Thread: Rockfish setup

Default Rockfish setup

i was wondering what you would use for a setup for rockfish and where to find them out of homer thanks

I use the same rod/reel that I do for trolling...medium action 8' spinning rod with 14# Sufix mono.

Swim baits, any jig combo that gets you to the fish, shrimp flies and a sinker. I'm sure the Homeroids can lead you in the right direction, I moved from there four years ago, and never spent much time targeting the local waters.

Fish along the kelp lines with small jigs beyond Pogi. Once you get to the islands, use a depth sounder and find the rock piles and where the fish are. I'd recommend only fishing those at a slack tide, otherwise it will be a lot less frustrating if you just go there at a moving tide and throw all your lures and half a spool of line in the water, then go home. I'd probably use something that could bring up a ling cod since there are plenty of them out there.

Spinnows and little chunks of herring.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

depends on the type of rockfish

I either use a bucktail jig on a baitcaster and fish em like I'm fishing for small mouth on rockpiles or fish em with an 8 weight and sinking line on weed beds. I try to keep it below 60' so I can release em
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

i use my trolling gear, or a 7 1/2' spinning rod strung with #20 mono... doesn't really matter , they are not line shy.
    any scampi-type or lead jig will work.
    try the kelp beds just inside pogi. or off seldovia point. the kelp beds off the bluff can be good too, but you will have to look around for them. they tend to be more blacks on the pogi side, and light and dark duskies on the bluffs.
    no yelloweye any closer than elizabeth, for all practical purposes.
    couple places in the islands where there are enough duskies for dinner, but you gotta find them yourself... (that's all part of the fun )
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I use the same gear for Silver. Small jigs..
    Fish the kelps. On good days when they are not shy and you can get them up to the surface I switch over to a fly rod....
    pinnacles are a great place to find them..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

During the years I lived in southeast I used my trolling rod also. I would put on a jig or a piece of herring. I noticed some things about rock fish scuba diving also. While you can see them in a lot of places and at different depths certain places seemed to attract big schools of them. Rock walls and pinnacles with the bottom less than 100 feet down were the best for running into schools. In these places the schools would normally be in 40' - 80' of water hanging out in front of the rock walls. I didn't see them on the bottom very much surprisingly. Get a sea chart and look for places like these. I think most fish in south central tend to be a little deeper than in south east also.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.