Thread: Bear protection

Default Bear protection

I am considering a bear protection pistol and am interested in the Taurus JUDGE. I shoots either a .410 shell with four 00Bucks or a .45 long colt shell. And I believe this gun is not heavy enough to shoot the hot .45 long colt ammo. Are either of these shells considered as adequate bear protection?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I don't believe the anemic 45 Colt with the soft lead bullet would be a good choice but if you reload I would go with a moderate load with a much heavier bullet than than 255 grain. I shoot a 370 grain Cast Performance from my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt but I believe ther are some good hard cast bullet by Cast Performance of Bear Tooth Bullets in the 300-325 grain weight. Load one of those to about 1000-1100 FPS for the Judge and it would be a very good load for bear.
    Allen Glore

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    And I believe this gun is not heavy enough to shoot the hot .45 long colt ammo.
    I was wondering that same thing, and curious if you could load hot enough to get enough Volicity (heavy hardcast bullet) out of that small barrel without exceeding the pressure limitations on the gun.

Default Why that gun?

Are you wanting it so you can shot .410 shells for bird hunting?
    If not just get a .44, .454, .500. Where and when are you wanting to carry this gun?
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Bear protection

Thanks for your responses. The reason I have considered the Judge is that it would be a duel purpose pistol. I could use the .410 bird shot for grouse and I am told it would be good halibut medicine, but would it be plain foolishness to shoot a brown bear with the .410 buck shot or even the .45 long colt? You can probably tell that I never been faced with an angry Griz and I don't want to try waist my money or life thinking that I am protected when I really wouldn't be.

the .45 long colt?

The 45 Colt loaded with a heavy for caliber hard cast bullet in the 325 or 350 grain weight at 1000-1100 FPS will completely penetrate any Brown/Grizzly bear you might encounter.

I don't know which frame Taurus uses to make the Judge on, but it will more than likely be able to take the pressures of a 1000-1100 FPS load. A load like that would probably be about the same or less than the 44 mag on the market as far as pressures go.
    Allen Glore

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    The 45 Colt loaded with a heavy for caliber hard cast bullet in the 325 or 350 grain weight at 1000-1100 FPS will completely penetrate any Brown/Grizzly bear you might encounter.
    That is a Ruger Only load! DO NOT shoot any of the full power 45 Colt loads in a Judge!

The short answer to the posters question is NO! The Judge is meant to be a personal protection firearm for 2 legged critters. If you want a 410/45 Colt field gun look at Magnum Research. I think they still make one. If you want a 45 Colt for bear protection or hunting buy a Ruger or Magnum Research BFR or Freedom Arms or one of the high dollar Ruger conversions from Linebaugh.

Welcome to the forum.

There are numerous old threads on this forum that could help. My suggestion, read up on some old threads. Many sharp opinions and BS, but there will be a consistent theme if you read enough old threads. Some very knowledgable folks on these forums, some not so much. Use the "search" feature up top. Many will suggest a 12 gauge with slugs, some will suggest a 500 S&W with 4" barrel (my choice), some will suggest a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 (my choice), some will say a 454 Ruger Alaskan, some will say a 10 mm Glock (got one for black bears myself), etc... The list is long. At the end of the day, just be sure you are comfortable shooting what you buy and be sure to have it with you at all times. Many ways to skin a cat and no question has more varying opinions than "what bear gun?". When you use the search button, be sure to be on the forum main page. Meaning, don't "search" only the handgun forum. Many, many old threads that would be of use to you. My initial thought to your post, look at the Ruger Alaskan 454. My buddy has one for remote float trips. Sweet gun. Check out the hotter Buffalo Bore ammo while you are at it.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default BFR Hammer... .410/45 Colt

The BFR is basically a Ruger SBH on steriods...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Expand...e=BFR45LC-4105

Thanks for your responses. The reason I have considered the Judge is that it would be a duel purpose pistol. I could use the .410 bird shot for grouse and I am told it would be good halibut medicine, but would it be plain foolishness to shoot a brown bear with the .410 buck shot or even the .45 long colt? You can probably tell that I never been faced with an angry Griz and I don't want to try waist my money or life thinking that I am protected when I really wouldn't be.

Read Synd's post twice

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    The short answer to the posters question is NO!
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default bear protection

Thanks for the info. I knew I could count on you guys for the straight scoop, if not life saving scoop.

Taurus is now making the Judge chambered in 454 Casull, my loads listed do not even come close too the pressure limits of the 454 Casull.
    Allen Glore

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska View Post
    Taurus is now making the Judge chambered in 454 Casull, my loads listed do not even come close too the pressure limits of the 454 Casull.
    Must be a different animal than the 45 Colt judge huh?

EDIT: the Raging Judge Magnum...A quick google turned up this: "Like the Taurus Raging Bull line, the gun is big and it is heavy." Looks interesting.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-judge-magnum/

And it fires all 3 rounds. So if a person doesn't like the recoil of the 454, just make some medium 45 Colt loads like i listed and go hiking.
    Allen Glore

I work with Mike Cyrus at Cross Outdoors and we have been doing a lot of testing for a new ammo line he is about to hit the market with specifically for the Taurus Judge, both hot and mild loads.

Based on that testing, I would NEVER count on one of those guns in a bear defense situation due to how poorly they group. My guess is that it is due to the long jump the bullet has to the rifling because of the long cylinder. IMO they are purely man defense weapons only as I would not be confident in hitting where I was aiming outside of 20 ft or so.

Good god...the "Raging Judge Magnum". I thought I'd seen it all, but leave it to Taurus to create the fugliest revolver I've ever seen. If I was going to get a high pressure revolver, I'd NEVER trust a Taurus...but that's just me.

Now, that BFR Hammer... .410/45 Colt I like it.
    I may have to look at one of those.

this year, for my bear medicine, ill be forced to carry a remington model 760 pump in .270 win, with a 10 round clip (got nothin better).....yea im lookin for the best loads i can find lol

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    this year, for my bear medicine, ill be forced to carry a remington model 760 pump in .270 win, with a 10 round clip (got nothin better).....yea im lookin for the best loads i can find lol
    I have the same rifle in 30.06

Here`s a couple different .270 rounds you can get from akrstabout locally...

I`ve been shooting quite a bit of DT ammo and it is great.

160g Nosler partition

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=284

150 Nosler partition

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=218