Thread: reds

Talking reds

when is a good date to hit the russian river this year 2010?

Mid June through the end of July
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Go talk to the bears, they always seem to know where the fish are at.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Here is the line to the fish counts, look from year to year and make you best guess, first run or second? http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/

I like to go the last week of July into August for the second run of Sockeye at the Russian. We get our limit almost everyday, last summer the Kenai was very high and we lost about 20-30 fish before we finally got our limit for the day. Watch out for the Bears, we were kicked out of our spots a couple of times because of them.
    Is this your first time to Alaska? If you need more help feel free to PM me for more information, I would be glad to help.

tight lines
    Scott

I get my reds starting around May 15th in Eyak river where it flows out of the lake at the weir. The 1st jumpers are usually seen around the 1st of may. Its the earliest sockeye run in south central that I know of

what kind of flys should I use????

what kind of fly should I use for russian river reds other than russian river fly?

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    what kind of fly should I use for russian river reds other than russian river fly?
    I just bought mine at the walmart in Anchorage.

I think it was 3 for a $1 but Im not sure.

From my personal experience, those did just fine.

There is a lot of regulations regarding type of legal fly to use on russian river; particularly the hook gap must be 3/8 inch or less. Wether sockeyes actually bite the fly is debatable... but sockeyes are generally caught by flossing, or snagging, them in the mouth. Only sockeyes caught in the mouth on the are legal to keep; can't be snagged anywhere else but the mouth. No weighted flies either. I have seen people use other flies; but i would just get the russian river flies avaiable at most tackle shops.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Don't buy the Chinese crap and Wal mart they come apart to easily. Get them at Kenia Cashe or Gwens , they are both next to each other on the left side right before you get to the Russian River. They have better hooks and hold up a lot longer then the Wal mart ones. They cost about .65 each I think but do you want to catch fish or lose them when you hook bends.

You get what you pay for!

alright thank you