Thread: Alaska Newbie, experienced outdoorsman

Default Alaska Newbie, experienced outdoorsman

My family will be visiting Alaska for the first time this summer, the week before July 4th. We all grew up in south Arkansas and at least the men have all been fishing and hunting since we were able to do so. I say that to set up my question: I'm looking for a flyfishing guide out of Anchorage that can get us 'out there'. We don't normally flyfish much down south, but we will frequently spend 3 hours getting to the best spots out in the boonies.

Most of what I can find on the net are all big charter boats, or very well polished excursions. They just seem to me to be more of an entertainment activity than the real deal. I don't mean any disrespect, I'm sure they are doing what there is a market for, but that's just not our interest.

We have two days open, so we can go either Monday or Tuesday, June 28th or 29th. Looking for a full day for 4-6 of us. We will have the exact number in another week or so. Pop is early 50s, so we can't go crazy on backpacking 8 miles to a spot, but this is his trip and he wants to be 'out in it' as he says.

I appreciate any recommendations, suggestions, tips, or anything else that will help me make this a trip of a lifetime for him.

Welcome to the forum! As for guides out of Anchorage, I'm sure there are some that live there, but as you say you want to (get out there). Up here getting out there can be a day of flying. Doesn't sound like that's what you are looking for. From Anchorage you will most likely be fishing 2-3 hrs by road south or north. You might want to go with the Kenai river along with the 1,000s of others that will be there that time of year.For that you would want a guide out of Copper Landing,Sterling, or Soldotna. Mostly floating the upper in rafts or drift boats. If you want to fish north of Anchorage than I'd look up guides in Willow, or Talkeetna area. This might be more of what you are looking for. It kind of depends if you are wanting sockeye salmon then go for the kenai. Just google guides in these towns and you will find something. For off shore fishing look at Homer, or Seward. If you fish the Kenai you will be close to going out halibut fishing in either of these places. Lots of info here on this site for you to look over.Good luck & Tight Lines

Default fly Fishing Guide

Contact Steve Ruyon at Tree Rivers fly Shop.

Steve Ruyon 355-bows or shop 373-5435

Big Fisherman

Consider a drift boat float with Troutfitters of Cooper Landing. About 1.5 hours south of Anchorage, lovely area for sure. Their website will give more info. The Upper Kenai is an area (of the river) I am newly learning more about myself, but it is a beautiful section of the river. At any rate, a day or two on the Kenai Peninsula would be time well spent. Just the drive on the Kenai, from Anchorage down to Seward, from the turn off over towards Cooper Landing, etc.. would be great scenery. Again, once you get down below Soldotna heading south to Homer, nice scenery there as well. The fishing opportunities are limitless and others could give you more info than I could. But if you will be in Anchorage, I would make a point to make a short drive south onto the Kenai Peninsula.

http://aktroutfitters.com/

Some pics from the Kenai Peninsula...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks all for the advice, all very much appreciated. We are spending 3 days in Anchorage, then a day meandering down to Seward, then 3 full days in Seward before driving back to Anchorage for the flight home. We are doing an offshore fishing charter in Seward with more of the family, as there are other things to do and see while in the bigger offshore boat.

I looked into Talkeetna before, but I think that is a little far for just a single day trip. Although I did see that one Road House on TV the other day and that looks like they have some good grub for sure.

We don't really have a preference on type of fish to catch. I've wandered a long ways from South Arkansas and now live in Washington State so we can catch salmon and such around here. That isn't to say I wouldn't want to do salmon fishing, as I'm sure it's a different experience, I'm not just pre-determined on a species.

I guess I'm more interested in not having Pop feel like a pampered tourist, but rather like a new friend is taking us out to his fishing spot. I'm going to take all of ya'll advice and start doing some reading on all of the areas that you guys suggested. If any of my info above triggers any other thoughts please let me know those too!

Thanks a lot!

If going to Seward, check out the website for Kenai Fjords Tours. They offer many nice day cruises and the scenery/wildlife is fantastic. Below are some pictures from our "Captains Choice Tour", which is a smaller boat and gets closer to wildlife. All the below pics are from the Kenai, and you can see which ones were taken from a boat which is the day cruise mentioned above. Pretty much all the wildlife images below were taken on that day cruise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...95387576/show/

http://www.kenaifjords.com/kenai-daycruises.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Call John and Heather Pearson at 907-595-3505.
    http://www.kenaifloat-n-fish.com/index.html

They're good folks who run a great outfit in Cooper Landing. Talk to them about what you're after. As well as the aforementioned option of floating the Upper Kenai, they also do hike in trips to other streams for trout. They'll work with you to set up a trip along the lines of what you're after. John is a stand up guy.

The first run of sockeye salmon on the Russian River near Cooper Landing will be tailing off around the end of June, which makes it a great time to go fish the Russian for rainbows.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Lake Hood flyout?

Quote Originally Posted by erasei View Post
    My family...visiting Alaska... the week before July 4th... I'm looking for a flyfishing guide out of Anchorage that can get us 'out there'...polished excursions... that's just not our interest.
    We have two days open... Looking for a full day for 4-6 of us. We will have the exact number in another week or so. Pop is early 50s, so we can't go crazy on backpacking 8 miles to a spot, but this is his trip and he wants to be 'out in it' as he says.
    I appreciate any recommendations, suggestions, tips, or anything else that will help me make this a trip of a lifetime for him.
    I wonder if a flyout from Lake Hood would work? OK, so: GOAL-Guided flyfishing "out there" from ANC

1. Best option: spend the week moving to Alaska, then take your time poring over options. I'm guessing this won't work but gives some perspective to how it gets tough to choose between: isolation vs expense, time constraints vs expense, quality fishing vs expense.

2. Consider flyout daytrip options out of Lake Hood (Search "lake hood alaska fly fishing"). This option will not be cheap and group size might be an issue, esp if 6 persons, but in terms of getting you "out there" quick - puts you at pretty good fishing destinations across Cook Inlet that might fit the bill just right to spend most of your time fishing.

3. Consider a lodge across the inlet - to spend your 3-day window fishing.

4. All the suggestions to find a guide out of Cooper Landing, Soldotna are good ones, but "out there" is not a characteristic that comes to my mind for most of the Kenai River area fishing. Last year, even the canyon-Skilak stretch was well populated- again that cost vs isolation, etc tradeoff.

5. Re-evaluate Talkeetna area streams. If you drive to fishing somewhere and the experience matters more than quantity of fish, I agree with power drifter in favoring Talkeetna. Both drives are very scenic - terrific. Good visibility days north though offer stunning views of Denali (Mt McKinley). From town, it's a jet boat ride to side streams of the Talkeetna or Susitna Rivers. The further up you go, the more isolated it will be. Fishing might be best at Clear Creek, but if I was seeking isolation, I would fish further upstream. I have wanted to fish with Ray Hardy (http://www.d-ray.com/index.htm) just because I've read some good things about Ray, if the opportunity arose, but don't usually hire a guide. You will probably need a guide unless you have your own gear. TriRiver Charters and Mahay's Riverboat Service also offer jet boat trips - dropoffs, or guided trips too I think (TriRiver does). Their boats can take you a long long ways up area rivers - the cost goes up the further you go, but the angler populations drop off quickly. If you consider a drop-off trip, ask lots of questions.

I wish I had more experience to guide you - only been across the inlet once - with a friend. But in your position, I'd consider calling a few outfits, asking some specific questions about the experience, group size etc for comparison then pick what fits your priorities/budget best.

Whatever option you choose: If you can find someone to give some pointers on "nymphing", a specific ... style/method of subsurface flyfishing before leaving home. My first outing with weighted flies was mainly a session in untangling knots. Having a headstart with the basic mechanics could save you some time.

Best of luck.