Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who gets to shoot?

Default Who gets to shoot?

In a hunting party of say 4 people, how do you determine shooting order? Looking for clever, possibly entertaining suggestions.

I think it's a decision based on many variables including, but not limited, to:

1) Who sees it first
    2) Who's got the better shot at long range
    3) Who in the party has never shot the particular critter
    4) Who has the tag if y'all are all participating for one person's hunt

I guess what I'm getting at is to me these are the first items that popped in to my head when i saw your post. Biggest thing i think would be to determine what criteria y'all are gonna use before you're afield. A 4x hunt would be a great time with your buds but if Billy shoots when Bobby had a bead on the critter they may end up at enmity with each other over it.

Default shooting

First off, I would not hunt in a group of four. Split up into 2 groups of 2 and go your separate ways to hunt each day. You may stay in the same camp, but don't hunt together during the day. Flip a coin for who gets to shoot first on day one. Alternate first shooter each day so both guys get a fair chance.

OR go with a guy who thinks he's a quick shot, but is wrong

Depends on what a person is looking for. Last year I wanted a bull moose of any size, my buddy wanted to try and find a bigger bull. He saw the first moose, was smaller than what he was looking for on day one. I was more than happy to notch my tag. I agree there are different variables that go into this decision and have seen some friendships strained when this wasn't worked out beforehand.

Default Order

Don't forget, who has the safest shot too.

When I'm hunting with more than just myself, as long as it's safe, whoever spotted the animal gets first crack at it, unless they want to pass. If I have a new hunter with me, they always get the first shot. Just part of being a good host.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

if a bear is chasing your friend at the time you could quickly ask him/her if its okay to shoot first since they are the ones who always get the first shot at everything.

Default flip a coin

My partner and I flip a coin for the first day then we alternate every day from there. Bear hunting we take turns every year as we only shoot one per year.
    Then there is always hide the ammo on everybody else, then leave a treasure hunt map(always a ice breaker on a hunting trip) and by the time they find the ammo your done and they we happily help you pack in your game.

Well every situation is different. depends what will work best for you and your hunting partners.

Default Hmmm

I can't recall EVER being so close to another hunter that it was a choice really?
    On any big game hunt I have been on I always bring it up well before we start hunting and usually we split up enough to not be seeing the same game.
    However, say when we have called in elk, moose, turkey and I was with another hunter - and one would be my limit - we go with
    A who saw it first
    B who has the best shot which may not be A

Archery hunting for called in critters can be a roll of the dice as to who will have the best seat in the house...

Just put a muzzle break on your rifle and you will always be first. The moment you throw your rifle up, everyone else will run like hell with their hands over their ears.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default friends first

I always let my friends and relatives go first, once they screw it up, I remedy the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    I always let my friends and relatives go first, once they screw it up, I remedy the situation.

So....to the owner of the killing shot goes the spoils ?

The guys I hunt with obide that he who spots it first gets first crack at it. If they cannot do it, its an open invite.

Who ever puts the first bullet in it "Gets" it. Help is often appreciated.

We devide everything equally, be it meat, and skins go to them what "gets" it.

When we hunt by boat, the boat gets 1/2.
    The gunner and the crew divi up the other 1/2.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default I don't get it

I do everything I can NOT to shoot. I look the other way, I do the calling for the other guys, I set guys up in prime spots. I figure if I don't see it first, or if they are in a better spot, then they get to shoot. And punch their tag. And I get to share in the meat. And better yet? I get to keep hunting.
    Sure, I'll back up a fellow hunter if needed. And if push comes to shove, I'll do the honors. But for me, based on our moose hunts at least, I am pretty sure we'll end up with meat one way or the other.
    Killing is anti-climatic for me and also means I am done hunting for the season for that animal. Personally I'd rather have a dozen opportunities to get close and "almost" make it than kill the first "something" I see.
    Beyond that, I get much more satisfaction watching somebody else be successful and I like the feeling I get when I help my friends and family through memorable experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    When I'm hunting with more than just myself, as long as it's safe, whoever spotted the animal gets first crack at it, unless they want to pass. If I have a new hunter with me, they always get the first shot. Just part of being a good host.
    That's exactly how I do it as well. I've heard of others who work on an every-other-day rotation, which seems like a decent idea as well.

Realistically, though, I can't foresee many times in the coming years when I'll be taking the first shot while hunting with others. When I hunt with my wife, I'd rather defer to her. The same with my nephew or my few friends who I'm introducing to hunting. I hunt solo a lot, and hopefully I'll win a drawing permit, but when with others I'll probably do more sitting back than taking aim. I wouldn't have it any other way most of the time.

Default Ontario Hunting and beyond

I mostly hunt deer and moose in Ontario. We usually only have calf tags for moose and either sex for deer. When moose hunting, me and my father do the most dogging because we know the bush. Which is alot more work. But if we can push something to someone on a watch, I'm just as happy knowing I helped in them getting the game as I am I when shooting. I love shooting also but its all part of the hunting process. When someone has a bull or cow tag the opening day it's there shooting day, after the first day it's open to everyone that applied in the group, and whenever we get something the meat if split up evenly. It all works out in the end and everyone should just evenjoy there time in the field and be happy to harest an animal or not. I'm am starting this july as a packer/wrangler in the yukon at an outfitt and i'm sure helping do the bull work and help in the hunt i'll be just as happy even when i'm not shooting. Think as if your trespasing in god's country when in the wild and enjoy every moment of it!

Default Possibly misunderstood...

To clarify, I enjoy others success as much as anyone. I am a long way from being the experienced hunter that so many on this forum are, but I am also a far cry from some blood thirsty, greedy, glory seeking ball hog. The purpose of this post was to basically see if any of you had clever/fun/competitive methods for determining who gets the short straw so-to-speak. Would also be interested in traditions/pranks for first time hunters and first time kills. Thanks.

For reasons I don't need to go into, I generally suggest on my hunts that we go in first-name alphabetical order, except once when I was hunting with a guy named Aaron--one of the few names that beats mine in that regard.

Seriously, anymore I mostly hunt alone. If my wife has time she goes along or once in a while one of the boys (they are grown and busy also) so it's never a problem. When the boys go, we don't hunt in each others back pocket. We split up and go our own way, but I gladly let either of them take the first shot and I try very hard to set the wife up for a good shot.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Default Goblue

Fun idea's Hmmm
    Well, there are three of us going to Ontario for a moose hunt this fall - Myself, my son and a dear friend named Greg!
    We all take a $20 and nail them to the cabin wall - first guy to drop a moose gets the loot! Just a fun way to tease ea other about who is getting the money!
    Also, Greg does not know this but his wife is going to get me his good hunting socks to pack, in the mean time she will pack some old ones and is going to cut the ends off all of them! Should be a hoot when he opens his gear at the camp!
    I am sure he will get revenge!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast