Thread: Whittier Fuel Dock

Default Whittier Fuel Dock

I am planning for several multi-day excursions this spring and summer in the sound. I only have a 100 gallon tank on my boat, so I am rigging the boat to handle 2 - 30 gallon polyethylene drums to allow extended trips. Unfortunately, I cannont bring them through the tunnel full; therefore, I will need to fill them at the fuel dock. Will the fuel dock attendents at the Whittier Marina fill containers that were not specifically manufactured for gasoline? I conisdered going with a fuel bladder, but rigging my boat with two 30 gallon drums just seems so much more convenient and easier on space.

Your input is appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Shouldn't be a problem, I refill my 15 gallon drums there all the time and never had a problem.

Thanks Muskie. I appreciate the info.

No problems. You do the fueling not them. They just take your money. There is also a credit card pump up above the fuel dock. If it is still up and running, you could fuel up there, too. Nice looking boat. I like the name.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

You can do it... But the Dock station has weird hours. They will come open the station for you for a pretty penny$$$$$. If I remember right they open 8:30am.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Do as Spoiled One says....fill them up at the pumps on land. It is credit card operated and available 24/7.

That boat is sweet looking!! Is that the boat you are referring to? If so, I am surprised it only came with 100 gal tank for the size / weight of the boat. I have a 26' Glacier Bay Cat with twin Honda 150's, and it came with 180 gal capacity.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Gas tank size is a tradeoff between tank size and fish-hold size since they put both along the centerline of the boat, mine's a 26 footer as well but I only have a 110 gal tank.

On the other hand I have a 85 gallon belly fish hold under the rear deck. It'll hold a LOT of halibut.

The solution I came up with, and it might work for you too, is to put a fuel bladder in the fish hold and use that on the way out, when its sucked dry roll the bladder up and use the fish hold for fish and use your main tank for the trip back.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

The biggest caveat is that you shouldn't fill a plastic tank in the bed of a truck or on a boat that is on a trailer as it isn't grounded and hence the issue with generating static electricity. Hence you should put the tank on the ground to fill it, but I doubt anybody wants to lift a full 30 gal. jug.

Tell me more about the fuel bladders. Where can you get them? Are they fairly robust and will hold up for many years?

I kind of like the idea of putting them in the fish hold and emptying them before the fishing begins. Thanks for the idea Paul H!! I need to do more research now.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Fuel bladders are very expensive! I looked at getting one for my tolman, but when I got to the $900 price tag, I quickly lost interest.

There are saddle tanks one can get to mount under your gunnels, if they fit it's a fairly easy way to add a pair or 18 or 25 gal tanks, but at ~$300 ea not cheap.

I carry a pair of 12 gal portable tanks for extending my range, it's a pain as they eat up deck space, but as a buddy loaned them to me, the price was right!

These guys have a 100 gallon for $669.00
    http://www.marinefuelbladders.com/specifications.html

I've been eyeballing these tanks too: http://www.turtlepac.com/products/co...rry-tanks.html
    Don't know their pricing

http://www.interstateproducts.com/fu...e_bladders.htm
    100 gallon is $715

There these guys too: http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/M...-Bladders.html
    100 gallon is $795

And these guys, about the best price for 100 gallon tanks at $621.00 http://atlinc.com/rangeextender.html

They're expensive, but IMO their adaptibility make up for having a comparible capacity aluminum tank fabricated. And probably for not that much more. I've never actually gotten my hands on one made for gasoline, just water - but they're supposed to last for many years & are very puncture resistant.

I havent been able to find anybody locally who sells them, which is odd since you'd think they'd be popular up here.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Sponsor

Default Whittier Fuel Dock Hours

Shoreside Petroleum in Whittier is open Fri & Sat 10am-4pm until they switch to summer hours. Their local number is 472-2314.
    Rob Cone-Clark
    Whittier Boats
    http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com
    Tel. 1.907.632.1188

Quote Originally Posted by Whittier Boats View Post
    Shoreside Petroleum in Whittier is open Fri & Sat 10am-4pm until they switch to summer hours. Their local number is 472-2314.
    Thanks, are the pumps up on top operational 24hrs?

Sponsor

Yeah. There is a $150 limit for CC, and you can run them three times each. Have fun.
    Rob Cone-Clark
    Whittier Boats
    http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com
    Tel. 1.907.632.1188

Quote Originally Posted by Whittier Boats View Post
    Yeah. There is a $150 limit for CC, and you can run them three times each. Have fun.
    LOL Arggg! been there done that