Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska outdoor forums group float

Default Alaska outdoor forums group float

Is there going to be a group float this spring?

Default cool

Have forum members got together and done that before? If so where?
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Perhaps we should start planning our third annual. At least I only remember the 2 before. We did the Kenai from Kenai Lake to Jim's Landing two years ago, with quite a few folks showing for the day, and a few continuing on to Skilak Lake the next day. Last year we did the Matanuska from the glacier to King Mt Lodge, but only three boats/groups showed up. We had fun, but the turnout was disappointing.

I still like the Matanuska for this; easy to paddle but splashy enough to be interesting, and plenty of large camping areas to kick back on. But I suspect some decided not to come out for what was perceived to be a more difficult river. Actually, the Mat is a very easy stream to paddle in the early (low water) season. We took 2 days, but it can be done in one if we have people that want to do a shorter run. I'm up for the Kenai though, if more people come, and the option for 1 or 2 days is easy enough. Both of these are about 100 miles from Anchorage, but in opposite directions.

There are other options though. A Chulitna trip is easy enough, but takes 3-4 days, and we might want to do that later in the year.

Speaking of, I think we should do this a bit later than last year. Some mentioned they couldn't come because of school schedules. Perhaps early-mid June would work better than late May? Maybe even a 4th of July trip would work well.

Planning for this can be simple; if you want to come, show up with your stuff. There are a number of us that have extra boats, if someone wants a loaner. If we do the Kenai we may need a permit; I'm not sure how that works for a large group. Also waste removal might be an issue with a large group on the Kenai. Not so much of an issue in most other places.

Whatcha think?

Default Either Way

I think as long as MDA does not schedule something special the first week of June I should be able to attend. I plan on it every year then some nugget decide I think we need to have a no notice visit putting a fork in my plans. Nothing currently holding me back so as long is it is prior to the middle of June please for the tiem being count me in for juast about any river. I know I can come up with two others as well that need some splashy water stick time. I will bring a 15ft Otter so I can take one or two. Should also be able to bring an extra stick man and AIRE Cat.

Point and shoot eh!

I have a new raft coming in april that I will need some stick time on and a group get together sounds like fun.
    After the dates are set I will check to see if it works for me and my wife.

Thanks

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

That sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to get some more experience. I like the July 4th idea. Later Jon

Glad to hear this might happen again this year.
    I think the Mat is a great choice. The later timing makes my participation more possible. We open our lodge on 5/19 and it is tight on free time until well into June. Early July would be great. Hopefully there is still water to paddle that late(low snow pack ). Take care all, abel6wt

Default New floater

I'm new to rafting and would be down for a easy "safer" river! Nothing too extreme and something I could handle in a PAC 1200. I've done the Kenai a handful of times and I'm comfortable with that. Count me in if its a nice easy beginner float!

The Matanuska moves fast, and there are rocks & holes you want to steer around, but it's a pretty simple run at low to mid water levels. Since it's glacier fed it doesn't usually get to mid-high and above until the middle of July or later. You can easify the float by starting at Hicks Creek. That's about 90 minutes below the Glacier View launch.

KCK.org does their beginner's raft class on a lower section of the Mat.

Personally, I'm favoring the July 3-4 weekend. Sixmile Paddlefest is June 11, and I have other commitments the last two weeks in June.

Default Don't schedule around my time frames

What ever the group decides is the best works the best.

I have a FFF trip 12-18 June, T.U. trip 12-20 July and CO Fly Fishers 24-28 August.

4 July weekend is way to busy for me to leave town :-(

After the group settles on a date I will either toss in and or out eh.

No way we should wait til 4th of July; lets go for the Mat ASAP

Default Ill go

Last year was my first rafting year in Alaska. Spent every weekend on a parks stream, the kenai, and even did the Kink and the Mat. I did not do any overnights as the wife is new to the outdoor lifestyle. I would love the chance to do an overnight close to Anchorage with a group. It might be a little more appealing to the wife and 9yo grand daughter I am raising.

Count me in if the group does not mind a new family.

I've missed the last two trips the forum has put together due to classes. I would love to go this year if it was a little later in the year than the last trips. My brother is itching to get his new 14 foot cat out for her maiden voyage, too.

Default always seem to be busy but might i suggest?

how bout we do something a bit closer for the Fairbanks folks??? Reindeer Hills down to McKinely Village???

It's a bit closer to Fairbanks than Anchorage but not by much.... and nothing too challenging for anyone.

I'm about like Moose, always planning but someone always sticks a frog in my plans.

Default Semi New, but where

Hicks Creek / Glacier View Launch
    I have a National GEO TOPO map program and couldn't find either. Any hints on where to look, I would love to do something other than the upper Kenai, which is a great trip, but need to expand. Floated 5 times last year so not brand new, got to row part of the white water at denali park with some one else, woooohoooo.
    will watch for a date and see if I'm off work.

Glacier View is right below the Matanuska Glacier and Hicks Creek is a few (10 maybe) miles below that. Should be easy enough to find on a good map, although the access to both areas has changed greatly over the years. The Hicks Creek access changed last year, and may change again this year.

I am also willing to do a section of the upper Nenana to get this closer to Fairbanks folks. I've never done the section from the Denali Highway to McKinley Village but have been looking for an excuse. This changes the Anchorage drive from about 100 miles to over 200. I think the Nenana would feel more like wilderness though, and I like that. The Nenana has the possibility of extending the trip to do the white water canyon section for those who want.

Default Dates?

So is anyone prepared to propose some dates and get a poll going? I wanted to make last year's float, but couldn't make the dates work. I'd be willing to drive to the Nenana if that's what the majority rules, but it just depends on the dates.

Default Sounds Fun

Did this map from the glacier down a ways, for some reason i don't find hick trickle but easy to find I'm sure on the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hicks Creek is unnamed on that map, but is the stream coming where the Watertower Inn is named. The road through this section is a lot different than what your map shows. That's an old map. The road now goes right through where they are marking the Inn. And where the road is shown going between two hills just to the East of the Inn, the road now goes to the east of both of those hills.

I want to learn about rafting and float hunting in particular but I don't own a raft! I want to see several types of rafts and options so I can decide what I want to buy! Count me in and I will rent a raft for the weekend!
    Adison
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast