Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: barrel cutting technique

Default barrel cutting technique

I am going to shorten my rifle a few inches and am wondering what is the preferred method of cutting & crowning a chrome lined barrel? I do have access to a full machine shop and skilled associates who have agreed to help me if I get in a bind. This gun will still be legal (>16"), I just want some input before I lathe away.

I am in the bush, so simply stopping by does not apply.

I am thinking:
    Use the lathe for an even circle on the barrel.
    cut barrel via blade, disc, other ???
    Smooth & square barrel end on lathe.
    Crown barrel on lathe with file, cutter, stone? Any concerns with crowning on the chrome?
    Test fire for straight shot.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Don't your skilled associates know how its done?

About the answer I expected from WW Guns!

I have had work done with you in the past, which has come out very very nice.
    But when it comes to asking questions on "how to" you guys blow people off!
    Customer service is more than just the work done on location...

They have a few ideas but were not 100% sure on the cutting and crowning without chipping or flaking the chrome. So I figured I would ask before possibly making a mistake.

I have researched online and in a few books I have, but was just looking for advice. From people who have done it.

Reassurance never hurts.

Default Chrome lined barrel

I've cut a few and never had any problems but try a few trial cuts first way longer than you want it to be. Use a sharp cutoff tool and see how it comes out esp with for the final crown. You may need to use an abrasive to cut the final bevel on the crown to leave the lining intact.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Cut it off about 1/8 longer than you want and use a tool post grinder to grind to final lenght. Then take a round slotted head brass screw in a drill with valve grinding compound, line it up with the bore and using a circular motion, lap the end until the end of the rifling has cleaned up. This works for non crome barrels as well except you don't need to grind to final length. If you have a dremel or foredom that you could attach to your tool post you could grind a specific angle to the crown so that it was recessed for protection of the crown. Mostly this depends on what tooling you have, but the last bit of crome should be ground as it can chip easily. This really isn't the rocket science that some would have you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by kubs View Post
    About the answer I expected from WW Guns!

I have had work done with you in the past, which has come out very very nice.
    But when it comes to asking questions on "how to" you guys blow people off!
    Customer service is more than just the work done on location...

Our machinist with 45 plus years of experience knows how to do it. He gets paid by the hour. Customer service is doing what we do correctly, not teaching you to do it.

We could offer gunsmithing courses I reckon.

Good luck. Remember the old adage: you mess it up, you lost the barrel, we mess it up, you get a new one.

Ask this question over on www.falfiles.com in the gunsmithing section where the cutting of chrome lined barrels is routine.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Customer Service...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Our machinist with 45 plus years of experience knows how to do it. He gets paid by the hour. Customer service is doing what we do correctly, not teaching you to do it.

We could offer gunsmithing courses I reckon.
    WOW, and, the "rolled eyes" smiley just adds the exact right amount of insult. <cough>
    Last I heard this is the GUNSMITHING section of an Alaska "forum"....not just the marketing section of WWG.

Let me define that for you.

fo&#183;rum
    Pronunciation: \ˈfȯr-əm\
    Function: noun
    a public meeting place for open discussion : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities
    This is DEFINATELY the proper place for "how to" questions...and the cooperation I see from those "experts" that are here to HELP (and not just MAKE A BUCK) determines where I would spend my dollars when I DO have something that I can't do myself.

I VOTE with my dollar bills, and I always remember THOSE THAT HELPED ME IN THE PAST WITHOUT THE PROFIT MOTIVE in my face all the time, and I (and my friends)reward them accordingly.

Good business is a "win-win" bargain, not a transaction with insults sprinkled in...but maybe if you have a "semi-monopoly" on a population you can get away with that crap. But I will choose not to put up with it, and go outta my way to take business elsewhere.

Again, it reminds me of "Big Box store syndrome". That's when a small business gets TOO **** BIG for their OWN GOOD...and RESPECT for the customer is forgotten.

Default Practical Machinist

Check out the website practicalmachinist.com. They have a gunsmithing thread which pretty much covers everything that I have wanted to do. Tons of fellow's with a lot of experience and all willing to help.

Later,

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by needcoffee View Post
    Check out the website practicalmachinist.com. They have a gunsmithing thread which pretty much covers everything that I have wanted to do. Tons of fellow's with a lot of experience and all willing to help.

Later,

Jeff
    Excellent link! Thanks Jeff.

Again, it reminds me of "Big Box store syndrome". That's when a small business gets TOO **** BIG for their OWN GOOD...and RESPECT for the customer is forgotten.
    Well if you lived up here, you would probably know that we do more "freebies" for folks than all the other shops combined. But again, why bother being in business, lets just give it all away

rbuck explained to him one of the ways it is done. So whats your point other than to start a tiff?

PS: I dont know if the OP is the same guy I spoke to (as I speak to probably 100 folks a day), but for general info for y'all, we are Class 3. Thus we dont cut barrels to legnths prohibited by law unless you have a Tax Stamp, or involve ourselves in helping people do that.

Default Attitude, and Customer service...

Well, it's like this.

Read my previous post again. I didn't say GIVE AWAY anything but knowlege...as that's what a FORUM is for.
    Take the sarcastic marketing somewhere else.

The issue is RESPECT, and the smiley with the Eyes Rolled after the sarcastic remark is NOT good business, OR forum etiquate.

Heck, I've never shopped at your store.
    And if what you say is true about being the store that HELPS OUT YOUR FELLOW ALASKANS MORE THAN ANY OTHER than you have my support. IF that is TRUE. (as mentioned in my post).

It's always 99&#37; about the attitude...(for me anyway). I'll pay extra (and skip the freebees) and go outta my way for Proper Attitude. (or Not). But, you can keep the free stuff, if it means I have to put up with sarcasm and insults as part of the deal. THAT'S not FREE to me.

And to bust a guys chops because he's asking a valid gunsmith question on an "open forum" instead of bringing his business to you..well. <cough>

To put the cards on the table, for example, I've watched you bust Buffalo Bores chops every chance you get. Meanwhile, I believe Tim at Buffalo Bore has noticed what a tight knit community Alaska can be, and I believe he's TRYING to make some inroads into showing the RESPECT and proper tone/attitude Alaskan's expect. THAT'S good business.

If it's ONLY about the dollar...then it's ONLY about the dollar for me too (back atcha).
    If it's respect and good treatment...then it's respect and good treatment. (also back atcha).

Either way, It all comes around...and it goes BOTH ways.

Default It's like answering the phone while folks are talking to you at your store...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Well if you lived up here....
    Now, to address this comment.

FWIW pal, I was adopted and brought to Alaska in 1961 at the age of 3 weeks old.
    My Dad and Mom brought me in a 1960 Mercury Comet (we still drive Merc's) and we skidded off the road on the ice at the (old) Knik River Bridge in that Comet coming into town. (before the days of car seats, and I was in Mom's lap at the time).
    They came to Alaska in 1952.

I grew up in Alaska (the wonderful life my parents gave me!), and worked my Career in Alaska Defense and Aviation (like my Dad) for 35+ years until my Mom got Alzheimers a few years ago, and Dad needed my help here.
    I sacrificed my Alaska life to come and do what a man has to do sometimes.

Alaska was, and always will be my HOME...and I HATE to see the Old Alaska values change from the days where folks looked out for each other in a "pay it forward" fashion, without sarcasm.

THAT is NOT "giving the store away"...it's actually GOOD business.
    It has to do with Alaskan upbringing, and the way I was raised.
    But, maybe you're right. Maybe it IS a curse in this FU day and age.
    Hey, Is that your cell phone I hear ringing?

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    Well, it's like this.

Read my previous post again. I didn't say GIVE AWAY anything but knowlege...as that's what a FORUM is for.
    Take the sarcastic marketing somewhere else.

The issue is RESPECT, and the smiley with the Eyes Rolled after the sarcastic remark is NOT good business, OR forum etiquate.

Heck, I've never shopped at your store.
    And if what you say is true about being the store that HELPS OUT YOUR FELLOW ALASKANS MORE THAN ANY OTHER than you have my support. IF that is TRUE. (as mentioned in my post).

It's always 99% about the attitude...(for me anyway). I'll pay extra (and skip the freebees) and go outta my way for Proper Attitude. (or Not). But, you can keep the free stuff, if it means I have to put up with sarcasm and insults as part of the deal. THAT'S not FREE to me.

And to bust a guys chops because he's asking a valid gunsmith question on an "open forum" instead of bringing his business to you..well. <cough>

To put the cards on the table, for example, I've watched you bust Buffalo Bores chops every chance you get. Meanwhile, I believe Tim at Buffalo Bore has noticed what a tight knit community Alaska can be, and I believe he's TRYING to make some inroads into showing the RESPECT and proper tone/attitude Alaskan's expect. THAT'S good business.

If it's ONLY about the dollar...then it's ONLY about the dollar for me too (back atcha).
    If it's respect and good treatment...then it's respect and good treatment. (also back atcha).

Either way, It all comes around...and it goes BOTH ways.
    Last time I checked, sarcasm is allowed on this forum. FWIW, I like the sarcasm. It keeps it interesting. If your skin is too thin to handle a little sarcasm, your probably not tuff enough to be a real Alaskan(emphasis on sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    If your skin is too thin to handle a little sarcasm, your probably not tuff enough to be a real Alaskan(emphasis on sarcasm)
    No, I do it too. (ie: cell phone comment above..) So, I agree. I can be a jerk with the best of them.

But there's a time and a place for it, and making a guy feel like **** about asking a valid question on a Gunsmith forum, cuz you want to "market your services" ain't it.

Sarcasm and just plain rudeness don't buy THIS customer (in fact, the opposite), and that doesn't impress me as a "Real Alaskan" value.
    ANYBODY can be an @$$. When you "sponser" the forum you're supposed to rise above that.

In your own store, well maybe/whatever. I sure won't pay good money for that crap...or tolerate it on the forum without speaking up. But, hey that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    No, I do it too. (ie: cell phone comment above..) So, I agree.

But there's a time and a place for it, and making a guy feel like **** about asking a valid question on a Gunsmith forum, cuz you want to "market your services" ain't it. Sarcasm and just plain rudeness don't buy THIS customer, and that doesn't impress me as a "Real Alaskan" value. ANYBODY can be an @$$.

And, I sure won't pay good money for that crap...or tolerate it on the forum without speaking up.
    Oooo the forum police.

PS I think already marketed my services to the OP...he just didnt like what he was told..NFA rules apply

PPS we answer the phone when customers are in the store...our Alaskan values of top notch service and low priocing require that and our Alaskan customers understand.....

Don't normally get involved or comment, but this was just too ripe...

I'm not from Alaska, but been there a bunch of times. Hunted and fished there as well as several other states. I've bought and sold a lot of guns and used a lot of services from various gun shops around the country. Been in Wild Alaska as well. Seen your versions of service and have no use for it.

Listen to the comments. It may not please you, but they speak the truth.

FWIW...Just an observation.

One correction...

Should have said, "been in Wild West Guns" not "Wild Alaska"

The funny part is that one day soon I'll get back to Anchorage, and I'll probably end up liking WWG. Lots of stuff CAN be misinterpreted over the internet. I'll STFU about it. Rant finished. Points made, on both parts...(falling on deaf ears anyway).

It IS funny how many times in life I end up being close friends with folks that at first I thought were total @$$...so, I guess that does say something about my class of friends.

Very true. If you listen to Rush... Ditto's

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast