Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shotgun choke locked in tight....can't seem to remove it....any ideas?

Default shotgun choke locked in tight....can't seem to remove it....any ideas?

so as titled......I have a full choke that is locked so tight in the end of the barrel.......you'd think it was welded in place.

I bought an impact wrench (18 volt) and made a custom socket by cutting off the handle (what was left) of the chocke wrench and attaching it to a socket......no luck.

I let this choke soak in gun oil for about four weeks and still......no luck

actually, I broke the dmn handle off by trying to leverage it with a small piece of pipe. This choke is in there!

so....i've spent an equal amount of money on an impact wrench when I could have just kept this as a spare barrel for the same price......pretty smart huh?

I had this happen on an old mossberg shotgun. I took the barrel off, filled a small glass cup full of Aero-oil, used to get it from a buddy that worked at boeing. Its an oragnge colored can, you may get it at AIH. Sat for a few day in it and wiped it down and put it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 250. Came right out after that.

I lube my chokes every time before and after a waterfowl hunt now due to salt conditions, never any problems.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Yep, I would try heat. Use a blow dryer and heat it up and then try again.

Good Luck.

Steve

Yes to the oven, stick the barrel in at 250 to 300f and stick the wrench in the freezer, both for half an hour or so, the cold wrench will suck heat from the choke and shrink it away from the barrel some. You need lots of even heat that won’t get too hot, hear dryer will have a hard time getting it hot enough or evenly hot where an oven is perfect. Heat below about 450f won’t harm temper at all, just let it air cool when you’re done and don’t burn yourself on the hot pipe.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default I will not let this choke defeat me!

will definitely try this heat method. funny........I used this method to tap a bearing onto the drive shaft of my polaris widetrak. I was able to get the choke to turn about an eighth turn with the impact wrench. So.....I sat there driving it back tight and then trying to bring it back out. Every time....it would come out about an eighth turn.

If it is moving you got it licked. Keep working it back and forth and work some penetrating oil into it, like Kroil or similar.

Steve

Default Mainer

Had a rem 1187 do the same thing - soaked it for a week in penetrating oil in a can submerged and still had to put some muscle to it. Ruined the choke.
    Used a small torch to heat - be careful as the oil will burn - oven could do the same...
    Put a brass cleaning brush on a very low speed drill when you get it out to clean the threads - if your lucky they won't be damaged from rust.
    Good Luck!

I've used Aero Kroil with very good results to free all kinds of locked up stuff. I'd also try heating in the oven- its amazing what a 100 degree temperature change can do to close tolerances in fine threads. If you've got it moving a bit you can likely work the oil in and get it loose.

Hoping your choke tube isn't trashed as well as the threads on the barrel.

I bought an impact wrench (18 volt) and made a custom socket by cutting off the handle (what was left) of the chocke wrench and attaching it to a socket......no luck.
    Hopefully you didnt gall the threads Power tools are not a good thing in cases like this. Definitely Aero Kroil and even heating and like was mentioned put the wrench in the freezer to draw the heat from the choke tube.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

ok folks,

the barrel is sitting in the oven @ 250 f.

the custom choke reomoval/impact wrench adapted bit is sitting in the freezah

Plan B:

If this choke defeats me, I'll just cut this barrel down to 18.5" and use it as a bear protection barrel

Then......buy new barrel for around a $100 which overall.....was cheaper than the 18v impact wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Power tools are not a good thing in cases like this.
    You could be correct with a thin choke tube but an impact gun is far less likely to twist off a stuck bolt than hand tools. The reason is hand tools are brute force but an impact gun is thousands of smaller taps or impacts all the sudden sending little shock waves through the part. The impact gun puts the force where it's needed without the slow twisting build up of force. Ever try to remove a crankshaft snout bolt with hand tools only to find the motor turns over before you get up enough force then stick a gun on there and zip it right off like nothing with no motor turning?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I just had the same problem. Get a choke tube wrench that you can attach a 3/8 drive socket wrench into the back. I'll get it out. Then make sure you put patroleum jelly around the threads before you put them in next time.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    I just had the same problem. Get a choke tube wrench that you can attach a 3/8 drive socket wrench into the back. I'll get it out. Then make sure you put patroleum jelly around the threads before you put them in next time.
    He did that and broke the tube wrench before it moved.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You could do like us old farts with fixed choke guns do and just use different size shot and loads for the different game.If its mod. or ImpMod it perfect

So if you're already reserved to buying a new barrel anyway, why mess up this one that is a "fixed" full choke? Just leave it be and call it a full choke barrel.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    the barrel is sitting in the oven @ 250 f.

the custom choke reomoval/impact wrench adapted bit is sitting in the freezah
    So how'd it go?

hap

Even, slow heat (ovens) are exactly the wrong tack here. I have removed more than a lot of very stuck tubes.

Get the barrel hot and put the stuck tube in penetrating oil (Kroil is what I use) for a while. If it stays stuck, put the barrel in the freezer for a while and cold-soak it.

Remove the barrel from the freezer and immediately put the wrench in place and apply lots of heat to the outside of the barrel, right where you figure the threads are (it varies). Keep the heat moving around the barrel as much as possible and gently tap the tube out. A small hammer handle will keep the taps gentle and still back the tube out.

If they have not been tweaked before hand they back right out in no time. Apply lubricant ASAP while backing out. If it stays "gritty" the whole way out it is probably shot.

The worst time I had with a barrel took a couple cold soakings with heat...
    art

Default I don't want to talk about it......

the choke tube won

oh wait....ahhh yes....brute force

a 3/8" breaker bar attached to the choke wrench. it's squeeling like a pig with each turn....but i think I've got it.

how embarassing.......brute force.....not good

choke was coming out but uhh yeah............the entire gun is twisted....it looks like something off of looney toons or some sht.

fkng great!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast