Thread: Homer Halibut

Smile Homer Halibut

Whats the earliest you've had moderate success out of homer for halibut. I am planning on a trip on the 8th and 9th of May. Haven't fished that early before so I was inquiring if the BUTS have moved in to the bay by then? Any info would be appreciated...

Default Earliest butts out of homer

I believe it was around the middle of may for my earliest trip. It was hit and miss when we went but we still did ok and did find a few buttts to bring home. You should be able to find a few fish somewhere during your trip dates. It will only get better after that.
    According to reports on AOJ there have been a few chickens caught while king trolling near Seldovia already this year.
    Good Luck,
    Chris
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

a friend went out in front of seldovia yesterday and caught their limit quick
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Thumbs up

4 of us went out on Thurs. with Coho Dave and had a great day. No Kings but we picked up our limit of Butt and some Blackies. Small yes, but good tablefare non the least...the butt on the far right was 34" (17lbs)
    3-25-10.jpg

Went last Monday off Seldovia with Capt. Josh on the f/v "Huntress" and limited out on Halibut in a couple of hours the largest one was 35lbs. and tagged from the 08 derby! We also caught two king salmon trolling....One was 42.5 inches and would have been a possible derby winner...Good fun

Thanks to everyone for there valuable info.... I'll definitely be heading out when that second week of may.....