Thread: Trolling Motor for 12' Jon Boat

Default Trolling Motor for 12' Jon Boat

I have no experience with electric trolling motors or how they are rated. I am looking for a small trolling motor for my 12' Jon boat to take the grandkids out on the local lakes around town. How big or should I say powerful of a tolling motor would it take to push a small boat like that around with say 300-400 lbs in it?

Default 30# thrust

You won't need anything fancy. Minn Kota Endura30 should do just fine. 30" shaft 30# of thrust is sufficient for a small jon boat or canoe.

My wife does alot of boating with a small skiff 9 foot plastic pontoon bass buggy and also a 16' hewescraft river runner for trout in the stocked Matsu lakes. She had a 36 pound thrust for years. It did well until she got in any sort of wind. Got her a 55 minkota last fall. She was a happy camper to say the least. Paid a little over 250 for it from cabelas with free shipping.

Last year Costco had some electric trolling motors for sale for about $150. or so. Has anyone had any experience with these. I believe they were Minkota motors.

Default electric motors

I have one of the smaller minn kota motors and it moves a small boat around good. As it's been said head winds can change things a bit. Sportsmans W. has a good line of them and as good a price as anywhere. The thing to keep in mind is it will only be as good as your battery.I paid more for the battery then the motor. Make sure to use a deep cycle and have it fully charged when you go out. The bigger the motor or the more power you give it will take the battery down faster. They are a great way to get around small lakes, no sound but the water lapping at the hull. look forward to soft water again. It won't be long!

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I have one of the smaller minn kota motors and it moves a small boat around good. As it's been said head winds can change things a bit. Sportsmans W. has a good line of them and as good a price as anywhere. The thing to keep in mind is it will only be as good as your battery.I paid more for the battery then the motor. Make sure to use a deep cycle and have it fully charged when you go out. The bigger the motor or the more power you give it will take the battery down faster. They are a great way to get around small lakes, no sound but the water lapping at the hull. look forward to soft water again. It won't be long!
    Power Drifter,
    Thank you for your input. That is the feedback I was looking for.

get 36 or 38 lbs thrust. as you a beginning to overload this boat. 400 plus battery and motor you are getting close. you dont have to run it wide open there are multiple settings for speed.

Default Minn Kota @ Costco

I bought one of these from Costco back in '02. It is a 42lb thrust. It has not failed me on the water. I had to replace the prop last year but that's because I abused it out of the water. I have used this motor on my 20ft drift boat to get to the pull outs faster on the Kasilof and Kenai Rivers. It will not take me back upstream with 5 people and a dog in the driftboat. I have also used this to cross Skilak Lake, although it won't get me back upstream once I enter the middle river. Forget about going across the lake when it's windy.
    I have recently built a layout duck hunting boat and will be using this motor on it. I have just to cut the shaft as the profile is low to the water.
    FYI, there also is a company called Torqueedo (Cruise, I think is the name of the model) (out of Germany) that is producing an electric trolling motor that can produce 9 (nine!) horsepower. Not cheap, but checking Cabela's show's a base price of $1,000 for the 2 horsepower model.

Just thought you might like to know

All the best!

emrdux

I fished the lakes on the back of Elmendorf for several years in a 12' v-hull and canoe. All I used was a 27 LB thrust MinnKota. A battery will last a long time and the power is more than enough. We had 2 adults and 1 child on board. Most of the smaller lakes where you would want to put a 12' boat on are not terribly windy.

I only had a 40 lb thrust trolling motor on my bass boat in NC and it was fine.

Wind can be a pain. Having the motor on the back of the boat, the nose will try to go downwind. You can build a planer board to limit this or mount the motor on the front and build a small rudder.

dirtofak, what would you engineer the planer board out of? This sounds like something I could use.
    Thanks!

emrdux

Being a "frugal person" like I am. I would use a chunk of treated plywood, rounded off on the lower corners, mounted on a 2X board with a hinge in case you hit something it could pop up. It looks like a P. Then I would fab up a stand for it with about 30 degrees left and right to I could angle it into the wind a bit. Coat it with 3 coats of poly. If you have some UHMW or aluminum, you could use them too.

Every boat would be a bit different. Larger boats with a lot of freeboard would catch the wind more and need a larger board. I read somewhere that you can use a drift sock too, but have never seen it and don't know how it would work without spooking the fish.