Thread: gun oil

Default gun oil

lookin for some gun oil called slip2000 anybody know where i can get some i've heard and read nothing but good things about it

Default Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by dewayne View Post
    lookin for some gun oil called slip2000 anybody know where i can get some i've heard and read nothing but good things about it
    Welcome to the forum! I have not heard of it myself. What is its claim to fame over the other gun oils? I have thought the market is ripe for a new firearms lube that takes advantage of all the new technology.

Marketing "Gun Oil" says the lubricant will work for many different purposes under many different applications and not fail before changing or re-lube. None of the variables are defined.... That makes it really hard to make a "one size fits all" gun oil. Saying all that to say this: Now more than ever before someone could design a lubricant that could come closer than previous products to being a "one size fits all" firearms lubricant.

Petro based lubricants have came a long way in the last decade. With technology advancements and synthetics it is amazing what is done now in industrial applications. In my line of work I engineer products that can now use sealed cartride bearings for life under normal use, versus many hours of labor and grease packing the previous method.

Default gun oil

http://www.slip2000.com/media/PDF/GunLube-AB.pdf this is some of the info i've read on it just trying to find the best i put some hopps number 9 on my ar the other day an put only 60 rounds through it before it started smoking and had a foul burnt smell to it " i'm assuming its the oil" but just lookin for the best if you have any suggestions on any product you prefer im all ears

After reading their advertising, I'm wondering why their lube doesn't jump off the rifle and lubricate my squeaky door hinges too . It seems to do everything else, which makes me wonder why I've never heard of it before...

This strikes me the same as the "Atomic-level Engine Oil Treatment" that used to sell in truck stops for $65/gal. Promised a 25% fuel economy gain, removal of carbon deposits, repair of worn rod and cam bearings, and an increase in horsepower, all while extending oil change intervals by 50%. Snake oil that didn't do anything except make the marketer money.

Anybody have a first-hand report on Slip 2000? I'd love to hear what it actually does versus what it promises...

Default slip 2000

i heard about this stuff from a guy that runs a gun store in soldotna talked to him again today an he said that the stuff was initially made as a lubricant for the railroad not exactly sure for what but supposedly this company slip2000 is buying it an maybe puttin in some additives an sellin it as gun lube he only had his personal bottle he got at a gun show but again if anybody knows where i can get some it'd be much appreciated

I have not seen it before. LPS or Kroil are readily available.

Default Slip2000

I read an article about Slip 2000 in Precision Shooting magazine and the writer really praised the stuff. Compared Slip 2000 to other products and used a bore scope to boot. That was the good news. Bad news is you canít find it in Alaska, and with the Post office restrictions on shipping you canít mail it up here either. Sounded like great stuff.

Slip2000 has a web site and you can read the testimonial from Precision Shooting article.

They list a dealer in Wasila. Grouse Ridge Inc. 6967 E. Tex-Al Dr, Wasila Ak phone 907-376-2473

They also show Russ Haydon Shooter Supply in Gig Harbor Washington as a dealer. This is an old line supplier and a phone call to the might be worth while.

Let us know what you find out !!

i guess iam set in my ways to comes to some products about gun cleaning and stay with a three part system i used over the years ..so intill there something that all units of the diff brands i use into one unit ..i stick to those products i know that will work ..

Quote Originally Posted by dewayne View Post
    http://www.slip2000.com/media/PDF/GunLube-AB.pdf this is some of the info i've read on it just trying to find the best i put some hopps number 9 on my ar the other day an put only 60 rounds through it before it started smoking and had a foul burnt smell to it " i'm assuming its the oil" but just lookin for the best if you have any suggestions on any product you prefer im all ears
    Hoppes #9 is not gun oil. Its a cleaning solvent. Your AR will do fine with CLP or some other actual lubricant.

Brownells.com has it.

The SLIP EWL is very good also.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutjob View Post
    Hoppes #9 is not gun oil. Its a cleaning solvent. Your AR will do fine with CLP or some other actual lubricant.
    I belive the hoppies oil I use is called benchrest #9 with weather shield it is oil. There is also hoppies #9 gun oil which is also oil. Hoppies #9 solvent is most likely what your refering to if it be #9 or #9 benchrest solvent.

I have resently bought Birchwood casey syntheadic gun oil to see if it evaporate slower and so protects better.

Just for basic information on synteadic oils go to redline oils website. I use there motor oils and two cycle racing oil. I beat it would work great as a storeage gun oil. In short the poly-ester based oil stock is top stuff by any and all measures. Best heat evaporation rating.

177.000miles on a 5.3 chevy 10,000 mile oil changes and no measurable oil consumtion. 8,000mi on 2001 XP SP runs great went 3,000mi on the first set of stock champion plugs, but now I just change them each year to not have them stop working in some remote area.

Whoops. My mistake. Now that I'm thinking about it, I actually had a little container of the Hoppes oil years ago . I never used it though. It was a light, clear oil and the container was orange.

At any rate, there are a lot of good oils that will work just fine in the OP's AR.