Thread: New Kayak Angler to the site

Default New Kayak Angler to the site

Here are a few pics for you all.

Let me know if any of you guys are out there doing stuff like this
    Jeff

Here is a link to a video some friends made of a halibut catch a couple years ago. hope you enjoy it. notice the thrashing the hali made when it was in the net. lol pushed me around a bunch. fun times
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLecXn-_24w

Default Looks like fun!

Thanks for sharing the photos and video. I have not fished this way but this winter I have been lurking and reading about kayak fishing on a few different sites. It looks like a great time and thinking about getting that same kayak you have.That is the trident right? It looks like its very stable the way you can just sit on the side rail like that even with the butt trashing . I know guys fish up here with kayaks not sure how many. I do think this idea is getting more known all over. Thanks I enjoyed seeing your photos. Welcome to the forum!

Right on. Yup thats a Trident 15. a bit of a big yak to throw on the roof of an SUV but its nice floating. Im picking up a new Hobie Revo this weekend. I like the peddle drives more. Have a look at those. a bit more cash but if you troll it is way more comfy and efficient. Depends on how much you fish with the yak. But the trident is still a great boat. the 13 footer is a bit nicer in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by worldwideguide View Post
    Here is a link to a video some friends made of a halibut catch a couple years ago. hope you enjoy it. notice the thrashing the hali made when it was in the net. lol pushed me around a bunch. fun times
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLecXn-_24w
    Hey Man. Great video and great pics.

Im tentatively planning a trip around May 15th to QCI. I was hoping to stay around Masset or at one of the cabins on North Beach. Been in touch with someone who rents Kayaks out of Masset but he's not too familiar with the fishing.

Where was your base when you did this fishing trip? Care to share any info? I'd really appreciate it. You can PM me or email: joehorng79@gmail.com

Thanks.

If you fish off north beach you will catch alot of halibut. probably nothing over 70# but lots of eaters. 20-30#. The salmon are good in the head of the masset inlet. That larger salmon is one that a guest caught on the west coast of South Island. Plus there is crab able to dip net on the beach in July. Great place. my fave in Canada. I have a house there if you wanna buy it after your done Im also selling some rods and stuff. Let me know. As for kayak rentals. its tough. theres not many people up there that do that kinda thing.

Ive got a few posts about the area your going to on my website.
    http://www.canadiankayakanglers.com check out the BC area on my forum

http://www.canadiankayakanglers.com/...php?topic=92.0
    Merry Christmas Some guaranteed Halibut from tha kayak

Nice pictures! So your doing this in Alaska too? How far do you paddle out? What kind of weather can those kayaks handle.

I dont see how this works, if a guy were to do this in seward he would have to paddle out 20 miles.

This has my intrest but looks dangerous as heck and I dont know of anyplace here I could take one of these out for a day trip and do decent fishing.

Very cool, thanks for the pics and video.

Rimfire, I don't think WWguide is doing this in Alaska. BC coast area I think.
    I have been interested in this for a while also but have the same thought if I got a SOT where would I go fish. I think there are some places that might work out if one was really comfortable with the boat. From what I've read the SOT (sit on top) kayak is easy to self rescue if needed. Seward could work when the silvers are in you wouldn't have to go out very far. I think even on the right days one could have fun just off shore a ways from homer on up along the bluffs. I don't think we need to always run out as far as we think to catch fish. There are big butts that come up close to the mouths of the rivers at times. I think this sport is catching on in many warmer water places and I've read that some of the charters are taking the people out to the fishing grounds then they fish off in the kayaks from the mother ship. Up here I think you'd better have a good dry suit to even think about this kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by worldwideguide View Post
    http://www.canadiankayakanglers.com/...php?topic=92.0
    Merry Christmas Some guaranteed Halibut from tha kayak
    Thanks man! Just sent you an email and checked out your website.

I was up in the Queen Charlotte Islands. Closer to Alaska then Canada really. but your souther parts. There are people fishing in the Prince of wales islands and other parts of alaska that Im aware of. I have friends that venture up your way each year to Valdez to fish Salmon Shark out of a yak. If you google salmon shark kayak fishing you will see alot of pics of my buds. there are also guides in your state. a couple of decent gents are up there taking guys out for $. Timing and planning are key to a good outing. On the charlottes I have fished some ugly waters with my various SOTS. here is a link to an article about a trip I guided. wow! huge seas and near impossible conditions. just so happened it was my first guided group. lol. kinda blows when your trying to get advertising. haha. but have a read of the article. nice place that area anyways.
    http://timshuff.com/portfolio/kayak-angler-spring-2009/
    You can fish any body of water with these bad boys. Ive flipped in giant surf, ugly waves, tidal rips, huge swells. and it is easily flipped over and pretty darn comfy. I dont have alot of paddling experience like these techy guys. I just pretty much go fishing in whatever comes at me. lol. I probably have an ugly stroke but whatever. point a to point b and my paddling is geared to what Im after. not really for sight seeing and what not. the thrill of getting towed. or getting a towjob is a better description

worldwide,
    are you referring to Howard Mckim and Chris Mautino?
    Chris is a good friend of mine and has a kayak fishing/guiding business here out of Seward, Liquid Adventures. some of his kayak fish trips use a water taxi drop off/pick up to more productive waters outside the Bay.

BTW, nice king in that earlier photo! I'd love to hook into one of those bruisers from a kayak... I'm gonna try kayak trolling for lakers here next week... cant wait!