Thread: Squirrel hunting, where? how?

Default Squirrel hunting, where? how?

I'm new to the area and have never been hunting before, but it looks fun and I just bought a new Gamo air rifle and thought it would be fun to try and get a few squirrels or rabbits for dinner. Any tips on how, other then just wandering around the woods and when I stumble across a critter, FIRE? Also where can I hunt legally? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Step one is going to be getting a license if you haven't already. You can pretty much forget the Alaskan red squirrel as a game animal they are tiny and not especially good eating. I started on grouse and would recommend you do the same. A good shot to the head will put them right down. Great choice in starting w/ an air gun it is cheap to practice with and the more you practice the better you will get!

Where around Eagle River can I find some grouse to shoot with my air rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Step one is going to be getting a license if you haven't already. You can pretty much forget the Alaskan red squirrel as a game animal they are tiny and not especially good eating. I started on grouse and would recommend you do the same. A good shot to the head will put them right down. Great choice in starting w/ an air gun it is cheap to practice with and the more you practice the better you will get!

try willow or nancy lakes area where its legal

you sound young so maybe some basics need to be laid down here.

1. go to wal-mart or fredmeyer or Boondocks and get a set of Hunting regulations. Or at the very least go to the Alaska department of fish and game website and look up the regulations on line. But I recomend you get the book. These will tell you where you are allowed to hunt, what you can hunt and how many you are allowed to take. Get mom or dad to help you understand these.

2. Figure out what you can hunt and what you want to hunt. Right now you are pretty limited. Grouse closes in a couple of days and they are hard to find right now anyway. Focus on Rabbits.

3. Now do some searching on this forum. Find the numerous topics on here regarding Rabbits. you should be able to figure out where and how to hunt them from the info on here.

4. Practice with that airgun, become a good shot and handle it safely.

5. Get a license and go hunting!

Find a mentor...you probably know someone that hunts, don't be bashfull ask them for some guidance.

Thanks everyone, and by the way I'm 29, I saw that was speculated. I'm from Virginia, where everyone does white tail deer hunting. I've met a few hunter here, but so far everyone just cares about moose, sheep, bear, and such. I'm just looking for small game, rabbit size and smaller. I think squirrel would be the easiest, but thats just a uneducated guess. I know when I go hiking and amping they seem to be everywhere, and I can get within a few feet of some of them before they take off. Like I said I bought a .22 Gamo Air rifle, and I'm just looking for a general area thats close to Eagle River to try and take small game for dinner. I'm a chef at Capt Cook, and it would be nice to get some local game for dinner, not to mention, seems like it would be fun.

You should be able to bag some hares out on the flats coming out twoards the valley from Eagle River, lots of people hunt the windrows along-side the railroad tracks out there, rabbit slough is another good place, on the opposite side of the highway. it's about 20 min north of Eagle River off the Glenn highway. Red squirrels are abundant all over the place up here, just walk in the woods anywhere hunting is legal and wait for one of those obnoxious little rodents to start chattering at you! Like everyone else said, p/u a hunting/fishing license and a copy of the regs, and you will have all the info you need to find some good legal areas to hunt.
    Best of Luck,
    -J

The air rifle is a good bet. I used to hunt squirrels in MI with a .177 1000fps and it dropped them pretty well.

When I started out I could barely hit a soda can from 30 yards. At less than a cent a round you should be able to put lots of ammo through it and get to plinking quarters from that range if not further with a good scope.

Also, the "moose/deer/more meat than I can use" people drive me nuts too. Sure there's a sense of satisfaction from taking down a big game but there's no point if you really don't need it or can't use it. Leave it for someone who can.