Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kepler Bradley

Default Kepler Bradley

Decide to head out to the KP complex yesterday. I fished canoe for about an hour and lost a decent one. Then, headed over to KB to give it a try. Ran into this nice bow about 5 feet out from shore in about a foot of water. I didn't even think they had bows this big in there!! Can't wait to try it out on the fly rod this summer!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Killer bow! I can't believe how bright it is for this time of year. Must be alot of oxygen in Kepler

Theres bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Theres bigger.
    Shhhhhhh

Nice Fish, how thick was the ice?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Shhhhhhh

Uh..........not in that lake though.

I also meant to mention in my first reply, that is a nice fish though!!!

Our lakes here in the valley do have some nice fish, that is one of them.So did you eat him? The only reason I ask is if you let him go back one should be careful with your fingers in the gills when shooting photos. If you made dinner of him it don't matter. Nice rainbow!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Our lakes here in the valley do have some nice fish, that is one of them.So did you eat him? The only reason I ask is if you let him go back one should be careful with your fingers in the gills when shooting photos. If you made dinner of him it don't matter. Nice rainbow!
    i love to fish no doubt, but who in their right mind ice fishes and doesn't eat them? wheres the reward?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    i love to fish no doubt, but who in their right mind ice fishes and doesn't eat them? wheres the reward?
    Uh, me. The only fish I may eat are pike. I let all trout, Char and salmon go.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by heinhendge3 View Post
    Ran into this nice bow about 5 feet out from shore in about a foot of water.
    Big Cox....shallow water...no doubt
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Yup, grilled er up since it was nice out, I usually let 'em go to catch em on the fly, but I couldn't resist!

I was surprised in the color as well, lake is doing good. There was 20+ inches out there.

I guess I will have to find the lake that has the big ones........

TIGHT LINES!!

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Thats cool pike palace. If I impale my hook into a fishes mouth and yard it in I don't have the audacity to dishonor it by letting it go. Its a respect thing between me and the fish. I like to let the fish fulfill its destiny (especially a hatchery fish). Thats me tho, its not my business what others do

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post

Ditto

I deep fry Pike in beer batter and make fish sandwiches with lettuce pickle and american cheese out of them on a regular basis. Only trout I ever cared for were of the "native" variety and in clearwater fast running creeks. Call me picky but I grew up on them so I'm kinda burned out on trout. Its a personal choice and I have no problem with anyone eating thier catch. 90% of mine go right back down the hole to be caught again. I'm just out there to rip thier lips off! (figure of speech)
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Trout.....i love em! beer battered or baked in foil with butter, garlic, and jonnys. cant go wrong....dont think ive ever eaten pike yet...but im sure they are just fine.....nothin better to me though than catchin a nice fat rainbow or dolly or grayling , wrap it up in foil and seasonings ( which I ALWAYS carry with me in the pack) gettin a nice bed of coals goin and savoring a delicious streamside lunch. Its almost time, Im excited.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanassasin View Post
    Ditto

I deep fry Pike in beer batter and make fish sandwiches with lettuce pickle and american cheese out of them on a regular basis. Only trout I ever cared for were of the "native" variety and in clearwater fast running creeks. Call me picky but I grew up on them so I'm kinda burned out on trout. Its a personal choice and I have no problem with anyone eating thier catch. 90% of mine go right back down the hole to be caught again. I'm just out there to rip thier lips off! (figure of speech)

While I let nearly every rainbow I catch go, I have eaten a few over my 45+ years in AK. With that said, the trout and char taken from landlocked lakes in southcentral taste like a swamp. I'm sure it is a function of what they are eating. Most folks I know agree with my assessment. Anybody disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    While I let nearly every rainbow I catch go, I have eaten a few over my 45+ years in AK. With that said, the trout and char taken from landlocked lakes in southcentral taste like a swamp. I'm sure it is a function of what they are eating. Most folks I know agree with my assessment. Anybody disagree?
    yeah i totally disagree. For one thing, valley lakes aren't landlocked, they all are connected w/ flowing water. 1stly trout taste like their food source. Trout from local valley lakes are very tasty all winter long. they eat insect larvae, smaller fish, last but not least they eat zooplankton (very plentyful in valley lakes), which consists of fresh water shrimp, making their flesh red and flesh sweet. To me, a foul tasting trout is a stream trout that has been eating eggs and carcass of decomposing salmon, in the spring stream trout are awesome though.

kepler bradley complex area lakes are landlocked as you can get.

Release Lake Trout

as for stocked trout, yea i think it depends on the food source...ive had trout from stocked lakes that taste like crap ( mainly lakes that had alot of houses on it) and ive had stocked trout from lakes that had wide varieties of food sources and less people living on it that tasted excellent...and i think all wild trout taste excellent, especially any of the char species. rainbows from landlocked lakes arent always the best fare though.

Release Lake Trout

I agree Hunt&Fish, some of the lake rainbows do have a distinctly different taste at times. The one I caught had bright flesh and was pretty good eatin. Usually the only time I will keep 'em is if I am camping and have a nice fire going and throw them in tin foil as you do H&F. I just like to get out on the ice during the winter, drop a line, have a few beers and put most all of them go back in!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by heinhendge3 View Post
    I agree Hunt&Fish, some of the lake rainbows do have a distinctly different taste at times. The one I caught had bright flesh and was pretty good eatin. Usually the only time I will keep 'em is if I am camping and have a nice fire going and throw them in tin foil as you do H&F. I just like to get out on the ice during the winter, drop a line, have a few beers and put most all of them go back in!
    Yeah, that's me too. By the way I forgot to say NICE FISH!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast