Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet puller a necessity?

Default Bullet puller a necessity?

Quick question, have a .270wsm and needed to pull some bullets, ran down and grabbed RCBS "green hammer" model but back home realized it doesn't fit the WSM fatboy cartridge, I made do by black taping it tightly (rather than screwing the top on as it was too small) and it worked but was hokey, pretty sure it is all that is avail. in Kodiak

Do you guys think I need a bullet puller, use em enough or is it just one more thing that sits around?

Pretty sure I'll end up getting one but see on Sinclair site there are quite a few options,

Your Recommendations?

that will work for fatboy cartridge?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quinetics inertia type puller. You may not use one very often but it you want to reuse the pulled bullets I would go with the Quinetics.

Default The RCBS collet type puller

has worked well for me for years. Just have to learn not to make the collet too tight or too loose.

On the RCBS hammer puller, throw away the hokey 3 piece oring collet they supply with it and just use the shell holder out of your press.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    has worked well for me for years. Just have to learn not to make the collet too tight or too loose.
    Yep, buy one of these and it will outlast you. All sorts of reason to remove bullets and break down the cases
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Do you guys think I need a bullet puller, use em enough or is it just one more thing that sits around?

Pretty sure I'll end up getting one but see on Sinclair site there are quite a few options,

Your Recommendations?
    I know there are some reloaders/shooters that never make a mistake, never pull a shot, and all their rifles shoot less than half MOA. However for me and a few others that suffer from being less than perfect I think a puller is a necessity. I plan for mistakes and check and recheck my loading steps to absolutely confident that all my ammo is precisely assembled, but loading thousands and thousands of various combinations I have occasionally made a mistake. Without a bullet puller there will be occasions that disposing of the entire cartridge is the safest route. Better to have it and not need it IMO.

I consider it much like a spare tire. I maintain my car and I am careful on & off of the road, but accidents happen and it is best to carry it with you all the time IME.

I have used inertia style and collet style pullers. I prefer the inertia style (looks a hollow, plastic hammer), but the collet style performs better with crimped cartridges IME and is a very useful tool as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I know there are some reloaders/shooters that never make a mistake, never pull a shot, and all their rifles shoot less than half MOA. However for me and a few others that suffer from being less than perfect I think a puller is a necessity. I plan for mistakes and check and recheck my loading steps to absolutely confident that all my ammo is precisely assembled, but loading thousands and thousands of various combinations I have occasionally made a mistake. Without a bullet puller there will be occasions that disposing of the entire cartridge is the safest route. Better to have it and not need it IMO.

I consider it much like a spare tire. I maintain my car and I am careful on & off of the road, but accidents happen and it is best to carry it with you all the time IME.

I have used inertia style and collet style pullers. I prefer the inertia style (looks a hollow, plastic hammer), but the collet style performs better with crimped cartridges IME and is a very useful tool as well.
    This is timely, because just this week I bought the Forster collet type puller for use on my 35-30/30 cartridges. I may not know how to use it correctly because I was having to tighten the collet VERY tightly to get the bullets to pull, and more than once it damaged the bullet beyond future use. I was regretting not buying the inertia type at the time. Am I doing something wrong? I know I have the right size collet.

I also recommend RCBS collet puller.

I have 2 Hammer pullers. spouse got tired of the banging away downstairs. I Bought the RCBS puller and collets. Is all I can say and it is cleaner also. Yes you need one.

+1 for The RCBS collet type puller. I thought I was the only one that made mistakes...LOL

Bullet puller is a necessity for me.

Yes, the RCBS collet type puller will work with WSMs. You have to purchase a collect for each caliber you load for and use the shell holder with it. I keep mine in one of the slots in my Redding Turret press.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If you make mistakes too, then I don't feel so bad.

My biggest use would have to be, when I seat a bullet too deep while I'm trying to arrive at a seating depth. I use the Plastic Hammer kinds.

BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK,

Try again,,,,,, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK,

Smitty of the North.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I just take the die off the press and put the cartridge in the shell holder. Then run the ram up till just the bullet sticks out of the top of the press. Grab the bullet with pliers and lower the ram. The bullets get a few minor scratches on them but not to bad. I then use the bullets for fowling shots when testing accuracy, so far they seem be be just as accurate as unscratched bullets.

I do have a RCBS collet puller I got cheap but still need to get a collet for. I got it just incase I ever want to pull a lot of bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    I just take the die off the press and put the cartridge in the shell holder. Then run the ram up till just the bullet sticks out of the top of the press. Grab the bullet with pliers and lower the ram. The bullets get a few minor scratches on them but not to bad. I then use the bullets for fowling shots when testing accuracy, so far they seem be be just as accurate as unscratched bullets.

I do have a RCBS collet puller I got cheap but still need to get a collet for. I got it just incase I ever want to pull a lot of bullets.
    Great tip...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    If you make mistakes too, then I don't feel so bad.

My biggest use would have to be, when I seat a bullet too deep while I'm trying to arrive at a seating depth. I use the Plastic Hammer kinds.

BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK,

Try again,,,,,, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK, BONK,

Smitty of the North.

Smitty I must have taken lessons from you as my basement produces those same sounds every time I am trying to get the desired bullet seating depth and or crimp on my 44 mag and 45 Colt cartridges.

I use the RCBS kinetic puller and have used it many times, In fact, i am getting ready to pull over a dozen of last falls left over hunting rounds, run the brass through the sizer again to bump the shoulders a little more and then reseat the bullets a tad farther out for throat wear.

If you only ever pull a few bullets then Bandhmo's method is OK. But if you ever get anal about hand loading, a real bullet puller is the only way to go, and I like the kinetic kind.

For example... you load up a bunch of rounds for load development to find your max with say four different bullet powder combos. You find your max loads and have a dozen over max rounds left over.

Another example... you work up some max loads with RL22 when it's 30 degrees out. load up 50 or 100 rounds of your new pet load and then you go out and do some shooting in 70 degree weather with your 30 degree max loads of temp sensitive powder and find you have a very stiff bolt and cratered primers. Now what?

Scenario #1 is quite common and in fact expected, at least for me and other hand loaders I know. Scenario #2 is from an actual occurrence of a guy I met at the range on warm summer afternoon when he brought out his 7mm RM and RL22 hand loads that had been worked up in cool weather.

There is a big learning curve with hand loading, and it never seems to end. Yeah, you will want a bullet puller.

I use the collet bullet pullers by RCBS and have them in all the appropriate diameters for me.

I made one out of a piece of aluminum plate. Works well.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default great tip

Thanks band!
    I've got a green hammer also... it gathers lots of dust. don't like it, wouldn't recommend it.

Default Why didn't I think of that

AK Lefty, cool idea and thanks for that I couldn't use the hammer puller because the WSM wouldn't fit when inside that "Hokey 3 pce. o-ring collet thing", the top wouldn't screw on,

So I used the case holder from the press and it fits perfectly, works good.

Can hardly believe the Bong, Bong, Bong, Bong, Bong, part of it tho,

Just that alone will make me more attentive to detail the first time,

Thanks for the tips folks, I'll be looking into an RCBS collet puller sometime soon but glad I don't have to rushorder one.

Shoot I've only loaded 120 or so and don't know why I asked the question on second thought, it's a must,

My left arm, "reaching around for the wallet" is getting a bit tired I guess and I was looking for a break.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I have the green hammer and had to go to the shell holder years ago because the collet wore out.

I refuse to shoot reloads of unknown origin. However I have bought lots of reloaded ammo for cheap and pulled the bullets and started over. I pulled almost 500 rounds of 243s using bandhmo's method a few years back,only I use side cutters and never grip the bullet where it will come into contact with rifling. I reused these bullets in spite of the tiny side cutter marks and there have been dozens of coyotes that never knew the difference. I probably wouldn't use them for match shooting but they are plenty good for minute of coyote!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast