Thread: Shot size

Default Shot size

What shot size and hi or low brass for Ptarmigan in 12ga. ?

Also same question for bunnies. Moving up next year want to
    stock up on the right shells.

Default Versatile is best

I like high brass 7 1/2 shot. Its good for ptarmigan, rabbits and spruce hens. Lots of pellets and a big patters with an IC or Mod choke make for forgiving shots on fast opportunities.

It was my grouse load in MI and this fall it has worked quite well on the Kenai.

You'll get a lot of opinions on this, but my personal experience using a 12 gauge on grouse and ptarmies is that even with the lightest loads it's almost overkill. Shots tend to be pretty close range with those birds, so low brass only with a light load is plenty. Use a fairly open choke too. If the birds are any closer than 15 yards, either don't fire or aim high or you will render it inedible. (Been there. )

I bought a 20 gauge specifically for upland birds.

For bunnies, you can use some heavier loads. They are a bit tougher and shots tend to be farther, especially in areas with a lot of hunting pressure.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I like 6 shot for both and field loads (I think, I get field and game loads mixed up all the time) which are higher brass. I've found on flying grouse I don't get good penetration with smaller shot. I don't take shots at birds that are too close, I usually let them get out there a bit before pulling the trigger. With the rabbits I'm usually hunting in heavy cover so I really like the bigger shot.

I also use pheasant loads size 5 or 6

I currently use a low brass #6 for birds, but have been feeling it's a little bit much and will switch to 7 1/2's when I'm done with this box. I guess that will be next August...last hunt of the ptarmigan season was this morning for me.

usually 7 1/2 is sufficient even in the lighter gauges...I use 7 1/2 in the 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauge for birds.
    It is good to pattern your gun/choke for the best match. They all shoot a little different.

If they are exceptionally flighty or it is a windy day and these two go hand in hand because my experience is that birds are more jumpy on windy days. I will put #7 1/2 in the first barrel and #6 in the second barrel in case I need the second shot to carry out a little better.

Agree with Burke on each of the gauges. Only things I could add are how low brass and high brass pretty much don't mean anything any longer. Read the stuff on the box as to velocity and such. I'd also add something about shot load/weight. I really don't see the need for anything more than one ounce of shot. I like to use good quality hard shot, but don't need anything more than one ounce even in a 12. And I guess I would end with my opinion that one does not need a really fast (high velocity) load either. 1200 fps give or take is just fine. But these are just my opinions, your "mielage" may vary.

Jim

I've been shooting rabbits with number 4 steel. It works great in the heavy alder thickets that I hunt in. Since I rabbit hunt in the same areas I duck hunt I feel a certain urge to use steel.

Default Thanks

all for the replies. What everyone mentioned is the lines I was thinking
    along. Will get some low brass 71/2 for the birds and high brass 6 for
    bunnies. Really intend to switch to 22lr for bunnies after I learn how to hunt them. 500 22lr $20 250 shot shells $110 a case. Low brass $65 a case.