Thread: Success!

Thumbs up Success!

Well, we went out to the bait lastnight and got our first bear of the season. Its a little 5 1/2footer, no rubs with a GREAT hide and will be good eating! Jim got him with his bow. I had to it all taped, beautiful footage. It would have been nice If I had hit the record button though. Sometimes Im such a blonde!....

Oh well, maybe we'll get some video when I go after mine. I dont think we'll top mine from two years ago (6'9) but its worth a try!

Thanks for allowing me to share,

Deb

This is our boy Harley and the bear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Nice bear and very nice bull. They are great dogs!

Default Success

Dont you just hate that record button! I have done that a few times myself in the heat of things.

Nice bear and congratulations

Doug

Default Good job.. Here's ours!

Congrats on the bear. Here's the one I shot last night. It squared out a little over 5 1/2 feet. Real thick winter coat still, with no rubs at all. It might have been a slow spring but there out know.1st bear1.jpg

Congrats on the bear.

I killed one that size last year and made a fine rug out of it. I am still waiting for the bears to return.

Thank you everyone! I had a great time watching this bear come in, run off...come in again, run off. It was VERY windy, we didnt think we would ever get him but he eventualy gave in and came in...the last time he came in he was very confident. We arent sure if he was the same bear even but had a good time none the less.
    I still kick myself about that record button thing. I dont think I'll ever live that one down. This was the first animal his bow had taken since I bought him the TSS system last year. Needless to say he was "jazzed".

Thank you for the compliments on the man of the house. He wasnt sure what to think of that bear. I think he was making sure it didnt move at the point I took the photo. Hes so much fun and he loves the outdoors. Anyone ever seen a bullmastiff fetch up a bird? I think he would give some labs a run for their money, just dont expect much of the bird to be there once he gets back to you. They arent known for a soft mouth! Ha!

Thanks again for letting me share, Maybe I'll have photos to share of my own in a few days.

Deb
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Thumbs up Inspirational!

That's what those pics are! Awesome bears both of you. Matt, how about sharing a few more detail? Was this your first bear? How long did you watch him? Better get your side of the story out before John (your hunting partner) tells everyone his version (LOL).

Again, great bears!

Shannon

Talking Fine here's the story!

fine Shannon here is how it went down. First off that was my first bear. When it first came in it was right under the stand eating bait that we had dropped, good job John. It slowly made its way to the barrel and definitely didn't care about us at all. I say this because thats the first bear either of us had seen that close, and we were shakin and making so many noises that anything could have heard us. That first time it came in it was only there for 3 min and then left. I didn't shoot it this time because we couldn't tell the sex, but it definitely didn't have cubs. After it left we reviewed the tape and i started kicking myself in the ass. It came back in about and hour later and i gave it no time. As soon as he quartered away at the barrel i drew back my switchback XT and released that carbon tech arrow topped off with a 125 gr stinger. He was so quartered away that i shot him right behind the rib cage taking out both lungs and shattering on his shoulder blade. He ran 20 yards right at us and fell dead about 20 feet from our stand. My partner got the whole thing on video so Shannon if you and Gary need a training video on how to kill bears let us know and we'll make ya a copy. LOL now its johns turn so we'll see tomorrow night if we can get his first. Here's another pic.

1st bear2.jpg

Default Great Story

That's better Matt! Congratulations again on your first bear. I can't wait to see the video. Good luck getting John a bear. Hopefully he'll have a great story to tell in a few days as well.

Shannon

Default Congrats!

Congratulations on your first bear. Im a life time Alaskan and my first bear was two years ago. Here he is, he was 6'9 and just under a 20inch skull. I have posted this on here before but Im still as proud of it now as I was the day I took him. You never seem to forget your first! If the weather doesnt start shaping up I wont be able to get my second. We are still getting hit but havent had anything come in since Jim took his Bear this weekend. I need to learn patience!

Good job!

Debbie

PS. I think my expression says it all! Haha....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wink Wow thats a nice one!

I hear ya. My partner is in the same boat, we both took the week off from work to try and get him a bear but it looks to be that was the only bear to have come in yet this year. I'm sure it will shape up but he sure is getting discouraged. Well good luck for the rest of the year. You never know when your gonna top that bear.

Default POW Hawg

Here is my first black bear...taken on POW spring 2005. GIANT...could barely roll him over by myself.
    Last edited by Jason in Anchorage; 02-14-2007 at 20:11.

Default My second...

my second blackie...taken a couple weeks ago. GREAT hide...~6'
    Last edited by Jason in Anchorage; 02-14-2007 at 20:11.