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Lamson makes good stuff for sure. I have the Velocity on my 7wt and love them. I also have the Ross Evolution 3.5 on my 8wt rig and that is a fantastic reel. Best I own in fact. I have used it on countless silvers and this reel is impressive in every way. I have the Ross Big Game Canyon reels for my 10 wt outfit but have not used it yet. Got it for kings in Alaska and false albacore in the salt of the Outer Banks in NC. The evolution is much lighter, the Canyon appears to be built like a brick shet house. If I were you, I would look at the Evolution first, then decide. With that said, the Lamson Velocity has a fantastic drag and was much cheaper when I bought these reels (2.5 years back). Many ways to skin a cat and these three options are all well suited from what I can see.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Lamson Konic is probably the best reel in its price range, though their new Guru looks worth checking out, too.

G-loomis venture 7

Although I am new to fly fishing (2yrs), I have the Waterwork Lamson Konic for my 8wt, and it is the best rod/reel combo I have used so far. Hope that helps... <((((><

The loop multi is hands down the best reel value on the market. I have the multi 3/6 and it's a truly outstanding reel by any measure. The loop multi 6/9 is $250, spare spools are $100, it has a fully sealed "power matrix" drag which is the same as what they put in their behemoth Opti series that retail for a grand or more. Give it a try!

Great rod; I have it in the 8 and 9 weights. For 6-20 pound salmon and the largest of trout, the reels listed will work, but Tarpon is a different animal and this rod is way outmatched. As are the reels! I've had a Velocity 3 and 3.5, BG4, and now Solitude 3 on this rod and all worked great for all but big kings. If you don't want to experience the Loomis warranty, I would outfit this beauty for AK with a Velocity 3.5 or Solitude 3 or 4 and tread lightly in warm water. If you want a pic of the Solitude/CC together, I'd be happy to post one!

saltwater fishing ? need titanium reel. Salt can destroy a reel fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Great rod; I have it in the 8 and 9 weights. For 6-20 pound salmon and the largest of trout, the reels listed will work, but Tarpon is a different animal and this rod is way outmatched. As are the reels! I've had a Velocity 3 and 3.5, BG4, and now Solitude 3 on this rod and all worked great for all but big kings. If you don't want to experience the Loomis warranty, I would outfit this beauty for AK with a Velocity 3.5 or Solitude 3 or 4 and tread lightly in warm water. If you want a pic of the Solitude/CC together, I'd be happy to post one!

I'd love to see a pic, are you happy with the reel any problems. I've caught loads of tarpon on small tackle.

Lamson tough to beat

Default what reel?

As you can see reel's are just like butts an every one has one once you get passed the $100 bracket [cost]it is drag ,drag,drag, if you want one, there are alot of good reel's out there, if money is a problem the the Okumer in the A size that will accept the line with backing an give you a little room to spear an I am a little dab will do you fly fisherman, just a beginner like you

The Velocity is a great value, maybe the best in the under $200 range. I have moved to Solitude because I like their look, anodized rounded edge aluminum frame, great drag, simple design and NO clicker. They are in the $225-$300 range. They are a small company, but are built as well as reels costing a couple hundred more. If you decide you want one, I have some connections with the company.

The first pic has a 3 on the rod and a 4 next to it for comparison!

Silver reel, gold reel seat. Seriously man, how do you sleep at night
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Some people have no shame at all.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Because I don't take rectal temperatures for a living

Guess the other pic got dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    Because I don't take rectal temperatures for a living
    Drumroll, please!

What's the budget? Do you want something pretty or something effective?

Also, where are you targetting tarpon? A big tarpon rod is overkill for bones.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Thumbs up Solitudes

A forum member here hooked me up with a #2 and #3 last year. I used them and abused them. I mean I gave them the workout from He!!. Reds, silvers, bows, dollies up and down the river. They never missed a beat. I even ended up using my trout reel for reds to see what it could do. It was freaking amazing. The drag was smooth and perfect. Once you set it after the first fish I never had to touch it again the rest of the day. It had been a while since I had that much confidence in a reel and I have total confidence when fishing my Solitudes
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Lamson

I'm no reel guru but I have a Lamson velocity and I really like it, drag and everything is smooth! spins well, reels nice and stays clean. Not a lot of space for dirt and grime to accumulate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast