Thread: Night Hunt Adventure

Default Night Hunt Adventure

Since the season's winding down and the moon was pretty full last night, I decided to make an afternoon and evening hunting trip. I was watching the weather and sky to make sure that everything would be agreeable, and I made a go of it. It turned out to be a pretty exciting hunting trip. I didn't call any critters in the daylight hours, but I sure tried. I made about 9 stands during daylight hours, with zero activity. Then, once it started getting dark, things changed a bit.

At dusk, just when I could still see a decent ways, my first stand produced a beautiful lynx. The season is closed on them, but it was pretty amazing to watch him. The FoxPro CS-24 was playing a cottontail distress at about 20 yards and 45 to my right in the middle of an unplowed road. I was sitting tucked under a small black spruce tree with some snow on it, looking down the old road. I had about 80-90 yards of good visibility, but it was fading quickly. After 11 minutes of non-stop cottontail, something pops out about 20 yards in front of me along the willows. I slowly raise the rifle and look down the willow treeline and see that it's a nice lynx. He's walking directly towards me and then stops and crouches low, as if he's going to pounce at me. I keep the scope on him and he stops about 12 yards in front of me. I figured that he would've ran off as soon as he realized I wasn't food, but he just stood there and then laid down. He stood up again and was there for around 4 minutes. As the caller was nearing it's 15 minuted Owl sound (my indication that it's time to pack up and move), I figured I'd play around with the Lynx to see what sounds piqued his interest. I tried a variety of rabbits, and nothing really got him excited. Then I tried some of the lynx sounds I have, and the baby lynx distress really got him interested. He moved towards the caller and stopped about 7 yards from it. I finally stood up and he looked at me from the road, around 30 yards from me. He didn't take off or even seem interested at all that I was standing there. He just slowly walked down the road away from the caller. I kept trying different sounds and the only other one that he paid attention to was a Johnny Stewart Meadowlark Distress and the FoxPro Starling Screams...go figure, birds that we don't have here in the interior. Then, he just slowly trotted off back into the willows. I was kicking myself for not having my camera, there were some great photo opportunities I had with that guy. I figured he knew the season was closed.

I made three more stands under the moonlight that drew blanks. Then, I went to the spot where I killed a coyote last time at night. I setup a bit different, due to the shadows the moon was casting. Again, the caller was at about a 45, 30 yards to my right facing the direction where the coyote came from last time. I was playing the distressed cottontail again, non-stop. After 8 minutes, I hear something real quiet go crunch crunch in the snow in front of me, on the other side of some sparse willows. Then, this coyote comes flying out around 60 yards in front me and stops. I throw up the 22mag and drop him on the spot. I kept calling, but nothing else showed. I go to collect the coyote and shine my light on him and notice he's missing one of his rear legs. Then, I go to put my drag in the mouth and notice that all but one of his canine teeth are gone. It looks like an old coyote, definitely the oldest dog I've shot based on the looks of his teeth. I'd be amazed if he would've made it through next winter.
    This is probably the last night hunt of the season, I'm glad that the last one ended with a bang.

alaska, all over the state

Thumbs up nice write up...

nice write up..thats an old yote. dont think i've seen teeth that worn on a yote before. interesting about the sounds the cat wanted to hear. good info to remember.

very cool, nice write up

Very cool again snowman...I wished you had a camera along too! Could you tell whether it was a tom or not? Wow, looked like that coyote escaped from a trap some time back. Sure are tough animals.....survivors for sure. I've been out looking for goshawk nests the last couple weeks. I use the Foxpro for that too. For grins many times I will play some snowshoe hare sounds or coyote language....I lit up a decent sized pack of coyotes on Tuesday morning. We chatted back and forth for a bit but I never really tried to get them in, no camo, no rifle. Never saw them, but they circled around me very vocally for about 10 minutes. Been seeing a lot of lynx tracks on the lower hillside (Anchorage) lately. Glad to have the new dusting of snow today. I'll be able to better judge the age of tracks on my goshawk hikes next week. Good post.

Default Lynx,

It was a male lynx. He kept peeking into the willows, almost made me think there was another hidden back in there, but I didn't see one.

Speaking of Goshawks, I called in a Northern Goshawk a couple weeks ago. He was going to dive bomb my decoy, but turned at the last second and sat about 10 feet from me on a logjam. I forgot about the predator calling and just watched him for 8 minutes as he sat there trying to decide why my FoxPro wasn't a dying rabbit. They're really beautiful birds. I had to go look up exactly what it was in the bird book when I got back. If you are working on research, let me know, I can tell you where I called that one. Send me a PM if interested.

I'm always interested in goshawk sitings, but I'm not doing research. I hunt out nests in the spring in case I want to take a hawk to train and hunt with next season. I'm a falconer. I call in quite a few of them when out pred calling. Come spring time I use the Foxpro and play goshawk mating chat to get the birds to defend their territory and essentially show me where they are nesting. Goshawks are pretty well distributed everywhere there is food during the winter so seeing them then doesn't mean much. But now (spring) they stick pretty close to where they are nesting and sitings are good clues.

Default Goshawk

Thanks for the information, I knew very little about Goshawks until I read about them. They're a beautiful bird of prey. I'm going to start carrying my camera more while out calling, just so I can get photos of other critters that come in. Where did you get your Goshawk mating sound? If you have a link to a place where I can download it, that'd be great. Thank you.

Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant

Thanks for the story. I'm curious about your drag. Obviously you've been using it for some time. I would've never thought about putting it around the mouth. Is this just for fur preservation. OTOH, wouldn't it have to get pretty tight around the mouth to drag the thing through the snow/brush/whatever?

Default Drag

I've used the drag quite a bit this season and it's worked excellent. I made the handle out of an old Optima battery handle. I cut it down, drilled a couple holes in it and ran the para cord down to a noose. It's much easier for me to just drag the critters like this than to grab their leg and drag. It comes off easily and they slide along pretty good in the snow with the head leading the way. I haven't gone through anything nasty thick with it. If I did end up in the thick willows, I'd probably just wrap a loop around the back leg and carry it slung over my shoulder until I got to a clear area. The noose comes off really easy, just push up on it and it slides. If you want, I can post a better picture of it, it's pretty simple and easy to stick in my pocket. I have a "yote carrier" that somebody made me. It has 4 nooses and a thick braided portion to sling over the shoulders. I have it in the truck lots of times, but have yet to use it.
    Last edited by snowcamoman; 03-29-2010 at 09:58. Reason: typo

****, one canine and missing a hind leg! Alaskan critters are seriously tough, no doubt about it. When I see animals like that I wish I could somehow know all the adventures that brought them to where they were. I'm sure that one had a few stories.