Thread: 270 WSM Range Report.

Default 270 WSM Range Report.

Took advantage of the break in the winds and headed out to the range to develop some black bear loads for the wife's new Winchester Model 70 in 270WSM.

My first try was with Swift 150g A-frames and IMR 4831, loads 4 and 5 will be tried again.

My next try was with ReLoader 22 and Swift 150g A-frames, going to try loads 3,5,7, and 8. Was pleased with the way this combo shot, recoiled, and grouped. Will load up 5 rounds of each and shoot for groups next. This will most likely be the black bear round I'm looking for.

Also shot a round with some Reloader 22 and Barnes 140g TSXs.

Default Lots of info there

Thanks for posting this Stid,

I was thinking of asking you to do something like this on the 270wsm, after looking at your 325wsm range results, Wish I could hang out with you sometime to ask questions like why RL22 vs RL19 etc. Sooo much to learn on my end... you live in N Pole !?! and these other exp guys are Fbks or the Valley something !?!

Having fun though, I'll be watching for your continueing this thread as you dial it in more.

Posting your results is bigtime helpful, just to learn how you are working up loads

Enjoy the Sunshine up there

Also learned that my chamber on my Winchester 270WSM is .003 shorter than SAMI specs.
    I discovered this by measuring my fired brass. Since I had never loaded for this rifle I sized my brass to fit into the chamber. I noticed that even at the SAMI spec I was getting a little tightness closing the bolt. I sized down to .001 shorter and shot them, they actually fire formed shorter than they were before firing. I now know that I need to size them down a little more this time time around. This caused some stiffness in the bolt even at low ranges of powder.

Will post an update once I get a chance to get back to the range.

Steve

stid,

FWIW, my load for my 270wsm, RL22, and 140tsx is a few more rungs up the ladder from your highest charge. With a 24" bbl, I get 3240 and great accuracy.

Good shooting.

Default sized down?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Also learned that my chamber on my Winchester 270WSM is .003 shorter than SAMI specs.
    I discovered this by measuring my fired brass. Since I had never loaded for this rifle I sized my brass to fit into the chamber. I noticed that even at the SAMI spec I was getting a little tightness closing the bolt. I sized down to .001 shorter and shot them, they actually fire formed shorter than they were before firing. I now know that I need to size them down a little more this time time around. This caused some stiffness in the bolt even at low ranges of powder.

Will post an update once I get a chance to get back to the range.

Steve
    Steve I notice the mention of "sized down to .001 shorter" and don't understand, do you mean "trimmed them down shorter" or "Seated down to .001 shorter" or how do you size them down shorter?

another similar question are you full length sizing for your wsm?

also in choosing which to load again you are going for the best grouping right or some combination of group and velocity achieved?

When I say I sized them shorter, I mean that I used the die to compress the brass more, making them shorter when measured from the shoulder to the based. Also called pushing the shoulder back.

For me I have found the FL resizing works best, I use mine for hunting and I will give up some accuracy to achieve reliable cycling. Plus I tried neck sizing and found little difference in accuracy between neck sizing and full length.

I use this approach to develop loads. I determine what bullet I want to use, then I see what powders will work with it. If you look at the photos in this thread you will see that I had 2 options for powder for my selected bullet. I load up some rounds starting at the min recommended charge and work up in either half or full grain increments to max. I fire each round, walk down and number it. I aim at the same place every time. I shoot until I either run out or I start to see pressure signs. After I fire all rounds you can see a pattern form. Using the two examples, you can see that I had much tighter patterns with Reloader 22 then I did with IMR 4831. Based on the data I gathered from this test shot, I will try to further develop my 150g A-frame load. So using my R-22 data as a reference, I loaded 5 each of 60g, 61g, 62g, and 62.5g of R-22. I will head back out and fire these to check for groups and accuracy.

Clear as mud now??? Hope I answered your questions.

Steve

Default clearer than mud

Nope, Very Clear and great method for me I'll be out trying that today

More on Sizing down, I don't really see that unless you are screwing the FL sizer die down further, the way I understand it there is only "screw down to touching ram then back ram down and go a 1/4 turn further down for FL sizing."
    then have read about backing it back up to "Neck size with a FL sizing die" which is maybe what you are doing first then deciding to "size it down further" essentially pushing the shoulder back some by screwing the die down further leaving no gap between ram and die, or even adding that 1/4 turn to "cam over" on the die to absolutely Full Length Size?

I'm going to play around a bit more with the neck sizing but by my "issues" thread I think it may be best to just FL size all the time with the wsm

Thanks for your help

PS your rice bag on the caliper seems to have worked!

Curious why do you shoot for velocity first then shoot for grouping later? Again just curious, I have always shot for groups first, then once I found a load that grouped well then shoot to see the velocity..

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Curious why do you shoot for velocity first then shoot for grouping later? Again just curious, I have always shot for groups first, then once I found a load that grouped well then shoot to see the velocity..
    I'm actually looking for groups to emerge while also determining if my chosen powder/bullet combo will reach the velocity I'm after before showing signs of high pressure. If you refer to the first 2 photos in this thread you will see that my first powder choice was IMR 4831, looking at the photo you will see that the velocity was in the range but this combo did not seem to group well. Now look at the second photo, using the same Swift 150g A-Frame only this time using ReLoader 22. You will notice that this combo shared several rounds with the same POI even with different powder charges. I was also able to reach my desired velocity, so now I have loaded 2 groups of 3 each in 60g, 61, 62 and 62.5. My next trip I will shoot these and see how they group.

Lots of way to do the same thing, this is just what works for me.

Good Luck

Steve

Got a chance today to fire some 3 round groups based on the work-up in the first photo.
    I loaded 3 with 63g, 64.5, 65g of ReLoader 22 and Barnes 140g TSXs.
    The second group with 64.5g proved to be the most accurate, sub MOA and Velocity at 3227

I'm happy with this load 64.5g of Reloader 22 and 140g TSX.

Steve

My next attempt did not work out as good as the first. I loaded up some 3 round test groups based on the first photo.

I loaded to the high side. The A-frame did not like the high velocity and my groups were over an inch. Going to slow them down and try again.

That's reloading, will try again with 60g

That load is smoking! Any signs of excess pressure? What are you using for primers? I am working on the same caliber, same rifle. Today using 140 grain Ballastic Tips and 60 grains of RL 22 and Remington 9 1/2 primers shot two - three shot groups that actually measured under .5! Cratering was noticed on the primers but they were not flattened and extraction was easy so am confident the load can be increased some. Took me awhile but finally realized this rifle likes to be benched with minimum shooter contact.
    I don't plan on using the Ballastic Tips for hunting up here but they will serve as a good base for working up a load and then reducing a grain or so and switching over to Partitions and seeing what happens.
    Also tried some H1000 which was very accurate but don't think it will be fast enough to generate good velocities.
    Tennessee

I was using CCI250 Magnum Rifle primers. Both loads were pushing max in my rifle. Bolt was a little sticky but the primers looked good. The 140 TSX load was good at 64.5g but a little sticky at 65g.

I might try a workup using Magpro to push the A-frames.

Good Luck

Steve

Got back out to the range yesterday and worked on some loads.

Fired my 140g TSX and 64.5g of R-22, 3 rounds fired measured at .3 of an inch and clocked out at 3189. This load with a 200 yard zero gives me a point blank range of 291 yards, -5.73 inches of drop at 300, -16.69 at 400, and -33.75 at 500.

I think I'm done with this one, just want to do some long range shooting to see how it does at distance.

My next load combo did not shoot as well, but seems to be as good as I can get with this bullet, powder, seating combo. I tried these at higher levels and the groups got bigger. This will be used as a Black Bear load for the wife and we will not be shooting over 200 yards. At these velocities the recoil was quite manageable. I wish I could have gotten them to group a little tighter, might try to seat them deeper and fire a few groups.
    What do you guys think, would you hunt this load or work it more????

Steve

I have been working with the 270WSM quite a bit also. Only I am using IMR7828SSC and RL22 with the 150gr Partitions. So far I have found that 64gr of RL22 gets me in to the 3075 range and 63.5 of IMR 7828 is the same speed. Groups are very good so far at 2.860COAL. I am also CCI250 primers, and WW Nickel cases. My deer load is 66gr's of RL22 with the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Here is a target of my IMR7828 and RL22 groups. Overall, I am pretty happy, and with a 3" high zero at 100, I am dead on at 300 yards and about 9-10" low at 400. I built two loads with the Partition and BT so I can practice at range with the BT and hunt bigger stuff with Partition.

150gr Nosler Partitions

150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips

My group with 63.5gr of IMR 7828 was a hair tighter than the RL22, but that could have very well been me. The good thing is out to 400, the Ballistic Tips are shooting to the same POI as the Partitions, so it should be easy enough for a quick re zeroing if necessary. Scotty