Thread: Fly in permits unit 23 Kotzebue

Default Fly in permits unit 23 Kotzebue

I have not hunted in 23 for 10 years plus. I was told there is a limited amount of fly in permits. Are hunters having a hard time getting in to this area. Can someone tell me if there are some new rules.

Thanks
    Kirk

There are two different flight restrictions in place for portions of Unit 23 that I'm aware of. The first is the Noatak Controlled Use Area which restrictions the use of aircraft for big game hunting from Aug 25 - Sept 15 along the Noatak River corridor from the river mouth upstream to Sapun Creek.

The second restriction applies to only air charters flying within the Noatak National Preserve. Starting this year, air charters are being limited on the number of clients they are authorized to drop off in the Preserve. I think if you are flying your own plane for private use this particular restriction does not apply.

However, if you want info on the Noatak National Preserve the park headquarters will be your best source. Phone: (907) 442-3890

I have always hunted on the upper Kelly River, and that portion of the Wrench Creek. I suppose this might be in the preserve. I heard this has all started do to the history of meat recovery and waste. This is a real shame.

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by kirkschopped67 View Post
    Wrench Creek.
    Great dolly fishing there in late Aug/Sept. The Kelly is in the Noatak Preserve. Call Hageland Aviation in Kotz and talk with Jared, who does the bush flights. Also, email Jim Kincaid at www.alaskaonyourown.com These two pilots live in Kotz full time and can give you the info you seek.

dolly...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

That is GREAT! Thank you very much. My son is now of age and he would like to hunt moose. I have also hunted the seliwik River with good success. It is just a little easier to bow hunt the moose in the Kelly area. I'am leaving for New Zealand on a do it your self Tahr hunt. Once I get back I will be of to POW to deer hunt. Let you know how it was

Thanks again

Kirk

I will be on POW for a week in early May myself. Shoot me a PM upon your return and we can exchange trip reports/pics.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.