Thread: NEWBIE bear stand question

Default NEWBIE bear stand question

how do you know where to set up a bait station if the bears aren't down in your area yet. like i said i'm a newbie to this so please take it easy on me...

That is why you put bait out...if you bait them they will come. Just like sharks in water; bears can sniff out dinner.
    First; make sure it is legal to bait in the area you want to bait. Do some research and find units with high numbers of black bears. Do some scouting. Look for natural travel avenues, wooded areas (black bears like cover), water sources, (places that feel right).

Big boars will be on the move looking for a companion; so they may hit your station for a day or two; then move on. That is why you need to keep an eye on your station for any recent activity.

Once you get your bait set; it may take several weeks before you get a hit. Try to avoid areas that may have brown bears; once they are on your bait; they will chase black bears away.

Do some research...pick an area....do some scouting....find a decent spot....register the site.....put your bait out....be patient...harvest a bear....tell your story hear....

good luck.

thank you VERY much!!! so let me make sure that i'm understanding this right. basically i'm researching and scouting for the right area more than the animal. i'm sorry if it seems like i'm an idiot, like i said, i'm brand new to this. thank you for the help!! ill do my scouting and research!!

another question, are trail cameras a good idea. or are bears basically like most other animals and move mainly morning and evening?

thank you for the help!!

Trail cameras are an exceptional tool for example last year before I put up my trail camera two bears came ion my first night and neither was very big but I shot one. We set up the trail cams and pretty soon I could see where I had 3 bears around the 6 foot mark I should have waited. They also let you know when the bears are hitting so you can time when to be in your stand . Just keep lots of batteries . Good luck

Avoid meat or bacon grease. They may bring in every bear for miles around but odds are you will just get a Grizz on there and he will not leave.

There are really 2 types of Grizzlies on bait:

1.) The ones that are there ALL day, bring in other bears in, and they sit around the bait and eat everything there till it's gone. Many people on this forum can attest to having this problem.

2.) Nocturnal grizzlies. Some Browns just won't come in during the day in some areas, but once it gets dark, WATCH OUT. They come rolling in like a freight train.

I would also recommend you do not put much bait out on the ground in case a brownie does come to your stand. Make him put his paw up in the barrel and make that opening as small as possible. Most brownies get discouraged by this and won't hang around long, but if your bait is on the ground, they'll eat every bit. Trust me.

Good luck and have a good time. Baiting is not the super easy, fool proof method many people believe it is. It is alot of work and can be very frustrating, but in the end you can walk away with some great pictures, some great personal expriences, and maybe even a big bear.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Unhappy did or did you not

take a bear baiting clinic/class?
    I sat in on one at the Mat Su sports show the other day and this info was covered in some detail. there was also a question period.
    hope you got caught up on your rest at the clinic.
    Gary

Wantamoose,

If your looking for a partner or two I may be available depends on how far you plan on going.

Brad on Elmendorf also

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    take a bear baiting clinic/class?
    I sat in on one at the Mat Su sports show the other day and this info was covered in some detail. there was also a question period.
    hope you got caught up on your rest at the clinic.
    Gary
    Gary, some folks take the class on line I believe & don't have the benefit of the crowd.

For them, we are the question & answer period!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Try and Learn

I would start by saying make sure you are doing everything according to the regulations. Baiting bears is hard work and can be costly and you don't want F&G to bust you for a mistake. F&G will check bait stations!

The first thing I would suggest is not baiting too early. I would not recommend setting out bait until the beginning of the third week of May, or after vegetation starts to grow. Pick your location before that and put your signs up, but wait to bait it. Baiting your area too early will more than likely bring the grizzers to your bait before most of the blackies come out of hibernation...then you have the wrong color bears bombarding your bait....usually permanently. I've had to move or remove my baits in the past because of high density grizzers in areas known for a lot of black bears.

Pick an area that you can get to easily if you are a first timer. Choose a good location that you can go hunt at night, after work. Your location should be away from other baits if possible (my preferance) in a spot that you can ride your wheeler into or walk into from a road.

Set your bait station up in a manner that allows you to see your bait barrel from a little distance away as you are walking in. This gives you a chance to see bears that may be hitting it before you have walked all the way in. Also, make sure to set up your tree stand so you can get to it quickly once in your baiting area. You do not want to squeeze by your bait barrel in order to reach your tree stand. My son and I had a VERY close encounter with an 8 footer girizzer bearer one season because I had my tree stand set up beyond the barrel as we walked into our area. Luckilly the bear didn't mind us surprising him at only 5 feet away! He just laid there flat as a huge mouse chomping on dog food.

Use a trail camera if you have one and make the bait station as stinky as you legally can! Have fun!

Good Luck

Get a good trail camera. The ones with a picture viewer built in are great and IR flash is best. They are the best way to know when your bears are coming in. I can't even tell you how many pics of bears I've gotten on my trail camera. Just make sure you put it in a good spot. Think about which way the sun is going to rise and set. I have some great pics of a big orange blob in the sky and some furry thing all blurred in the foreground. I think the earliest I have seen a bear at my bait with my trail cam was 4 May. I usually set my bait out on the 15th of April, I figure if I put it out early then the scent will be there when they wake up. Sometimes I'll use two cameras, one set up in my stand pointing at the same vantage point I will have in the stand and one at ground level. Try set up your cameras before you handle any bait. If they smell bait on your camera that might think it's a treat too.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine