Thread: STURDY halibut tackle box

Default STURDY halibut tackle box

I'm looking for a good, sturdy tackle box for my halibut gear - weights, jigs, etc. All I can find is cheap, flimsy stuff like Plano brand. My old plastic tackle box (when the plastic used to be at least a little thicker) has finally given out.

Default Stanley Plastic Tool Box

I use a Stanley Plastic tool box. I think I got it at Lowes. Has top tray for all the Jigs and hooks. Weights in the bottom small compartments on the top for hardware. I was in the same situation last year and this actually works better. Walmart might carry it also.

350SD

Default Try the Water-tight Plastic Survival Boxes

I don't remember the brand name but the bright orange water-tight boxes sold in marine stores (that a lot of boaters use for keeping their emergency flares and emergency smoke sticks) seem more durable than the run-of-the-mill sport tackle box. I have seen the same units in dark green in case you don't want to grab the wrong box in case of an emergency. Those I have looked at have a drop in tray that sits just beneath the sealing edge - leaving approximately 8-9 inches of space beneath. It would be a snap to put together some separators to keep jigs and your other items apart.

I think they are called Pelican Boxes
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

What he's talking about is a "dry box" and they are available in most sporting goods stores for a fraction of the price of a tackle box. They are made by various manufacturers in different configurations. They are basically a plastic ammo can.

Here's a listing for them on Cabela's...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

A Pelican Case is a completely different beast. They are extremely durable, waterproof cases with various sizes from a cell phone case up to something that takes a fork lift to move. They are also very expensive.

http://www.pelican.com/

Good cases for stuff you want to keep dry and protect from damage. Not really a good choice for a tackle box unless you've got lots of money to throw away.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I'd thought about using a tool box. Dry box is a good idea, too. Would be good to find something that has more compartments to keep all the tackle from getting all mixed tothether and tangled up. But maybe I can modify them. Keep the suggestions coming.

Use 2 boxes. One smaller heavy duty box for nothing but weights. Then use a large tackle box for the rest of the gear. It works well for me.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default If you want to use the dry box...

it's a good idea, strong and cheap...you can use quart freezer ziplocs, works great for separating halibut hook rigs, different sizes of sinkers, etc. in the main compartment below the tray. Also for jig heads and jig bodies. Metal jigs can be stored in the drop tray, most have two sides and works great for that...

Default Seal a Meal

Another easy way to keep your leaders & Jigs from tangling is to use your vacuum sealer and seal them into Sheets. They stack flat, don't tangle, and are easy to access. I punch the sheets with leaders and put them in a three ring binder. Jigs are to heavy to put in a binder put store nicely in a dry box this way.
    Mist

The method I use for storage works because I leave them aboard the same boat all the time (no portability). I stow the weights in a small plastic storage container, about 6"x8"x6" high. You can get them at Fred's, Walmart. Same with the lead head jigs and metal jigs. I found these other plastic containers last year designed to store pictures. It has about 10 flip open containers that fit into the main flip top container. I separate all the terminal tackle into these and label each individual container (circle hooks, j hooks, swivels, and so on). It really works well keeping everything organized. I got another one and separated all my trolling stuff into it. But, of course, these things wouldn't work too good if I wanted to say, go on a buddy's boat but wanted to use my own gear.

I like the idea "Blue Mist" has too.

I'm trying to keep my halibut tackle all in one portable container. My buddy and I each have boats, and so the container/tackle needs to be something that I can just grab and go not knowing which boat we're going to be taking out. I do keep extra weights and tackle on my boat. Overall this year I'm trying to figure out how to cut back on the amount or the space that my gear takes up when I go out on my buddy's boat. When it's your own boat, you already have your own stuff stowed in it's place where it's out of the way. And when someone comes on your boat for a weekend their gear always seems to be in the way.

Default For a grab and go situation

Small bucket w/ lid. I use an old detergent bucket (~1.5gln), hold about 10-15 lbs lead, 8-10 jigs (12-24oz), 5-6 tails, circle hook setups galore.Stink baits and leaders get bagged in ziptops.Can't see possibly needing more in two days. Ain't real pretty but cheap and works great.

skydiver, I thought that might be your plan. It's the weights that cause the problems. I just remembered I used to keep weights in a smaller green GI ammo can when I was a kid, and the rest of my gear in a tackle box. It's still 2 boxes, but a lot easier to carry than one really heavy container.