Thread: My Summer Goal...

Default My Summer Goal...

O.K. each year, I make a goal for myself to learn new abilities. Last year My goal was to shoot a rifle for the first time since being injured. This Year I would really like to fly fish, Or at least spend a day learning how to, and hopefully catching something on a fly rod.. any left handed fly fisherman out there or do you have to use your right hand..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    O.K. each year, I make a goal for myself to learn new abilities. Last year My goal was to shoot a rifle for the first time since being injured. This Year I would really like to fly fish, Or at least spend a day learning how to, and hopefully catching something on a fly rod.. any left handed fly fisherman out there or do you have to use your right hand..
    I'm a lefty that uses his right to fish. Its more comfortable for me to operate my line/reel with my left hand. Its nothing to put the fly exactly where you want it w/ your right hand, its not a matter of strength or coordination its all about timing.

Shouldn't be any problem using your left hand for casting, you'll either have to hold the rod in the left or right hand when fighting the fish. And the same goes for reeling the line in, if the right hand can fight the fish or reel the fish in you could go with a left handed or right handed reel. Does this make sense?

Default all fly reels

are either. it all depends on how you wind the line on.
    casting can be done with either hand - pick up a "How to fly cast" video - Lefty Kreh makes a good one. get someone who knows how to give you some pointers - NOW - in the yard. its easier to learn how to use the rod when you aren't trying to catch fish.
    Gary

I'm normally a right handed caster, but one day when I was out I wondered what the casting implications would be if I ever injured my right hand/arm/shoulder and how'd I'd get by. So, the rest of the day I cast and worked with the left side. I realized I hope I never hurt my right side.

I will help if there is anything I can do!
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Kyle
    You could always show up at the lake and we could troll or even jig with fly rods. There is a thread on laker flies somewhere. Just an idea.

Mike

im a left handed fly fisherman...operatin the rod with my left and the line with my right. i used to be really good at it, able to perform long clean roll casts, but since i dont fly fish much anymore (i plan on doin it more this year) my casts end up sloppy or i lose pace lol, and get myself tangled up on those longer casts sometimes.

Release Lake Trout

Thanks for the hints, tips and tricks, I think I find a rod and just mess around with it in the yard, to see if its even possible. Or perhaps I can design something to make it possible. I can slightly use my wrist and only use my pinky and ring finger on my right hand... so we'll see..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I don't know who made the product, Lee and Joan Whulff maybe, but it was a contraption for learning to cast which essentially prevents your wrist from breaking at all. It was made to teach beginners how to cast which serves to illustrate the point that you do not need nor want to be using your wrist very much. That device might benefit you by adding some support.

I wouldn't be too worried about being able to learn to cast effectively with limited number of digits. Do you have a thumb on the right hand? That would probably help a lot.

You can make it work. I've seen it done by a guy with one arm.

I have a thumb, of no use, so yeah I stepped back down a notch on the evolutionary ladder

Default Idea

Ment with the utmost respect but with your injuries I would try a bowling wrist supporter or a rollerblading wrist guard and fasten the rod to your hand and use your left for stripping and reeling. Just a thought! Best of luck!

being able to cast with both hands is a great skill, but start with whatever feels natural, probably your throwing hand
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I have a thumb, of no use, so yeah I stepped back down a notch on the evolutionary ladder
    Kyle,
    Are you able to control the line with your right hand? Can you grab the line between your pinky and hand? It would seem to me that casting would be easier with your left hand as you have the ability to control the line with your left index finger. Fly line is fatter and may actually be easier to grip. Do you have a flyrod? I may have a 7 wt that I could bring out.

Mike

Kyle, are you an iraq war vet injured in combat? If so, we are starting an organization on base that's pretty much specifically what you're looking for called Project Healing Waters. We do Fly tying clinics, casting clinics and guided fishing trips for injured service members that served in iraq. We host fly tying clinics every other wednesday, casting clinics once a month (first one is tomorrow at the elmendorf fitness center @ 1530) and plan to host at least one fishing trip a month. Come on out tomorrow or PM me if this is something that you'd like to get involved with!

-Karl