Thread: Another great day with my nephew

Thumbs up Another great day with my nephew

My nephew and I took our last hare hunting trip of the winter today and had a great time. We managed 7 between the two of us, and must have passed up another 7 on the way back to the truck since we decided we had enough. Spectacular weather, plentiful hares, and a good time all around. To make it even better, he had just signed up for his hunter ed course this morning, so we spent the entire drive talking about the regs, meat care, tracking animals, and all sorts of other things. He learned how to look up the seasons and limits by area, how to tell a young bull from a cow caribou, etc. etc. It was a very good day.

Here's the young hunter with #7. He surprised me with a shot as I was looking the other way. I didn't even see the hare before he took it. I'm a proud uncle today.

Great stuff there Brian........he's a lucky boy.

Thanks! It was a good time. There was a moment yesterday that will stick in my memory forever. We had walked down the trail about a half mile from the snowmachine, and I decided it was time to go back to get the machine. I asked my nephew if he wanted to stay there and hunt the hillside we were on, or whether he wanted to walk back with me. After some hesitation, he decided to stay and hunt on his own for a few minutes - the first time he had ever done that. We reviewed the importance of only taking good shots and gun safety - stuff he's heard from me a million times, but good to review yet again. I then turned and walked away. After I had gone about 50 yards I heard a "click". I turned around and saw him looking up into the brush. He looked back at me, held up two fingers and then pointed up the hill. Then he looked at me and gave me a sly thumbs up as a huge smile came across his face...and then he began his stalk. Love it. That moment was a step in him growing up, in doing something on his own and demonstrating his abilities. In short, it was one small step in this boy becoming a man. I was very privileged to witness it. He didn't get either of those two hares, but later in the day he did venture off on his own and shoot one without me at his side. To say he was satisfied would be an understatement. To say I was satisfied would be an equal understatement. Yesterday was good.

The grin on his face says it all!

Default Young hunter

Gtreat experience and well written up. Good on ya.

Thumbs up Hares are good...

... any number of ways, but I tried a new cooking method Sunday. I let my hare carcasses (back legs plus half of backstrap left intact) soak in salt water overnight as I always do, then I took them out the next day and liberally brushed them with Lawry's Mesquite Jerk marinade. I placed the carcasses on the top rack of my grill which was turned to the lowest setting, and proceeded to roast the critters. Every 5 minutes I turned and brushed the meat with the marinade. I cooked them long enough for the bony, lower shanks of the back legs to get crispy- about 40 minutes. When I was sure the meat was done clean through, I removed them to a cutting board and cut them up into serving sizes and served them with seasoned rice and salad. The meat was moist and tasty, and my family went for them more than they usually do with birds or bunnies. Give it a try!

Great tip! I'll give that a shot with at least a few of them. We were also talking about trying to wrap the de-boned meat in bacon and grilling them that way. Another member's talk of curry has me wanting to try that as well. So many options...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Great tip! I'll give that a shot with at least a few of them. We were also talking about trying to wrap the de-boned meat in bacon and grilling them that way. Another member's talk of curry has me wanting to try that as well. So many options...
    ...so many hares.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Enjoy it while it lasts

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    ...so many hares.
    It's boom and bust for bunnies (how about that for alliteration).

Congrats proud uncle!!