Thread: Iam a little old fashion and stange when it comes to cleaning my rifles and handguns.

Thumbs up Iam a little old fashion and stange when it comes to cleaning my rifles and handguns.

The thread of gun oil got me to thinking and was wondering who else use a bunch of diff products from the diff makers for gun cleaning..for when i come home from the range or they been out in there in really bad weather . i complete field strip the weapons and clean and lube and oil and go over with them with a fine tool comb to make sure they are working right ..

to me my personal firearms are a high dollar investment that meant to last a lifetime of use..

cleaning rods for the rifles and handguns

-x-Otis for m1a rifle cleaning kit l in own stowage case..
    -x-Airguns of Az pull through for the air rifle in own case
    -x-drewry handgun for the revolver in plastic stowage tube

the otis rifle and pistol double as the combo rifle section cleaning kit also ..along with the add on parts of the otis pistol and shotgun cleaning parts items to the rifle cleaning kit to make a complete kit for the rifles and shotgun and pistol units

the fixed length revolver cleaning rod works better in my book over the otis units for revolver cleaning ..

cleaning products ..

-x-air rifle i use the following companys
    -airguns of AZ oils and lubes for the air rifle and pistol
    -Napiers of london
    -diff English air rifle and pistol items

-x-holster and leather cleaning items
    -x-Galco leather cleaner and condition oil
    -x-Kg9 mirco leather kote paste
    -x-black powder co2 ball discharge unit to blow out the holster as they are need before cleaning them .. the unit is great for getting into area where dirt and other things get traped inisde the holster and the co2 powered unit is great for that very use ..

this three products on i use on my leather holster and mag pouch for the diff pieces of the ccw leather gun i own along with my old duty gear .

handguns pistol and revolvers
    -x-mp7 gun cleaning oil
    -x-miltec grease for slide and frame rails
    -x-miltec 1 clp oil for a unit i use for cleaning the weapon bore on the range and on the trip home form the range,,
    -x-kg12.borecleaner/copper remover

special cleaning and lubeing i items used for special items that i own ..
    -x-kg-1 carbon cleaner for cleaning of suppressor after fireing
    -x-weapon shield for suppressor threads and piston lube
    -x-silencer reseach ultra quiet gel for suppressor first round pop and the quietng of the suppressor as need
    -x-choke tube grease for the choke tube threads to make easlyer to unthread the choke from the barrel as need

little items i have in the diff cleaning kits
    -x-set of the diff cal revolver cleaning products i own in of bore brush and cleaning mops and others items i just add the new S&W m-460-cal items to the pile for i just picked up the revolver with the 5.'inch barrel for handgun hunting ..
    -x-dental picks to get into the diff areas of the pistol revolver or rifle and clean out the junk out as need
    -x-mag brush units for the diff magazine units.
    -x-mag take down tools
    -x-wilson chamber brush for a 45.acp pistol
    -x-double end gun tooth brush
    -x-cleanbore sac unit with the diff cal cleaning lube pellets in diff sized plastic stowage tubs with lids units to fire the little cleaning pellets lubed with gun clp oil on the range and right before i go home to get the barrle ready for cleaning .
    -x-scope cleaning kit in own hardshell stowage case
    -x-gunsmith screwdrivers kit for the diff screws on the weapons in own hardshell stowage case
    -

{ as a little side note to this unit ..they do make it easlyer to clean the bore after a range sesson to use the use to shoot a pre lube gun cleaning oil patch unit down the barrel and then wipe the gun down with a cloth then put into the range bag for carrying on the trip home ..by the time you get home the miltec1 clp and kg12.bore cleaner has started to work it magic along with the other cleaner unit it does a very good job of keeping weapon bores clean and ready to use i shoot one pre lub patch of miltec cleaner and one pre lubed patch of kg12 bore cleaner down the pistol or rifle barrel to start the cleaning of thw weapon intill i get home..}

with each unit in the above list has own fuction in the cleaning of the diff weapons i own

i put everything into a rubbermaid clear stowage totes to have everything togerther where i can find the products for cleaning of each weapon i own as one for the firearms cleaning and one for the air rifle cleaning products for air guns products should never been put into the weapon cleaning products for you could do major damage to a air rifle or pistol useing firearm cleaning produtcs ,.. ..

the suppressor unit is a high dollar investment and you need to keep it clean for the it life ..for paying about $.600.oo dollar plus the dealer fees and the $.200.dollar tax stamp per unit they are not cheap in the long run and need to keeped clean and some of the items lubed for use like the nelson device for helping with the recoil of the weapon to cock it in the weapon fireing cycle ..

plus iam a little bit of a nut case when it comes to my personal owned rifles and pistol cleaness iam a bit a---- when it comes to there oiling and lubeing but they have never let me down when the time to use them ....

I can relate... I am not as dilgent, or should I say "obsessive" about cleaning and protection as I used to be, but I once would have given you a run for your money... I blame mine on two accounts, the infantry teaching me a new respect for the word "clean" when applied to weapons, and same as you said, protecting high dollar investments.

Now I mainly use a 50-50 mix of Kroil and Hoppes for general bore cleaning, Sweets or similar for those that foul badly, Break Free CLP for general wipe down and basic lube. I like to play with different brands of oils and cleaners to see how they work on rifles I am working up loads or going to the range with. Keeps life intersting. I only use what is "proven" by my personal standards for hunting. No failurs allowed during a hunt!

I have ended up with a bajillion bottles of cleaners and lubes over the years from boxes of stuff I've bought at auctions and from deceased relatives. So it doesn't cost me much to experiment.

Good one piece cleaning rods are worth the money if you shoot/clean much at all, as well as good jag sets. A good gun vise, like a Tipton or similar is worth the money too.

One I haven't tried, and anxious to do so is Ed's Red. Just got a partial bottle a couple of weeks ago.....from my wife's deceased uncle along with about 20 bottles (all partially filled!) of lubes and cleaners for blackpowder and smokeless.

I bet you are one of those guys who on a cold winter day goes in your shop and dumps out all your hand tools and cleans and wipes them down, de-burr your chisels, works to get all the rust off, oils and organize them all back just like new. I say that because when I was younger I used to do that too

I have pretty good respect for my guns....I make sure they are well oiled in the gun cabinet and are clean of rust, powder, leaves, sticks, dirt and such.....I re-oil them at least 1x per week just for added protection....when in the field however if i have a blued rifle with me I clean them every morning and nite, I pretty much stick with rem oil (teflon) in the handi spray can, its always worked well for me...my gun cleaning kit is a gun slick universal, with a steel 3 piece (i keep 4 pieces just in case) cleaning rod and all brass components (i hate plastic and chintzy aluminum, ever had em break off on ya? thats what the extra rod piece is for)

About the Hoppes #9 cleaner in the small bottle.....do they make those bottles to tip over for no reason on purpose? seems like every time i bring out the hoppes, it mysteriously falls off the table or tips over (only after Ive taken the lid off)....I think thats the reason they sell so much of it

Release Lake Trout

i have to say it comes from two people and the miltiary..my grandfather and my dad where very hard on us when it came to basic cleaning of a rifle or handgun that was used for around the ranch and farm lands we had .. for they would take away your hunting and gun rights if they caught you with a dirty rifle or pistol ..they used to tell us they are tools take care of the tools .. they are not toy or playthings but tools to used in a safe way ..

the second part i have to blame on the U,S, Army for that one and beening under a guy wing when i was first in the Army that he was a clean freak when it came to the weapons we used a M.P and used to tell us that a dirty weapon was a sign of a person who did not keep themselfs clean and the area around them clean ..so it was just something that he drilled into us about keepin the weapons and gear clean..

and yes i do go over my tools to make sure there is no rust on them and i keep cleaned and neatly align in the upright craftmans tool chest i have for them ..and after useing them i wipe them down with a rag and make sure they get into the right spot on the tool chest drawer line out..

Default Good god man!

Can you say "obsessive compulsive"?

I think I'm old fashioned in the bush way: some solvent now and then on the movable parts, followed by gun oil and a good brush over with WD40 after every outing. My guns take a licking and keep on ticking. But hey, to each his own. I'm sure those companies love you!

[QUOTE=sayak;699471]Can you say "obsessive compulsive"?

my wife and few girlfriend have told me that one in the some areas where it comes to keep my weapons clean .

since i was 17 years old i have been involved in a field where a dirty weapon will get killed or hurt ..so it been a compulsive of me to keep a weapon clean and fuctioning for i feel that it worth the time and effert . for there is nothing like doing a arms inspection at a station house and they pull they side arms out the holster and you see the grime and crud in some this guys pistol it scary to think they are the ones you are going to back you up on a hot midnight run and they get there and the side arm is not going to work because twinkle toes would want to go out drinking after the range sesson that clean his weapon..

Default If you are inferring...

Henry2, that I leave "grime and crud" on my firearms, then you are mistaken. I clean them, and clean them well. But I don't obsess over them. I think it is great that you enjoy cleaning your guns and babying them. But I'd have to say that fire arms vary in their need for such attention (plastics, coatings, stainless, etc). The big thing for me is : Is the bore clean?

It is a great feeling to clean, oil and polish a blued and wood-stocked firearm, I agree. But when it's been cleaned up, oiled and wiped down, (IMO) it's good to go for all intents and purposes. I don't intend to eat off of it.

I feel a greater attachment to weapons that are getting a little thin on the blued areas, have a nick or two, or even (godforbid) some minor pitting than I do a pristine firearm. Also, I feel better about taking them out in the field, knowing that there won't be the first nick or scratch to feel bad about.

[QUOTE=sayak;699952]Henry2, that I leave "grime and crud" on my firearms, then you are mistaken. I clean them, and clean them well.

it not meant to be said like that and iam sorry ..i worked in a field for a lot of years where dirty weapon or handgun could lead you to getting hurt or killed and worked with a lot of guys who idea of gun cleaning was takeing wd 40 after a range session and useing to lube the gun and that was it ...

.so it became second nature to me to field strip and clean and protect the one thing that will protect me in my job ..so i get a little carryed away sometimes with the cleaning of the diff weapons i own ..along with the little bumps and scapes on them remind of a good hunt or a really bad night on the job but it all part of the package..

with a steel 3 piece (i keep 4 pieces just in case) cleaning rod and all brass components (i hate plastic and chintzy aluminum, ever had em break off on ya? thats what the extra rod piece is for)
    I'll take a broken or bent rod over damaged rifling any day. The soft aluminum or plastic stuff isn't as durable as steel, but it'll scratch before your rifling does.

Default No problem

[QUOTE=henry2;700044]
    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Henry2, that I leave "grime and crud" on my firearms, then you are mistaken. I clean them, and clean them well.

it not meant to be said like that and iam sorry ..i worked in a field for a lot of years where dirty weapon or handgun could lead you to getting hurt or killed and worked with a lot of guys who idea of gun cleaning was takeing wd 40 after a range session and useing to lube the gun and that was it ...

.so it became second nature to me to field strip and clean and protect the one thing that will protect me in my job ..so i get a little carryed away sometimes with the cleaning of the diff weapons i own ..along with the little bumps and scapes on them remind of a good hunt or a really bad night on the job but it all part of the package..
    I am pleased to be a part of the same crowd you move in: gun owners and hunters. As far as cleaning and maintenance, a man should reverence his tools, and "a stitch in time saves nine".

A fresh smell of solvent and oil makes me think back to being a kid. This meant dad got his rifles out and went through them. I remember looking but not touching. Its one of those smells that I can remember immediately.

one of my girlfriends told me this one night after a day at the range..for i had laid out all the rifles and pistol we had taken that day to the ranges and they where broken down on old towels to be cleaned and she was telling me i handle them better that i do a person ..

i looked up at her and went what ,,you treat those things better than you treat me at times .we where at the end of the road with us and i was not really in the mood to deal with her b.s at the time ..and basicly said because they do not do stupid things and they know when be quiet and when to be loud along with they do not think things about other people ..she was the type of girlfriend if you talked to another girl you where cheating on her and i was at the end of my rope on that game with her and she walked out the door and never came back ..thank god and greyhound i have to say..

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Can you say "obsessive compulsive"?

Ahhh, Ha, Ha! yup Henry2, you are a freek! but hey, that is A-OK. A clean freek is worlds better that dirty slob in my book.

Personaly I take a more simplistic aproach to gun cleaning.... I never clean in the field, and rarely at the range. When I do it is with Deweys coated rods (just because they seem more robust and sturdy) and brass jags, tips, etc. I only have two kinds of solvents now after trying dozens of different ones over the years, and they are Hoppies #9 and some sort of spray in foaming bore cleaner deal (cant remember the brand), oh, and also a couple cans of aerosol electrical cleaner.... oh, and isopropyle alcohol.... yup, that's pretty much it.

I will usually run a wet patch of Hoppies # 9 down the barrel to push the big junk out and then plug the breach end with a chamber plug from Brownells, stand the barreled action in a 5 gallon bucket in the corner, and fill the barrel up with Hoppies # 9. I top it off ever day or so when I pass thru the garage as it evaporates out a bit, and then after a few days when I get around to it, I will dump the coal black syrupy old Hoppies out and hit the bore a dozen or so times with a bronze brush followed by patches till they come out clean. Blast the trigger group and action off with the electrical cleaner, let it dry and give everything a good wipe down with the alcohol including the bore. Lube it all up with some of that Hornady spray lube and she is done.... good to go. Very little effort on my part as the Hoppies will do all the work if you give it enough time.

The rifles that copper up pretty bad get hit with the foaming bore cleaner a few times before I switch over to the barrel full of Hoppies routine....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

If I was carrying a "weapon" in the field and my life and others depended on it's proper functioning, then I would clean it well and often.

A hunting (or even shooting only) rifle is a different story. When I clean them, I clean them very thoroughly, including removing from the stock, fushing the bolt and trigger with several treatments each with solvent and solvent remover (i.e. brake cleaner, etc.). I have used a number of bore cleaning products and the best I have used to date is Bore Tech Eliminator as far as speed and effectivenes go. Wipeout and Gunslick Foam Cleaner are also very effective but require a lot more time, but a little less effort than BTE. I have found Hoppe's to be worthless when compared to BTE and Wipeout. Others, like Butche's Bore Shine and Montana Extreme, KG-12, etc., are fair, but fail to get all the copper. I can pretty much guarantee ya if you clean with these, then you are not getting all the copper out, and if you want to prove it to yourself, wet your bore with some BTE and scrub it in a little with a nylon brush, wait 20 min, and watch your patch turn deep blue. Or... soak it over night with Wipeout. It will open your eyes.

I currently use Gun Juice to treat my bore and action and trigger after cleaning and removing residue. Then afte it's all put back to gether, put it away or shoot it to re-zero if it's hunting season. After that I leave it alone until accuracy drops off which is about 50 -70 rounds.

Anyway, I clean my rifles as little as possible to keep them accurate. Everytime I clean, I have to shoot to check my zero which often means a trip to the range and always means more powder, primers and bullets and shortened barrel life.

I do not use (anymore) oil on my guns.

My primary list of cleaning products...

BTE (used to remove primary powder and copper)
    BT Cu+2 Copper Remover (used to remove stuborn copper)
    Birchwood Casey Bore Scruuber (in a spray can to flush powder in bolt and trigger)
    KG-3 Solvent Degreaser (to remove cleaning residue and other material)
    Microlon Gun Juice dry lube (to treat and protect bore, bolt and trigger)

I also have...

Wipeout (when I'm not in a hurry)
    Gunslick Foam Cleaner (Gunslick is cheaper per oz and works just as well as Wipeout)
    Brake Cleaner
    Carb Cleaner

Default Lewis Lead Remover?

Henry2: you've set the bar pretty high! When I started hunting (2008), I started reading stuff. The section on rifle cleaning was in a chapter called, "Love Your Barrel" (Field & Stream, Rifle Maintenance Handbook). The author, Chris Christian, mentions a long list of products he's used and found effective.

It makes sense to me that clean/appropriately- lubed parts function precisely and last longer. Day in and day out, I think most about the cleaning the rifling, but I admit it's hard for me to tell when more effort or solvents would make a real difference. After reading a bore scope thread by Stid2677, that seemed like a good way to know - but they're spendy too.

I saw a product, Lewis Lead Removal System (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...S_LEAD_REMOVER) that seemed smart, just not sure it's necessary yet. Any thoughts?

Interesting thread, henry2.

i saw the effects of a person not keep a weapon clean along with guys who basicly thought of gun cleaning was to run a bore snake down the barrel a few times and wipe the handgun down with a rag and that was it ..

all the problems happened dureing training and never on the street thank god for small favors on that one..so i learned to do the one thing that i know will keep my life protected in this world ..keep my tools clean and sharp and they will not fail me when i need them in the my time of need ..

as one person say here iam little more than normal when it comes to cleaning and careing for my weapons but in the end my tools will not fail me when i need them .