View Poll Results: Do you like the new forum layout?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

4 10.00%
  • No.

25 62.50%
  • Don't care either way.

7 17.50%
  • I had no idea it changed!

4 10.00%

Thread: Poll on New Forum Layout

Default Poll on New Forum Layout

Some of you have already noticed that we have made some changes to the page layout in our forums. Essentially we standardized the pages to match the width of the banner photo at the top. Without going into the reasons for all this, perhaps it is good to ask you, our forum community, what you think about this. So here is a poll on it. Just let us know whether you like it, don't like it, or don't care either way. Feel free to post your reasons too; it helps us a lot as we move forward with these changes.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Im not a big fan because it seems like it scrunches everything up now. With having a wide screen monitor it leaves a lot of unused space.

Besides that, everything else is going super! I can just speak for myself but I use this forum for news, research, entertainment and to stay in contact with friends. I dont think Im alone so when even the slightest change happens it gets noticed. (kind of like when the wife decides to rearrange the smallest thing you use every day)

As far as blaming Brian M, I dont think anyone could blame him of anything but doing a superb job keeping things in line one here. That goes for the rest of the mods also. Great crew you have. I truly appreciate it!

Will

Unhappy

My page is way to narrow and my eyes old. Its to the point I don't enjoy being here. I like the pic and the green colors that was added awhile back but this hurts and its been a few days so its not something I feel I could get used to

Good layout, coloring, etc., but have to agree on the narrow field.

Mike,

I just think it's cool that you care whether people like it or not.

For me, I don't like it as much as the wider layout, but it's not terrible.

I was one who hated it when the background went green...Now I dont even notice as much.

One things for sure, everything is better now than the old forum in 2006!

This site has come a long way.

The narrow field is annoying. If the only benefit is to match the size of the banner, make the banner wider or flank it with other images.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I like it, it is the same as always on my 15 1/2" Lap top........

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Essentially we standardized the pages to match the width of the banner photo at the top.
    Is it possible to stretch the photo instead of shrinking the page?

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    The narrow field is annoying. If the only benefit is to match the size of the banner, make the banner wider or flank it with other images.
    That's a BAD idea.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    I just think it's cool that you care whether people like it or not.
    Me too. And I think it's totally cool how websites and other businesses even care what their visitors think at all. It's just totally cool.

Better forums equal better supporting membership.

Default Better on Laptops

I like it, is much better on my smaller laptops and on the big screen at the office the narrower isn't noticed.

I am amazed at the excellence you guys put into this Website/Forum all the way around and asking for our opinions is pretty cool also

Keep it up and Well Done from my angle

Default Ok, I'll bite!

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Me too. And I think it's totally cool how websites and other businesses even care what their visitors think at all. It's just totally cool.
    Well I'm glad you agree.

Another "cool" thing about this site is how people from outside Alaska get to come here and learn/talk about this great state for free.

Mike may have to correct me here, but the way I understand it, is this site is not a big money maker. The revenue from advertisers and the cost of operating is about a push. That said, it is a good thing that the owners of a free site try to cater to the viewers.

If you had been here back when this site was new, you would agree that the changes that have been made, many as a result of feedback from the users, are really "cool".

Troll on, you'll catch a big one soon.

Well I'm glad you agree.

Another "cool" thing about this site is how people from outside Alaska get to come here and learn/talk about this great state for free.

Mike may have to correct me here, but the way I understand it, is this site is not a big money maker. The revenue from advertisers and the cost of operating is about a push. That said, it is a good thing that the owners of a free site try to cater to the viewers.

If you had been here back when this site was new, you would agree that the changes that have been made, many as a result of feedback from the users, are really "cool".

Troll on, you'll catch a big one soon.
    All I meant to suggest is that our standards and expectations have gotten pretty low when we are impressed and thankful when a business appears to "care whether people like it['s stuff] or not." It's strange to me to thank a business (even in Alalska) for caring at all what actual and potential customers think. That should be the norm. If they're not making any money (which they deserve to do for creating a very informative site), I'd be surprised. It's a great site to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    All I meant to suggest is that our standards and expectations have gotten pretty low when we are impressed and thankful when a business appears to "care whether people like it['s stuff] or not." It's strange to me to thank a business (even in Alalska) for caring at all what actual and potential customers think. That should be the norm. If they're not making any money (which they deserve to do for creating a very informative site), I'd be surprised. It's a great site to be sure.

I agree, all I meant to suggest is " never look a gift horse in the mouth".

Whether this site makes a ton of money or not, it doesn't matter. Its free to me and I spend a lot of time here. I have learned things about the place where I was born and about things I thought I knew about, I have also been able to pitch in and help others. I have met many great people here and this is my avenue.

Not saying you were, but I have seen others here with a demanding customer attitude. It usually never gets you far around here.

I guess the fact you mocked the way I used the word "cool" rubbed me a little.

Good luck to you MarineHawk.

I run all wide screen monitors and it really does make for a lot of dead space on the screen

I think it makes worse an issue thats been bugging me already, the length of the test descriptions the commercial sponsers are posting in the cell on the left of the page which is causing them to use up so many lines of viewable space.

I like the sponser descriptions that are more classy and less descriptive, kind of like the snowmobile section headings, a simple logo and phone number, maybe one sentance of text describing their services. Then I can still viewseveral of the forums on a single view to see what new posts have been made, and decide which ones I want to open up and read through.

The sponser descriptions with a ton of text now take up almost a third of the viewable page in some cases. With this narrower field of view it makes it more noticable, and now I have to scroll many pages further to get past the lengthy descriptions filling up that single cell on the left.

While I support fully the mechants who financially support this site, I wonder how well this will work out in the end for the guys sponsering topics listed nearer the bottom of the list where you have to scroll down several pages to ever see their logo? I know if I were sponsering one of your threads nearer the bottom of the list, I'd be also jumping up and sponsering one of the top listed ones and post as much test as you'd allow so as to drive my competition to the bottom of the page and out of view to the first time visitors

I dont mind the narrower layout as much as I dont like no longer being able to see several forums and the resently posted topics within them all on one page without having to scroll down endlessly to get past the one or two forums with the lengthy text describing the sponsers.

Hope my observation doesnt offend. Thanks for asking. Thanks for providing such a great forum.

Chris

I agree, all I meant to suggest is " never look a gift horse in the mouth".

Whether this site makes a ton of money or not, it doesn't matter. Its free to me and I spend a lot of time here. I have learned things about the place where I was born and about things I thought I knew about, I have also been able to pitch in and help others. I have met many great people here and this is my avenue.

Not saying you were, but I have seen others here with a demanding customer attitude. It usually never gets you far around here.

I guess the fact you mocked the way I used the word "cool" rubbed me a little.

Good luck to you MarineHawk.
    Thanks. You too. Re-reading my post, I sounded like a ****. I should have said it differently or not at all.

The new narrow layout is terrible. The forum index is clustered with blocky sub-forum descriptions and there is too much unused space when using a modern computer monitor. It's almost as if I am using rabbit ears on a 50" high def plasma.

Another thing I noticed with the narrow layout is when someone posts a large picture, the thread widens for that one post and then goes back to the narrow size...kinda goofy