Thread: September Halibut/Salmon Fishing

Default September Halibut/Salmon Fishing

HELLO, Does anyone know a good place to go for fishing? Looking for charter boat would like to try for some Halibut/Salmon. I am coming up in September for Caribou hunting and would like to get some fishing in after my hunt. Thanks Jim

Default Where??

What part of the state do you plan to Carribou hunt in? That will depend on where the recommendation will take you. Valdez Fish Central will be able to get you on Halibut easy, and Silver if your not to late in September. Other wise I believe most of the Salmon Chasing in the kenai peninsula is done, You may be able to get a Halibut Charter out of Homer, Soldatna, Whittier. PM me if you are looking for particulars.

350SD

The Kenai Peninsula is not done in September by any means. Silver Salmon fishing is still going strong in the middle or lower Kenai River and the rainbow season in the same area is just getting cranked up at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    The Kenai Peninsula is not done in September by any means. Silver Salmon fishing is still going strong in the middle or lower Kenai River and the rainbow season in the same area is just getting cranked up at that time.
    Exactly. Some of the best fishing of the year on the Kenai happens in September.

I have caught some nice silvers on the Kenai in September from the bank. From a lot of the reports last year there were a lot of seals in the river causing the silvers to have lockjaw. But the Kenai would be a good bet in September from my perspective.

Yakutat is still fishing in Sept. the later you come the more the fish are picked over, and moving out deep. As long as the ocean is safe it's a good place to go. By mid Sept. the silvers are more sparse and are in the rivers here. Which is nice, you will be in a world class fishery either way! Shop around and do your homework, cast and blast sounds fun! For more info PM me.

A good portion of Alaska is still fishing for silvers in Sept. What Captain K said, about the longer into Sept you wait, the more sparse they will be, is a good general rule of thumb for many drainages across AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    the longer into Sept you wait, the more sparse they will be, is a good general rule of thumb for many drainages
    Except for the Kenai River. The lower river can offer great silver fishing through September, and on into October. As aldridge88 said, you might be competing with seals, but it still is good fishing.