Thread: Marlin Plant Closing

Default Marlin Plant Closing

Found this on Paco Kelley's site Leverguns.com

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/busines...firearms-plant

Sounds like a consolidation of production capacity but may be more to it. Time will tell.
    Afflicted by condition human

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    Found this on Paco Kelley's site Leverguns.com

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/busines...firearms-plant

Sounds like a consolidation of production capacity but may be more to it. Time will tell.
    That's what happens when Remington owns yah! Sad stuff....just sad stuff. They used to be a solid new england arms manufacturer with a good quality bunch of folks. I wonder what else is going on....what other details will arise.

H&R has also moved to the Remington plant.

Isn't Remington owned by some g-d hedge fund? Black Rock or something?

Nope, Cerebrus:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...in-bushmaster/

Good solid companies whose workers are now going to be cannon fodder for Wall Street. And we'll lose more gun companies....

I hope Thompson/Center survives their acquisition by S&W. It is a great company that employs good folks in a small town in New Hampshire, at least for now.

Its just business. You are company X acquiring comany Y and you can get more return on your investment by moving the company, so be it...

I know change sucks, but its inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Its just business. You are company X acquiring comany Y and you can get more return on your investment by moving the company, so be it...
    Then next thing we know nothing is made in the US any more, there are no jobs, soon no one can afford to buy Marlin products, company X liquidates the assets. It’s not change or profit that’s bad, it’s the uneven playing field that forces hundred year old businesses to move because they can’t otherwise compete with all the slave like labor in the third world.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Then next thing we know nothing is made in the US any more, there are no jobs, soon no one can afford to buy Marlin products, company X liquidates the assets. Itís not change or profit thatís bad, itís the uneven playing field that forces hundred year old businesses to move because they canít otherwise compete with all the slave like labor in the third world.
    Yup, its lose-lose...but if you're in the rifle-making business, you're likely trying to turn a profit (and the largest one at that)...

I hear ya, Andy...its definitely a catch-22...

Wow. After 140 years! Is nothing sacred any more? Shocking.

Looks like my new 1895SBL will turn out to be one of the last authentically made Marlin lever guns.

Yeah, it's sad. My Uncle worked at that plant for decades, before he finally retired several years ago. I remember as a kid, he would bring me defective stocks that came off the line for me to have fun with. Ahh, the good old days.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Isn't Remington owned by some g-d hedge fund? Black Rock or something?

Nope, Cerebrus:

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...in-bushmaster/

Good solid companies whose workers are now going to be cannon fodder for Wall Street. And we'll lose more gun companies....

I hope Thompson/Center survives their acquisition by S&W. It is a great company that employs good folks in a small town in New Hampshire, at least for now.
    Thanks for that link, just went through and read that article.

Wow, that's some scary stuff. Yea, I could easily see Cerebus shutting down one or more of those gunmakers in order to bail out one of their bad investments like Chrysler. To the pencil pushers, one of those companies is simply a line-item on a balance sheet; ripe for the picking if cash gets short on some fat-cat's next earnings statement. To us though it might be 100+ years of tradition, not to mention all of the jobs, and the decades of experience and craftsmanship that stand to be lost in the stroke of a pen...

Sickening!

Default Sucks!

This is no good, it sure doesn't bode well For many smaller US-owned and operated manufacturers. I wish Remington had figured out a way to keep that plant open, they've got to be making enough money, it is sad to see another historic US Firearms manufacturer close their plant doors. I feel for the employees and their families, I never would have predicted this one.
    -J

Cool

Cheaper labor and Cheaper Taxes in NC

after that China.........

at least they are still in US

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    This is no good, it sure doesn't bode well For many smaller US-owned and operated manufacturers. I wish Remington had figured out a way to keep that plant open, they've got to be making enough money, it is sad to see another historic US Firearms manufacturer close their plant doors. I feel for the employees and their families, I never would have predicted this one.
    -J
    Who predicted Winchester would be swallowed by FN and the plant closed or that your Levies 501s would be imported from the third world? I predict we will see much more of this and we are in a very bad way as a country indeed with little way out because of the loss of jobs.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Well for one the union is responsible for the demise of the Winchester plant in New Haven... They didn't want to budge... Heck South Carolina winchesters are better. Oh and NO unions thier either. We all sit around cry the blues boo hoo the demise of a plant but sincce it is up north probably union workers... Move the production to another state with no unions! Cut the cost and still get a quality product... Remington also bought Dakota arms awhile back I didn't see any of you crying the blues about the big green giant buying them.

I'd rather see them produce in another state than go away entirely.

As long as folks will keep buying the cheap wallmart china produced products we will keep losing American made.H&R cut into Remington's cheap foreign singles to much for the market to handle both so now Remington gets to choose