Thread: Ptarmigan/Silvers Combo Trip?

Default Ptarmigan/Silvers Combo Trip?

My friend and I would like to put together a combo trip for Ptarmigan and Silvers. We live in Idaho and are experienced hunters with pointing dogs. We are also avid flyfishermen. We have both been to Alaska in the past.

I wonder if anyone could help with suggestions where to go. We don't need hand holding, but rather we need to be pointed in the right direction.

We would like to stay somewhere that has ready access to both fishing and hunting.

We would stay at a lodge if the price was not too steep. We definitely don't want $5000 or more a week flyouts.

Our plan is for about August 15 for a long week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We can exchange the favor by showing you a great chukar hunt if you can get to Idaho.

Eagle River/ Juneau

It seem to me that that is about the nether time of the silver run, there should be a few fish for sure but I'd look at the first few weeks of august or early september I'd spend some time on Kodiak fishing silvers and dollies, kodiak is absolutely the best place thats easy to get to in Alaska take a flight from anchorage or take the ferry from homer (more fun!) Around august 15th there will be rediculous rainbow fishing on the russian. And you can take a float plane up to a lake in the alpine and have at it on ptarmigan. If I'm around I'll take you fishing for gas money and boat trips or whatever we were to decide.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Valdez, Alaska

Default Silver and ptargiman

Silvers usually start around the end of July in Valdez. The bottom of the silver run in Valdez is not until after Labor Day. And even then, there are still fish that have not been caught by the netters. It lightens up but is still good. You can rent a small skiff in town from two places or fish Allison Point.

The ptargiman are going to be really high up in the mountains over this way. They will be eating blueberries and crow berries usually. They will still be in their summer brown colors too.

You could rent a camper and take your time coming over. Hunt the good looking places along the way. Fish Valdez and then take the ferry back over to Whittier and the road back to Anchorage. Just for the senic route.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012