Thread: Flys!!!!!!!

Default Flys!!!!!!!

what are the best flies to use on red salmon?

are you serious? russian river red fly....tie em yerself. just use a little thread and deer hair any color and get em!

Release Lake Trout

the russian river fly is designed very poorly for sockeye. Even for lining sockeye, you want something sparse, that'll sink fast and keep your leader horizontal if you are lining, with the RR fly you have to constantly pull the line to keep the fly down. I like comets, sockeye orange, and little green nymphs, myself, and I nymph to passing sockeye, about 1 in 500 will actually eat, if you do it right. Lining is fast and effective and actual fly choice is not very important what is important is keeping the fly down and IMO the RR fly rides way higher than the line/lead in most cases because of the buoyant materials used.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    the russian river fly is designed very poorly for sockeye. Even for lining sockeye, you want something sparse, that'll sink fast and keep your leader horizontal if you are lining, with the RR fly you have to constantly pull the line to keep the fly down. I like comets, sockeye orange, and little green nymphs, myself, and I nymph to passing sockeye, about 1 in 500 will actually eat, if you do it right. Lining is fast and effective and actual fly choice is not very important what is important is keeping the fly down and IMO the RR fly rides way higher than the line/lead in most cases because of the buoyant materials used.

Yeah, what he said. Comets are pretty good with the bead chain holding them down.

AKPM - what sized hook are you using for your nymphs on reds? Standard trout sizes?

This year I am going smaller than in the past and tying some sparse flys on 4, 6, and 8 hooks. Mostly following Routes patterns and material suggestions.

Default Saw a guy...

gettin' them with a bead headed nymph or somethin' like that...it was a smallish size 12 hook or something similar...was pretty neat to see him land a fish that size with a hook that small...he'd just drop his hook in the water, right at the confluence, & then let it drift down & out a bit & WHAM! Fish on!!!

If you get russian river/coho flies then cut nearly all the hair off of them so that they sink better. But AKPM is actually is right on the money w/ his advice... Comets are probably the best, but it's important to have a high quality hook with enough strength to land a sockeye in fast water, so keep that in mind when you select your comets or nymph patterns.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    what are the best flies to use on red salmon?
    A gill net.
    Now what ?

I have has the best success w/ epoxy head alvin patterns, micky fin's, and crystal wing flies. I prefer a unweighted fly and "drift" the fly as dead as possible and either the fish are lined and or they bite, either way at least I am using a fly that I know they will occationally bite if not forced to.

Definitely something that's got a bit of sink to it as said, but I think in general I prefer the ones with hooks in them