Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land prices to build a cabin? And how to buy land?

Red face Land prices to build a cabin? And how to buy land?

My wife and I are interested in moving up to Alaska, and I'd like to get an idea on how much 5-10 acres of land might be.

I'm guessing I'll have 10-20K to play around with.

We don't want to live in or next to a city. We'd like to be about 30-60 miles from "civilization." We're interested in building our own cabin and growing our own veggies and whatnot.

What's a ballpark figure for what we want to do anyplace from Homer to Fairbanks? I haven't been able to find a lot of good websites to give me some accurate ideas.

Thanks!

Default Land prices?

That really depends on if you want electricity to the place. Also if you want to be able to drive your car/truck to it. 5 acres up north of Talkeetna can be had for around $15-20,000. This you may never see power and you might have to walk or 4 wheeler in on a trail a good ways. 5 acres in the matsu valley approx 40-60 mins out of Anchorage can run $100,000+. Land here is anything but cheap. If you find some that sounds really nice and cheap, be careful as there is a lot of land here that is bogs and wetland and you really can't build much on that kind of land. Don't buy without looking at it and it's best if you can see it in the summer as in the winter you might not really see what it's really like. Some times its good to see it in the winter as well just to see what kind of sun you get. Some Mountains block out all sun light in the winter for a few months it's not the end of the world but some people might not like it so you do need to look around a bit to be sure it's what you want. Hope this gives you a little idea what to expect.

Thanks for the ideas. We're going to try and go off-the-grid as much as possible. I'll research Talkeetna...it might be doable.

The best research you can do is to get out and walk the lot; I can't overstress the importance of that. If the description has "wetlands" in it, don't even bother. Lots of that kind of stuff around Anchor Point. If you can get owner financing through a bank with an escrow account, that's the best way (aside from paying cash). alaskarealestate.com is a good website to start with.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Yeah more often than not it won't say anything about it being 10 acres of sponge. I went to look at a $75000 ten acre lot. It was 8 acres of swamp and the remaining 2 acres had a right of way through it for access to the next lot down. The right of way cut right through the best part of the property and came with a 50' easement on either side. Basically making the 10 acre lot into two $37K 3/4 acre lots!! I offered them 28K and never heard back....

Default bernie at remote properties

I bought our chunk site un seen, looking back it could have been a disaster.
    You will find that most off the grid sites are as the term implies tough to get to and no real estate outfit I know of will whisk you off from the office to take you out and show you your peice of paridise.

Bernie had my chunk listed for a LONG time. Before that it was listed for years with someone else. It did have an existing structure on it and as you can imagine it had deteriorated a good bit.

He gave me the best advise I have ever gotten from an agent, he told me to take a book of matches with me and decide if I should flame it or not.
    As it turns out, the place passed my expectations. It does'nt take much to make us happy although I have no intention of living in it year around.

My point is he did know a good bit about the access to the place and its condition. He was very honest and forthcoming, and as a buyer of the place I found this unusual from a real estate person. I work for a good many of them and it seems most of them are interested in the sale and will say almost anything to dupe you.

Timber, water, access, fish and game. Very tough to find all of these on one parcel. They are out there but will require a good bit of searching.
    Maybe look into some run down place to build on. If it was good enough for someone to originally contruct a cabin, chances are its decent land. Besides an old crappy cabin is way better than a tent while you build your own place.http://www.remoteproperties.com/

How do you plan to access the land? The way land works in Alaska is if you can't drive a vehicle to it at least part of the year, then it is much less expensive then land you can drive to. The part that one needs to be very careful figure out is, if you can't drive to it, how do you access it, and how expensive will that access be both for you to get to and from the land and for you to get building materials and supplies to the land.

To me being able to drive a 4X4 truck to the land in the summer is worth at least $50k.

With a budget of $10-20k you are looking at a 1 acre reasonably accessible lot, or 5-10 acres that will be more challenging to access. Just don't underestimate how difficult difficult access is, nor how expensive. You should assume that you will have to hall building materials to the sight, very little land has sufficient timber to build a cabin.

If you can drive to the property then you can bring a 5th wheel or camper to live out of while you build your cabin. As much as I like camping, there is no way I'd live in a tent for a summer or two while building a cabin.

Are you planning to be employed while living at your cabin? There are very few places in Alaska where you can grow and or catch/hunt enough to eat. So even though you may dream of living off the grid, the reality is you'll still need $, and that requires access to areas where there are jobs. To be able to buy land, build a cabin and live off the land as much as possible will require $50-100k and no debt. That was our plan when we moved up here, but we didn't have the $, ended up getting hooked in sub-burban living and now that we could afford that dream, the kids are too tied up with schools/activities/friends/etc.

Here's a couple of site's for the interior,

www.newsminer.com
    www.deltanewsweb.com

Dont know if you want to live in the interior, it can get cold, but the summer's are nice, and you get the real feeling of the Alaska adventure.

Hope this help's. Just look in the classifids, or a real estate ad.

Default Land

If you have only 10-20 k at your disposal you could buy a 1-3 acre lot on the Kenai Peninsula with road access. You could build a cabin and just say no to the electric company. Look up Alaska MLS.com You can look for property listed with realitors on there. Good luck.

You need to look in the interior. I just purchased my property for $20K, and it has reasonable road access (just one slough crossing), electric on property, good soil, and its ten acres. These deals can be had in areas about 20-60 miles outside of Fairbanks. Our land is 30 miles out of town.

I agree with jeremiahak. I'm flying up in may to buy some land
    and there are several properties in the 5-14 acre range for
    15,000 to 20,000. All have road access but some lack power close
    by and all about 30-50 miles from FB. Go to the realtors sites--Remax
    Fox are two good ones. Good luck.

www.alaskarealestate.com

Do an advanced search. You can select Mat-Su and then look for remote. There are quite a few vacant lots that are off the grid for the price range you are looking for. As mentioned above you'll want to get on the ground before you buy it though. A friend of mine has a cabin off the Yentna. Someone recently bought a lot near him without seeing it and was disappointed to find it was mostly swamp.

Also check this site:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/

Default http://www.landinalaska.com/listingst.htm

I just bought my place on a lake west of Willow/Talkeetna. Here's the webpage: http://www.landinalaska.com/listingst.htm

They seem to have a nice variety of remote properties at decent prices.

Default good land cheap,tok,ak

you might want to look at tok ,alaska . good land with power and the best well water in alaska is available in tok alaska . 5 acres with power on good road only 14000.00 is available now only 4 miles from town.check out ruralalaskarealestate.com which is in tok ,ak. hope this might help you .

Lots of good responses and info here. I'm going to offer some advice and you can take it or leave it, I just thought I would make you aware. Make sure you do some research on the area you are looking at to include climate, bugs and people. There are some awsome places in this state, but there are some pretty nasty close minded people in some of them as well. Make sure you know who your neighbors are going to be, natives looking at you like a trespassing leach? Clannish lowlifes sucking on the gov't teat who love nothing more than to steal everything you have when you go to town? Pot growers who are confrontational and trigger happy? Being new and from out of state can really put off some folks in tucked away places, they see you as an invader and wanting to change the way things are. Wherever you move to, keep that in mind and reasure your neighbors you are not going to do that.
    Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic folks in Alaska and this site is testament to that.
    We have been down this road twice already and it really took the wind out of our sails, but we are still looking for a place to call home and get off the road system to build our home in the wilderness. Nothing will keep us from our dream!
    Check the climate and make sure you have the proper gear and mindset to handle the minus 40F or 60F for weeks on end or relentless rain and bugs etc. It all depends on your location, I'm just throwing that out there. I have no idea of your skills or who you are and you may be totally fine with all of this. I just felt compelled to write this as something to consider when looking for that perfect spot. We are going down a similar path it seems.
    I wish you all the best and good luck in your quest. If you come to Alaska, be prepared to adapt to it and not change it to suit you and you will have a much better time. I hope you find what you are looking for and keep us posted!

Mountaintrekker

own land in alaska, currently working in thaila

Default reply

I sent you a private message about some land I have outside Talkeetna, just up from Skwentna, if you are interested.

Dude..outside of Talkeetna, just up from Skentna... That's an area bigger than Rhode Island. It's a full day ride on a snowmachine just to get to Skwentna from Talkeetna.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

oh the alaskan dream! just move to anchorage and call it good, or you could move to meth-su that is just a extension of muldoon.
    Semper Fi!

look on alaska craigslist in real estate, lots of listings

Release Lake Trout

own land in alaska, currently working in thaila

Default Ha ha, true, it's a big area, maybe this would help

It's tract G, yes, you'll have to blow it up to see it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast