Thread: Shop Local

Default Shop Local

Hi friends
    Just a reminder to shop locally. I know the internet can be a handy tool in learning about different products, once you've made up your mind, check local merchants. I'm sure the product is comparably priced plus you get it right then w/o waiting. Your identity remains secure from internet thieves, you can return the product if it isn't satisfactory. The most obvious reason is keeping our local economy vibrant. Encourage folks coming up that its just as easy to buy gear right here. It keeps local people employed.
    What happens when locals are employed? They're at work and not crowding your favorite fishing holes of course!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hi friends
    Just a reminder to shop locally. I know the internet can be a handy tool in learning about different products, once you've made up your mind, check local merchants. I'm sure the product is comparably priced plus you get it right then w/o waiting. Your identity remains secure from internet thieves, you can return the product if it isn't satisfactory. The most obvious reason is keeping our local economy vibrant. Encourage folks coming up that its just as easy to buy gear right here. It keeps local people employed.
    What happens when locals are employed? They're at work and not crowding your favorite fishing holes of course!
    Before visiting in 2008 I went to at least 20 different stores looking for lures, line etc. Bought almost all my gear before arriving.
    When I went to that hardware store in Soldotna, I realized that I had paid too much for my gear, and had the hassle of bringing it over too.
    A few of the guys on the board here had warned me.
    I was too stubborn and was worried I would be stuck without the proper gear.
    I was sooo wrong.

Shop local. I will as soon as someone opens a fly shop in Fairbanks. Otherwise, I have to shop where I can.

Default Good Policy

As a general rule, if a local vendor has the item and it is priced within 10% of the "offshore vendors" price, freight included I buy local. Like many of you, I appreciate the value of local vendors and will pay a 10% premium to support local vendors and even more if it is made in the USA.

It's not perfect, what is. But the pool of vendors in Alaska is remarkable. When was the last time you discovered a retailer like B&J's, Trusty's, Mcaffey's, Alaska Flyfishing, Kenai Cache, the long list of local gun shops and boat sales outlets, or, even stores like AIH, Fire and Fastner, and Alaska Rubber....to name just a few.

It's a good idea.

Unhappy local fly shop

Quote Originally Posted by bstacy1974 View Post
    Shop local. I will as soon as someone opens a fly shop in Fairbanks. Otherwise, I have to shop where I can.
    What happened to the fly shop on university? I noticed they where not there any more but thought maybe they just moved.
    Last edited by lynch; 03-26-2010 at 12:23. Reason: spelling
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

I always shop locally and even more so at those "local" shops that are Alaskan owned keeping "all" that money in Alaska. NOT all the shops listed by Pontiac-chef-51 are Alaskan owned but at least they all employ Alaskans.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    What happened to the fly shop on university? I noticed they where not there any more but thought maybe they just moved.
    Sportsman's wharehouse, and the internet
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I try my best to buy my stuff locally, I'm too impatient to wait for the item to get shipped up to me haha.

Has anyone been to BJs lately? I don't know a lot about stores here in anchorage (I only really know about BJs and alaskaflyfishinggoods.com) but I cant seem to find one that has the Okuma Helios 8/9 and a TFO 9wt rod. Yeah I probly could get it at sportsman warehouse but I rather get it from a local store as opposed to a chain if i can.

anyone know where I can find it before I resort to online or a chain store?
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Default Best Price

I look at the local stores in Fairbanks and Valdez first but many times the prices are not good. I shop B&J's in Anchorage by phone shippings is not that bad. EBay has some of the best prices if you like bidding or buying direct. Several years back I purchased a Penn International 50W for $300 new off of EBAY and the seller was from Anchorage. Sinkers I have shipped in cost me $1.88 a pound including shipping. Last week I was in Fairbanks Fred Myers and gulp jig tailes where $3.95 for two sportsmans ware house was $6.95 same item. If you go to Valdez this year I do not know if the Hook Line and sinker or Longs Marine will be open. Renyolds went broke last year. The Prospector has some gear but the are slow at stocking the store.

It's enlightening to read how pro-local people can be. I hope that this same concpet applies when folks come to Yakutat. I see alot of people bringing their own booze, food, sleeping in a tent on the bank of the river, not renting cars, etc.... basically bringing nothing to our economy. It is very unfortunate. I realize the prices are higher than other places in the world, but none the less I know merchants and businesses here appreciate the business. I try to keep my money as local as I can. I earn it here and spend it here raising my family. I agree we all need to contribute.
    Great Post!

Default Call TFO direct

Alaskaiscold,

I cant seem to find one that has the Okuma Helios 8/9 and a TFO 9wt rod. Yeah I probly could get it at sportsman warehouse but I rather get it from a local store as opposed to a chain if i can.

anyone know where I can find it before I resort to online or a chain store?
    I just met with Jake Jordon last weekend and TFO is going gang busters. I'd call them direct if you can't find the rod after calling around locally and not finding what you want. I'm all for supporting local business (providing they return the love and don't screw us in pricing) but if they can't compete in price or have the product a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do.

BJs is NOT locally owned for the record and currently owned by outside investors and we know the gig behind big box stores like Wal-Mart or Sportsman's Warehouse. Have you tried Mt. View Sports, World Wide Anglers or 3-Rivers Fly Tackle in Wasilla?

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

If you guys are looking for anything lead, at a reasonable cost and is local, let me know. I currently have a few molds for making weights, sinkers and jigs and am always looking for reasons to get more molds! You have something specific in mind and I can probably find a mold to make it!
    Good fishing! Pete