Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Byers Creek

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    117

    Default Byers Creek

    I havent fished byers creek in years, and from what i understand the fish go to the lake for the winter (instead of the river). Does anyone know a good time to do some spring trout fishing up there??? Any info would be great. Thanks

  2. #2
    Member BlueMoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rifle River MI
    Posts
    1,835

    Default Check the Regs

    So to answer your question in two ways depends on the snow levels and check the regs. No Spring fishing for bows on Byers. So to actaully provide the correct answer June 15th.

    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/dept_publications.php

    Rainbow/steelhead trout:

    –in flowing waters. . . . . . . . . . . . .June 15–April 14. . . . . 2 per day/2 in possession
    only 1 (one) fish 20” or longer

    April 15–June 14. . . . . . . . . . . . NO RETENTION

  3. #3
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    when the food moves the predators move
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  4. #4

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    So to answer your question in two ways depends on the snow levels and check the regs. No Spring fishing for bows on Byers. So to actaully provide the correct answer June 15th.

    http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/dept_publications.php

    Rainbow/steelhead trout:

    –in flowing waters. . . . . . . . . . . . .June 15–April 14. . . . . 2 per day/2 in possession
    only 1 (one) fish 20” or longer

    April 15–June 14. . . . . . . . . . . . NO RETENTION
    BM,
    I can't find the relevance of the link you provided to the question. ???
    I have found Byers to be one of the few streams/creeks along the Parks that is not prone to problematic breakup conditions. The lake in close proximity seems to keep it clean even though a bit higher than ususal. I am not a Catch and Release fisherman, but if one was, it seems that they would do alright, as soon as the ice goes out. I have fished it really early, but only for Grayling down where it dumps into the river.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    117

    Default

    thats what i was thinking........ retention does not mean NO FISHING, it means no keeping, big difference. Either way, Im going to spend some time up there this year

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •