Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outboard jet?

Default outboard jet?

I currently have a 1448 seaark rivited jon powered by a Merc 25 two stroke. I'm tired of having to replace the prop about every year or so. So now I'm looking into jet outboards (and larger boat). My motor when ran in the unlocked postion will kick up if I hit a log, rock, etc.. Now most of the outboard jets I'm looking at come with power tilt/trim (Merc 60/40). Do these motors kick up when hitting something? Can I run them in an unlocked postion?

Thanks.

22 views and no responses??

Yes your motor will kick up if you hit something.

The power tilt ram pivots the motor up and when you adjust down gravity lowers it. When you hit something the motor can pivot higher than the ram location.

Is that as clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    Yes your motor will kick up if you hit something.

The power tilt ram pivots the motor up and when you adjust down gravity lowers it. When you hit something the motor can pivot higher than the ram location.

Is that as clear as mud?
    My reason for asking is I've been told "yes" they will kick up, but not as easily as a non power tilt/trim motor. I was told due to springs or something. You actually had to hit something pretty hard for the motor to kick up, which looks like to me thats going to lead to more damage to a intake foot. Can you give any insight on the springs or whatever they're talking about?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbradley View Post
    My reason for asking is I've been told "yes" they will kick up, but not as easily as a non power tilt/trim motor. I was told due to springs or something. You actually had to hit something pretty hard for the motor to kick up, which looks like to me thats going to lead to more damage to a intake foot. Can you give any insight on the springs or whatever they're talking about?

Thanks.
    That could be true of the newer outboards. I am running an inboard these days, but still have a smaller boat with mid a 90's, 90hp.

Throughout my outboard years I have run everything from 50hp to 115hp Jet drives, but all older model years. I can say that they all would kick up if you hit something. The more horsepower you have the more down pressure you have making it easier to kick a 50 hp than a 115hp.

I used to run a river boat service so I have plenty of experiance running shallow rivers in turn "hitting things". I dont recall ever hitting hard enough to cause serious damage to the lower unit.

So maybe the newer motors are running stiffer springs?

Hopefully someone can chime in with that info. I hope this helps a little anyway.

Default just a thought...

You mention you are looking at getting a 60/40 jet for a 1448 riveted boat. That is a pretty big motor for such a small boat. You could go with just a slightly smaller motor that doesn't have power trim/tilt. Maybe a yamaha 30/40. I have the same yamaha on an 1852 riveted boat and it provides plenty of power and I've been very pleased with its overall function and performance.

Now most of the outboard jets I'm looking at come with power tilt/trim (Merc 60/40). Do these motors kick up when hitting something? Can I run them in an unlocked postion?

Thanks.
    Hi TB..i run a 2008, 60 hp 4 stroke , (they call it a 40 jet)....in normal operation i just trim it down and ""give 'r"...first year i NAILED a rock(boulder) and thought the worse!!!...i dented the grate but all was well..that "foot" must be tough!!....plus too, the angle the foot hits the water, and since it is only 2 inches or so below the bottom of the boat-- if you DO
    hit something you tend to glide off it anyway....if you look at the bottom of the jet in the middle of the grate, you can see the dent!!!....WHEW!!..now, does it kick up??..i have no idea!!...

..larry

Do these motors kick up when hitting something? Can I run them in an unlocked postion?
    I don't know the answer to that question. If you get a bigger boat (and I wouldn't put that 60/40 on a little 14' boat) just get one with a tunnel, that should protect your intake.

I currently have a 1448 seaark rivited jon powered by a Merc 25 two stroke. I'm tired of having to replace the prop about every year or so. So now I'm looking into jet outboards (and larger boat). My motor when ran in the unlocked postion will kick up if I hit a log, rock, etc.. Now most of the outboard jets I'm looking at come with power tilt/trim (Merc 60/40). Do these motors kick up when hitting something? Can I run them in an unlocked postion?

Thanks.
    He is looking at a larger boat/motor setup. Good advice about the tunnel.

check out dewey's in anchorage they have some 18ft g3 with 60/40 jet on them or check out this 16ft one with a 90horse e-tec I beat this thing flyies

sale-km8ym-1666277248@craigslist.org

I have a new honda on mine. A 50/35, I was told it would kick up. I cant verify that though as I have not hit anything with it. And like was said earlier, your not gonna hit anything very hard with it anyway I dont think just because of how high it sits out of the water and the angle of it.

With a 14' boat and a 40 jet, you wont be in the water anyway

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    check out dewey's in anchorage they have some 18ft g3 with 60/40 jet on them or check out this 16ft one with a 90horse e-tec I beat this thing flyies

sale-km8ym-1666277248@craigslist.org

Yeah I wish I had the money I'd get that 16fter with the 90!

I hit a deadhead pretty hard last year during hunting season, we were on step at 20-25 MPH and it did kick up the 140 hp 4 stroke, I didnt see it, but I felt it.
    My brother was looking back when it happened and he did see it kick up.
    I have a tunnel, however the dead head was right below the surface and the hull rode up over the top but the foot caught it momentarily.
    I should have been able to avoid it, it happened fast and we never came off of step.
    When I pulled the boat out of the water there werte some wood fibers jammed between the grate and the housing.
    So, yes if you hit something hard enough you will overcome the hydraulics...........and the motor will come up.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I have an 1998, 80 horse Johnson on my boat and I don't know if my motor will kick up. You must have to hit something pretty hard. Here is some pics from our trip up the Ivanshak (sp) this fall. I don't want to hit anything harder than this because it cost me 700 bucks for a new foot. I welded this one back together for a spare. It cavitated really bad but it got us home!

you need about a 16 52 for that motor. and with the jet you arent going to hit anything in the same water you ran your prop. but when you do it will kick up a little but you dont hit it square so it isnt like hitting something with the prop. but if you run shallow you will be buying a new foot at some point.

but if you run shallow you will be buying a new foot at some point.
    Has anybody ever heard of a foot getting damaged so badly that it couldn't "limp" back to civilization? In other words, would a remote trip warrant having a few extra parts including a foot? I know it's a good idea to pack a spare prop when running with one; how about a jet? Could somebody post a list of suggested spare parts for going remote?

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    Has anybody ever heard of a foot getting damaged so badly that it couldn't "limp" back to civilization? In other words, would a remote trip warrant having a few extra parts including a foot? I know it's a good idea to pack a spare prop when running with one; how about a jet? Could somebody post a list of suggested spare parts for going remote?
    If you can afford it then having 1 extra of each of the parts below is a good idea. Some are pretty expensive and some are not.

1. Intake foot. (expensive but worth the weight in gold if you need it.)

2. Impeller. (expensive but worth the weight in gold if you need it.)

3. Sleeve. (these wear out a lot and are a must have.)

4. Shims. ( nice to have about 12 extras.)

5. Keyway? (this is what connects the shaft and impeller. I have only broken one over the years, but your not going anywhere without it. some are straight, and some are T-Keys so verify which stlye you have first.)

6. Extra bolts that hold the foot to the Jet unit housing. (You will always drop a few in the water while taking your jet foot on and off.)

7. Tools needed are a file, a wrench to fit all the bolts, A rubber mallet to beat the jet foot off when its full of sand, Some type of pry bar to remove rocks from your intake grates.

I'm sure I forgot something. Hope this helps.

Thumbs up Oh it happens...

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    Northriver21 gave you a great list. But like he said, if you can afford it, get it. We had a foot completely split down the center (it looked like a moose hoof) after hitting a rock really hard one year. It didn't want to work at all after that. The shaft and impellor spun, but all it did was spray water all over the place. Didn't have a tunnel back then. Rolled the bottom of the boat and mashed the plug too. It kicked the motor up so hard that the motor slid up an inch and a half in the mount slots. It was an older Johnson 115. If it weren't for an extra foot, sleeve, impellor, shims, nut and cotter pin sitting in a box up in the bow, we'd still be there. We were WAY down river on a moose hunt and the water was dropping 10" or so a day. To answer your question about "limping" back, yah, it happens. You always do what you can to try and prevent it, but ***t happens. It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. It's all about choices...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Northriver21 gave you a great list. If it weren't for an extra foot, sleeve, impellor, shims, nut and cotter pin sitting in a box up in the bow, we'd still be there.
    Brass Nut and cotter pin. 2 things I forgot to mention.

Thanks swampdonkey.

Just getting back to the forum, thanks guys for the info. Yes I am looking for a larger boat. Probably a 1752. Like I said I have no experience driving the jet outboards, so this summer I'm planning on going to some dealers to get some test drives. As far as a tunnel all of the dealers I've talked to are steering me away from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast