Thread: Richards micro-fit rifle stocks...Buyer beware!

Default Richards micro-fit rifle stocks...Buyer beware!

Have any of you use the Richards micro fit rifle stocks (rifle-stocks.com)?

I ordered 2 semi inleted short action 77 stocks from these folk many days ago. These were not special order but rather stocks that were on the shelf. The lady took my credit card number and said they should be shipped in the next day or two. Two weeks later no stocks! I attempted to contact them by phone numerous times but kept getting a recording saying leave a message and we will get back to you the next business day. That recording was followed by a recording saying that I could not leave a message as the users mail box was full. When they finally emptied their mailbox and I was able to leave a message I got no return phone call as promised. They never responded to e-mail either. This past monday morning I played the game and followed their voice prompts as if I were intending to order one of their high dollar grade AAA fancy stocks in hopes I could actually get a warm body to talk to. Well I did get to talk to someone then got put on hold then got to talk to someone else then back on hold again. Eventually I ended up with the same lady I started with who decided that now she would take the bull by the horns. Back on hold for another 15 minutes then she came back on and told me that there had been a mix up and she had it straightened out and would see to it that my stocks were shipped that day. That was monday and still no stocks. Tuesday it will be a month since they took my order and debited my credit card.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that these stocks do eventually end up at my door. However I will probably look elswhere next go around!

Very strange. I have ordered once from them, approx. one year ago. Talked to a lady; seemed like a mom & pop organization. She was polite, and the transaction went down as described. I ordered from them because posts had indicated they were a reputable organization. I hope it works out; my guess is that it will. They should not have charged you, obviously, until it was shipped.

Ironically, I'm sealing and finishing that stock today.

Thanks fremont! I was needing a ray of hope. Maybe I'm just snake bit on this one and they are good folk. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now!

You need to contact your credit card company, explain the problem to them, and have them reverse the charges back to the stock company. Depending on the company you are using for your charge card, there are just so many days before you can exercise that option.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Hopefully, it all works out for you. A friend of mine ordered a stock from them about 2 years ago. His was a custom order as I recall, and took a bit of time to get it, but he was very happy with it when it came. He showed it to me after he finished it, and it was a very nice looking stock. Based on his experience with them, I was considering ordering from them as well.

Keep us posted on how this all turns out.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I too have ordered from them a number of times and always been satisfied. Hope it works out. J.

Unfortuantely thier are more negatives than positives on this company. I asked my buddy about them a few days ago and he said he wouldn't order anything from them due to bad service and other things as well ... If you are after a good laminated stock then go with Boyds I have had great service from them

Rule 1, never use a debit card for online purchases. Always use a credit card. No merchandise arrives? Contest the charge on your credit card and you are guranteed to get it credited back to you.
    A legit company would never charge your credit card until the day they shipped out the merchandise.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Unfortuantely thier are more negatives than positives on this company. I asked my buddy about them a few days ago and he said he wouldn't order anything from them due to bad service and other things as well ... If you are after a good laminated stock then go with Boyds I have had great service from them
    I also liked Boyd's a lot, but they changed their distribution strategy a couple years ago and totally buggered up their selection and service to the DIY'er IMHO.

Default Memories of Herter's

All this discussion reminds me of dealing with Herter's back in the 60s.

Herter's had some great wood at some great prices - their "seconds" were great buys - but sometimes the wait and lack of customer service was beyond belief.

I never did find out who made the wood for Heter's - anyone know?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

If I ever get a wood stock, it will be from Joel Russo. He's an active member on LRH and I have read dozens of glowing reports on his work and have seen dozens of pictures of his skilled craftsmanship. On his web page, he says...

"How you treat people is more important than the product you make"

From what I've seen on how he conducts himself on LRH and the comments made by his customers, he lives by it, and he makes an outstanding product.

http://www.russoriflestocks.com/

This is just a plug for Joel and not a commentary on Richard's, Boyd's, Herters or anyone else.

EKC, hope it works out satisfactorily for you soon.

-Mark

hap

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

I never did find out who made the wood for Heter's - anyone know?
    Pretty sure it grew in trees...

There is evidence Herter's was involved in the browning saltwood issue and they did end up with some of it, which they sold.

Actually, Herter's, like Cabella's and lots of other retailers made almost nothing. They had aggressive buyers in the lumber trade going after wood by the truckload. There were (and still are) some guys running around various mills looking for high grade wood being prepped for making pallets... They buy it at whatever stage they can and wholesale it to stock blank sellers.
    art

Two stocks arrived today, exactly one month to the day from when they were ordered. When I ordered these stocks I printed off the description and stock number. One of the stocks that arrived today is correct( kinda). This one is laminated in what Richards calls "Mid Night Fire" the pictures on their sight show midnight fire to be red, royal blue and grey. The one I got is a variation there of. It is pink, baby blue, light grey and too limp wristed for me (can I say that?). I smeared a little polyerathane on the stock to see if it would turn the pink to red....still pink. The other one was listed as a 77 mkII short action stock in select walnut with roll over cheek piece. What I got is a walnut stock for a long action mkII with a plain cheek piece minus the roll over.

An attempt will be made tomorrow to add some die to the girly stock in hopes it will darken up. If not I'll paint it white, put some rabbit tracks on it and hit coyotes over the head with it. As for the long action stock...its purdy....looks like I gotta buy a gun to fit it.

This is almost fun but I still need a stock for my 338 Federal. The neighbors have a walnut tree in their backyard. Recon they'd miss a limb?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Two stocks arrived today, exactly one month to the day from when they were ordered. When I ordered these stocks I printed off the description and stock number. One of the stocks that arrived today is correct( kinda). This one is laminated in what Richards calls "Mid Night Fire" the pictures on their sight show midnight fire to be red, royal blue and grey. The one I got is a variation there of. It is pink, baby blue, light grey and too limp wristed for me (can I say that?). I smeared a little polyerathane on the stock to see if it would turn the pink to red....still pink. The other one was listed as a 77 mkII short action stock in select walnut with roll over cheek piece. What I got is a walnut stock for a long action mkII with a plain cheek piece minus the roll over.

An attempt will be made tomorrow to add some die to the girly stock in hopes it will darken up. If not I'll paint it white, put some rabbit tracks on it and hit coyotes over the head with it. As for the long action stock...its purdy....looks like I gotta buy a gun to fit it.

This is almost fun but I still need a stock for my 338 Federal. The neighbors have a walnut tree in their backyard. Recon they'd miss a limb?

Get a RMA and express your dissatisfaction. Demand a refund for shipping them back.

If they are that far off base with the stocks I'd send em back too! You paid for them, you should get what you asked for Elmer!

But if you are happy you are happy...

You were smart to try the polyeurathane test patch. I ordered rosewood laminate from them and worried greatly when it looked "pink." I wasn't smart enough to try the test patch but breathed a big sigh of relief when I hit it with the denatured alcohol for whiskering. I'll try and shoot a shot of it after it dries from its latest polyeurathane coat. I love the coloring, including the solid rosewood forend I had them installed. All in all, happy so far.

hap

Elmer
    "This is almost fun but I still need a stock for my 338 Federal. The neighbors have a walnut tree in their backyard. Recon they'd miss a limb?"

If it were that easy...

Most serious stock builders will not use wood less than 5 years dry... Many insist on 10. Most pay a premium for aged blanks...

Then there is the limb issue... Limb wood is not like trunk wood and completely unsuited to stock use. It is shorter-fibered and brittle compared to the trunk wood and more importantly, much less stable.

An outfit in Hawaii decided to buy a huge quantity of koa limbs because they were large and going to waste. They had them cut into lumber and dried. Well, tried to dry it. They were into the deal for many hundreds of thousands of dollars before they learned their project could not work by any current technology...
    art

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Elmer
    "This is almost fun but I still need a stock for my 338 Federal. The neighbors have a walnut tree in their backyard. Recon they'd miss a limb?"

If it were that easy...

Most serious stock builders will not use wood less than 5 years dry... Many insist on 10. Most pay a premium for aged blanks...

Then there is the limb issue... Limb wood is not like trunk wood and completely unsuited to stock use. It is shorter-fibered and brittle compared to the trunk wood and more importantly, much less stable.

An outfit in Hawaii decided to buy a huge quantity of koa limbs because they were large and going to waste. They had them cut into lumber and dried. Well, tried to dry it. They were into the deal for many hundreds of thousands of dollars before they learned their project could not work by any current technology...
    art
    hap, I weren't really gonna cut a limb off the neighbors tree!

I heat my house with wood and once cleaned up a small timber after the loggers got what they wanted. They left walnut limb wood that was 18 inches in diameter because of the fiber structure. The good walnut was going to Amish cabinet builders who were on sight to select what they deemed usable. They were very selective to say the least. One old timer in the group mentioned that he'd be retired before this walnut was cured enough for use.

I got 30 some pick up loads of walnut out of that timber and I split and stacked it as I went yet it was 4 years before I burned the first stick of it and it could have cured another year!

I am gonna be able to make the pink laminated stock work. I have already finished inletting it and got a good fit. I'm putting it on an ultra light 243 that I hunted coyotes with last year. The long action stock only cost me $70 and is a good piece of walnut. It is bone dry with the density that only comes from the heart of the tree. I have already been searching gunbroker for a long action rifle to fit it. I know that's backwards of how its usually done but oh well.

Besides a perfect stranger traded me out of the 338 Federal last night! I'll do another thread on that deal!

hap

It is so much easier finding good wood deals in America! Not much walnut in AK... Though I wish we had planted several, as I considered doing when we moved into this house 26 years ago...

Good to hear the pink nightmare will work for you... Go ahead and get in touch with your feminine side there!

I am a bit of a purist and almost completely refuse to use kiln-dried wood for stocks... There is a big difference and it is easy to see. But I have tons of blanks with lot sof years on them and I do not need to sweat the little stuff...
    Good luck on your stocks!
    art

Default As promised

Just finished this morning before work. Not museum quality, but she ain't gonna be a safe queen.