Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighted sight?

Default Lighted sight?

Before I go buy another sight, I have looked at the hunting regs pertaining to lighted sights on my bow. The sight I have uses a light that shines on the pins , (Aries sight with light) and I assume this is illegal in Alaska. Then since I am shopping, anybody have a must have favorite? I have plans for caribou this late July. I have just taken the IBEP class here and want to make sure I don't have any problems. Thanks, Mark

hha 5500 been using it for years one pin and nice and bright

Default HHA

Thanks, I like the looks of the one pin. Some of the sights look kind of crowded, especially with those with more than 3 or 4. Thanks

You are correct about the light. You can't just turn it off - it can't even be installed.

I'm a fan of Spot Hog Real Deals (Seven Deadly Pins basically same with more pins). I'm also using a TruGlo Micro Brite, has 5 pins of decreasing size, but all same color. I like it alot too.

Heck in july you'll have 20+ hours of daylight....no need for lighted sites....heck there's no need to even HAVE sites , thats for another topic lol.

Always heard good things about the Spott Hoggs, never shot one myself. Copper John Dead Nuts seems to be another popular multi-pin sight.

I've shot a Cobra Sidewinder XL for several years. While it is bright, it is not an ideal sight for the field in my opinion. The fiber optic threads are exposed on part of the sight and not very well protected. Thus, they are susceptible to snagging brush and breaking, even when you're careful. You can repair them in the field, but it's a pain!

Jeff

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the information. Will have to make a trip to the archery shop and appreciate the suggestions on the sights. Haven't been to Alaska in July/August time frame and really looking forward to it. Mark

Default lighted sights

lighted sights are only illegal if you are participating in an archery only hunt or area.....if you in an open area/season that allows you to take game with a fiream and you just want to use your bow you can use the lighted sights...but if you are using one that you cant turn off the light or change it then yeah that would be illegal.....i shoot a sight with only one pin and have for years...i'm not sure if i'd go back to the cluster of pins...probably not
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Caribou on the haul rd

Invited on a haul rd hunt for caribou. I am leaning for a sight with less pins or take some off. I am going to check the regs on the hunt area better but it won't break my heart to change sights. Not really liked the external light but it was in the bow package. Thanks

Default Bow sight light, legal or not?

Search?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=7754

From Daveinthebush (post #2):
    " You May Not use electronic devices or lights attached to the bow, arrow, or arrowhead with the exception of a non-illuminating camera or lighted knock on the end of the arrow."
    This statement is on page 16 Big Game Hunting Regulations as well as page 17 Restricted Weapons Hunts Regulations.

Good luck.

another must tip...plan on bugs like you've never seen before

Default Sight

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Search?
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=7754

From Daveinthebush (post #2):
    " You May Not use electronic devices or lights attached to the bow, arrow, or arrowhead with the exception of a non-illuminating camera or lighted knock on the end of the arrow."
    This statement is on page 16 Big Game Hunting Regulations as well as page 17 Restricted Weapons Hunts Regulations.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the link to the old post. I must be doing something wrong or wording things wrong when I try to do a search. I missed Dave's old post.

Default Bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    another must tip...plan on bugs like you've never seen before
    I was thinking that, having never been there in July/August. Head nets, Deet, Thermacell are all on my list. Thanks

Default artificial light

right i'm a retard....forgot about the whole fake light thing for a second...dont' listen to me ..but good luck on your hunt for the caribou
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Caribou

Thanks for the good wishes. I have hunted for caribou and moose before but both times with a gun. Just got the new bow about a year ago and got a buck with it last fall. Really looking forward to the hunt in July. Thanks for all the replies. Mark

Default incorrect

i took my archery class two years ago now and there was a fish and game employee that was teaching the class and this was a major topic of the class, you can use the little screw in lights that lighten up your pins, you cannot use artificial light to shine onto game or the area you are hunting, with that being said there have been people ticketed for this because people do not understand the meaning behind the rule. But you can go talk to the boys down at fish and game and the can explain it to you. This si not really anything different than using a red dot sight on a shot gun or little .22 for stupid chickens or rabbits. The little true glow thread in lights for your bow sight ARE legal to use. but as previously stated, int he land of the midnight sun you probably wont need it

Thumbs down Bad Advice

Quote Originally Posted by mudman1 View Post
    i took my archery class two years ago now and there was a fish and game employee that was teaching the class and this was a major topic of the class, you can use the little screw in lights that lighten up your pins, you cannot use artificial light to shine onto game or the area you are hunting, with that being said there have been people ticketed for this because people do not understand the meaning behind the rule. But you can go talk to the boys down at fish and game and the can explain it to you. This si not really anything different than using a red dot sight on a shot gun or little .22 for stupid chickens or rabbits. The little true glow thread in lights for your bow sight ARE legal to use. but as previously stated, int he land of the midnight sun you probably wont need it
    You can talk to fish and game all you want...they are not the ones citing you, AST fish and wildlife is...not fish and game. It's very simple...you cannot have a light device attached to your bow. A light on a sight is a light device whether it shines out toward an animal or on your pins.

I realize spirit of the law vs. letter of the law...got that part (trust me) but this is black and white. Don't get caught with a light on your sight or you could be cited...good luck in court because the statute is very clear.

NOT use electronic devices or light attached to the bow, arrow, or arrowhead with the exception of a non-illuminating camera.
    NOT use scopes or other devices attached to the bow or arrow for optical enhancement.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    You can talk to fish and game all you want...they are not the ones citing you, AST fish and wildlife is...not fish and game. It's very simple...you cannot have a light device attached to your bow. A light on a sight is a light device whether it shines out toward an animal or on your pins.

I realize spirit of the law vs. letter of the law...got that part (trust me) but this is black and white. Don't get caught with a light on your sight or you could be cited...good luck in court because the statute is very clear.

NOT use electronic devices or light attached to the bow, arrow, or arrowhead with the exception of a non-illuminating camera.
    NOT use scopes or other devices attached to the bow or arrow for optical enhancement.

i agree 100000% there are also some rumors running around the local bow shops that the BOG allowed the use of the sight lights this year..

I was at BOTH BOG meetings and do NOT recall this as an issue though cross bows were..

currently you may NOT have a lighted sight and i need to follow up on my paperwork to verify or not the local rumors.. but as of now

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default bs......

so for that matter you are saying you can not use an illuminock. AST does not make laws they are there to enforce them. Fish and game Sets the rules and standards through a long process. I will find the name of my instructor and get him involved so i can get you guys some more facts on this situation but this was a very heated discussion and when it was said and done, it was very cut and dry they cannot cite you for having an light mounted to the sight of your bow to light up the pins. i will continue to use the light on my bow.

Default Wrong Again

Quote Originally Posted by mudman1 View Post
    so for that matter you are saying you can not use an illuminock. AST does not make laws they are there to enforce them. Fish and game Sets the rules and standards through a long process. I will find the name of my instructor and get him involved so i can get you guys some more facts on this situation but this was a very heated discussion and when it was said and done, it was very cut and dry they cannot cite you for having an light mounted to the sight of your bow to light up the pins. i will continue to use the light on my bow.
    There IS an exception made for lighted nocks on the end of an arrow...it's right in the regs (page 20 middle of the page)....read the regs before you post.

You need to be careful about giving out advice to people on an open forum telling them it is ok to break the law...and admitting it yourself. The one thing you ARE right about....it is cut and dry. It says a LIGHT ATTACHED TO YOUR BOW. It does not say what kind of light. A LIGHT attached to your sight is a light attached to your bow.

Now, the BOG may have not meant to include lighted sights...and if not they need to clarify and change the regulation...but they said a light attached to your bow, so that is what we get. I would like to see the argument in front of the judge....try to convince them that a light on your sight is NOT a light on your bow.

Hunting with an artificial light (spot lighting for instance) is covered in a different section of the regs (page 18). That is why no one is agreeing with you here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast