Thread: Need a Smith, Im in Anchorage

Default Need a Smith, Im in Anchorage

I have a 700 BDL I would like to have barrel free floated and the action pillar and glassbeded. Does anyone have any suggestions to a fantastic local gunsmith for these items.

What caliber and why do you want it pillar bedded?

Default More helpful info

I am going to take it out and shoot it to see how it does before any work gets done on it.
    It is a early to mid eighties 7mm Rem Mag. I had the exact same rifle several years back and remember it being a free floated barrel, this one has alot of forearm contact and looks as if it has a clear epoxy in the barrel channel. I feel the reason for the pillars is to maintain the correct torque on the action bolts helping to keep all parameters equal (no over/under tightening of action screws). A smith at a store I used to work part time at used to do it for this reason. I memory serves me correctly with the pillars installed you have less of a chance of overtightening the bolts and ads in less shifting of the action in oversized holes.
    I really need to shoot it to see exactly how it does. If theres problems bring it in and have it looked at to see what the best course of action is.

Default Gunsmith

Pretty easy to free float the barrel and bed the recoil lug yourself. Lots of info on the Web. As far as gunsmiths go, I use Vince Baldauf at Precision Arms (279-5755) in Anchorage. Good idea shooting it first, might be a non issue.