Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR style .308 shooters?

Default AR style .308 shooters?

So, havent seen many threads on this subject, so I'm curious... are there many fans of the 308 AR's?

I picked up an Armalite AR-10T (24" SS bbl) a few weeks ago, and while it's a bit of a challenge to find a good load for, it's an absolute blast to shoot. Today, I tested some handloads and unfortunately, the best shooters for my rifle was Nosler Ballistic Tip 165's. I say unfortunately because the Nos BT's are (in my mind) too expensive for target shooting, and too worthless for Alaska hunting (not that I'd tote this particular AR very far in the woods anyway). Today with a load of 43.0 Varget I got .75" 5 round groups at 100 and .75 5 round groups at 200

My friend has a DPMS LR-308 with a 20" bbl- A2 setup which seems to shoot just about anything less than an inch.

Nevertheless, it's still a LOT of fun to shoot off the bench with very little recoil, and the legs to get pretty far. I've shot 3 sessions at the range with it, and shot 180 rounds the first session, 47 the next, and 150 the third, with absolutely no effects of recoil (there really isn't any).

So, are these catching on? Seems to me with the right setup (barrel length etc) that they'd be a very useful rifle for hunting most things here.

I have a 1:10 24" ASA AR .308 side charger. It prefers 175gr and 200gr Match Kings over the light stuff. Hand loads with 4007sc and the 200's will put 5 shots inside of a 1/2"

It likes Federal match 175's over any other production match ammo I've tried. Hornady match 168's jam on every shot. They will not eject and the next round gets a nasty double feed.

Looking for a buyer so I can put the cash towards a 338 Lapua. I have over 4K invested in this rifle. I would consider $2500 without optics, only 110 rounds shot, perfect condition. Manufactor claims 1/2" moa gaurantee, it does it with production and or hand loads.

Extras:

match barrel, free floating
    match trigger, two stage
    mag pul stock, sniper
    bi-pod, harris
    cooley brake
    1 piece billet base with integrated 30mm rings
    2 - 5 round armalite mags
    2 - 10 round armalite mags
    2 - 25 round armalite mags
    2 pistol grips
    hard case
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet rifle... Mine has an 11.25" twist, so the 165-168's have been better for me... Federal GMM 168's being the best of the factory stuff.

Is that a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20" I just got one at SW with the Varmint Hunting Reticle, and am waiting for my 30mm ring mount to come in. Right now all I have is a cheap Bushnell 18x which was laying around, and got me out shooting.

I've found that min loads cause malfunctions in my AR-10... maybe the gas port is too small, but as soon as I get a grain or two above mins, it functions just fine. Today, I only had one brass get damaged beyond repair, and 2 or 3 more malfunctions which I attribute to lack of cleaning/ oiling. I shot 150 rds today without any cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I tested some handloads and unfortunately, the best shooters for my rifle was Nosler Ballistic Tip 165's. I say unfortunately because the Nos BT's are (in my mind) too expensive for target shooting, and too worthless for Alaska hunting (not that I'd tote this particular AR very far in the woods anyway).
    If you liked the BT's you can switch to Accubonds with the same results and better performance on game. The bullet is the same shape and has the same BC. The Accubond has a thicker jacket and controlled expansion.

Good guess on the scope, yes it is. Good luck with your rifle, pass the word to your buddies. No malfunctions with hand loads, Black Hills or Federal, only Hornady Match, go figure?

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    1 piece billet base with integrated 30mm rings
    Anymore info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Anymore info on this?
    I'm away from home until Wednesday. The rifle is a ASA Side Charger 308 with the extras listed in the previous post.

The link below has data on the rifle.

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/pr...ifle-14-1.html

The next link has info on the base and ring set up, mine is 30mm.

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/pr...unt-102-9.html

The rifle is in perfect condition. I have other interests and would like to put the proceeds of this rifle into another long range weapon.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have a DPMS LR243 and looking for a 308 upper to go with it.

I've got an Armalite 16" AR-10A4 Carbine, shoots MOA all day long with Federal 175gGMM, spreads out a bit with 168s, still shoots them well enough, but it definetly prefers heavier bullets, me too! Been on the hunt for some good 180g, or even better 200g loads to try out. The carbine is a lot easier to tote-around, I'd like to find a 16" .338 federal upper, or have one made someday.
    -J

Default Mine is....

a DPMS AP4. Had some troubles getting the supplied steel mags to work, giving the typical jams, ftf, fte's...ordered in five of the MagPul 20 rounders, and not a single malfunction of any sort.
    So far, the only loads I've used in it are 168 A Max Hornady/Varget, some of the old 'white box' 173 gr. National Match Lake City, and the 'brown box' M118 'Special Purpose' Lake City.
    All of these loads shoot more than good in this short barrel. At 16", a .308 is LOUD! 18 would be better, and 20 or 22 better yet. Don't know that I see a real good reason for a barrel longer than that, though I do have a 26" heavy barreled bolt gun, but it doesn't give any better ballistic performance than my 22" barreled rifles.
    It IS a literal and figurative 'blast' to shoot! Not sure that competitors on either side of me would have as much fun as me if shot in competition, but the performance is there to do well at least out to 600 yards.
    I've an old load I've been using on prairie dogs and rock chucks for years, consisting of a 130 gr. Speer hollowpoint and IMR 4895 that gives a true 'red mist' effect, even with big 'chucks. We're finally getting some decent weather, but I let my membership expire at the range, and have to wait for the next membership meeting to get the new combination.....
    I believe that if I were going to do another upper for this rifle, it'd be in .260 Remington, or more likely 6.5X284 with a fast twist.
    To be completely honest, this rifle is no lightweight, and if I did it again, I'd hold out for an M1A.

I've been considering getting a DPMS LR243L. It's an AR-10 (.243 Win. is a .308 Win. case necked down to .243"). It looks like it'd be the ticket for fast follow up shots on predators. Three drawbacks may steer me toward a bolt rifle though:

-At 8 lbs. it's pretty heavy for my taste.
    -I'd have to full length resize the case for every reload.
    -As others have said, it may be a little picky about what load it will cycle reliably.

I've already got a Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06, it's ugly as sin but it's a great shooter and lightweight. Maybe I'll save $900 and go with s Tikka in .243 Win.

If I were to get a military style rifle in .308 Win. it would definately be an M1A. To each his own though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    ...if I did it again, I'd hold out for an M1A.
    This one is "feather light":

I took it black bear hunting once (but didn't see a bear).

This one is "feather light":
    How light is "feather light"? Although I prefer the classic looking wood furniture on an M1A, I'd consider going with the modern looking setup if it saves a couple lbs. Can you give the rifle specs? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    How light is "feather light"? Although I prefer the classic looking wood furniture on an M1A, I'd consider going with the modern looking setup if it saves a couple lbs. Can you give the rifle specs? Thanks.
    I'm sorry wyobohunter. I should have put one of those winky symbols after my post. If I recall, it weighs in at about 11 lbs. But it's quite comfy to carry with the 3-pt sling. Also, it recoils like a .223. I literally can empty a 25 round magazine in the prone fairly-accurately (most within 18") in 6 seconds. This should be a hugely important hunting feature if the bears every regroup, and plan and mount well-organized counterattacks by large platoon-sized ursine units against us hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    If I were to get a military style rifle in .308 Win. it would definately be an M1A. To each his own though.

I shot one of these demo rifles after a weekend long-range shooting class taught by McMillan. I don't recall the last open sight rifle I've shot so my open sight work is lame. Having said that I hit 9 out of 10 steel plates at 200 yards my first time with this rifle, very accurate and very cool system...

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-ri...ctical-m1a.php

This should be a hugely important hunting feature if the bears every regroup, and plan and mount well-organized counterattacks by large platoon-sized ursine units against us hunters.
    "To locate, close with and destroy... Or to repel the enemies assualt with fire and close combat". If the enemy is bears I think I'll go for fire & maneuver over close combat

A friend recently got a LaRue OBR.
    I shot quite well with it through the iron sights and am hoping he will get optics on it soon so I can try that out!
    If/When I get a .308 AR, it will be a LaRue for sure.

It was an interesting day. There were 3 AR's at the range, 2 308's and one 458. I think alternative calibers are getting popular.

When talking to White Oak Eng about building me a .308 they sure did spend a bunch of time talking me out of it. They did build me a 6.5 Grendel with a Krieger barrel and like that upper much better for accuracy and the fact that it used a regular AR lower rather than the bigger lower. These sure can be temperamental to work with and get all you hope for out of them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Big Al, lets see the Grendel!!!

Default 308 ar

I have a Bushmaster BAR 10 in 308. I know that there was lots of bad things said about this rifle but for me none of them are true. The scope that I have on it now is not great but the first one was good enough for hunting. I am shooting Sierra 165BTHP and have been very pleased with it. I am getting soild 1" groups at 100yds with this load. I have taken two caribou withy it as well. I set it up for , what I call, long range shooting. One caribou was takne at 320 yards and one at 370 yards. It help when you use a laser range ranger when shooting any distance.
    It this rifle a little on the heavy side, yes, it weighs in at about 10lbs but it is fun to shoot. Would I get another one? I would withput even thinking about it. One good thing about this rifle is the use of low cost mags that are easy to get.
    The son-in-law has a AR10T with a real nice scope on it and he likes it a bunch. His girls both have fun shooting it also.

What ever you get, shoot it a lot to get to know what it likes and does not like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast