Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First of many to come!

Default First of many to come!

Here is my first ever tied wool head sculpin. Critisizm is welcome, enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fishing 044.jpg  
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Slimy sculpin that are in Alaska rivers are olive from what little I know. Not criticism, just something you may want to research before tying up a bunch. Doubt big trout would care, but most fly tiers would. Thanks for sharing the picture. Congrats on the centerpin rig, read it in the other thread. I am sure you will enjoy it.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Sculpin in Alaska are everywhere from black to light olive. Probably some cream colored ones too... There are tons of variations in sculpin colors.

Nice tie. No criticisms needed.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    Sculpin in Alaska are everywhere from black to light olive. Probably some cream colored ones too... There are tons of variations in sculpin colors.
    Ditto that... colors can vary significantly. On top of that, the males also turn very dark/black during the spawning season (spring). That'll be a great fly to throw in another month! Or this weekend.

One thought... I can't see how you're pattern is put together, but be mindful of using lead/brass dumbbell eyes and whether you tie them on the top/bottom of the hook. I got in the zone one night and tied up a half dozen wool-head sculpins. I don't know what I was thinking (or more specifically - I wasn't!) but when I reevaluated the pattern, I had a sneaking suspcision the weight of the eyes was going to flip the fly over. Sure enough, when tested in the bathtub later that night, I had a half-dozen sculpin that swam upside down.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I'll take 500.Get to work,need them soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGrayling View Post
    Thanks man. After reading this I got online and found info supportive of that statement. I have not researched/fished slimy sculpin much, but did get a few dozen tied up for big dollies in NW Alaska year before last on a float trip. All my research then led me to olive or olive/brown patterns. Reading up just now, I read where during mating season the male slimy sculpin does in fact turn black. Interesting, thanks for sharing. More can be found below for anyone as bored as I am today

"The back and sides are a mottled dark brown to gray or sometimes green with some light banding on the upper body. The lower body is lighter occasionally with an orange tint on the underside. The caudal, anal and rear dorsal fins are lightly barred. The slimy sculpin blends in well with its surroundings, making it difficult to spot at first glance. During the breeding season, males turn a blackish color."

From...

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...imysculpin.php

For anyone that doesn't tie their own flies (like me), some great sculpin patterns can be ordered online from the good folks at Alaska Fly Fishing Goods....

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...-products.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If I was a fish Id eat that sucker. Good looking tie
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Nice

Nice tie man, if we get together this weekend you can show me how to tie a few up.

That looks pretty awesome, that one and variations of it could be deadly.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

thanks to all who commented, its a very sim, 15 wraps of copper wire, tail is black bunny, body is black rabbit hair palmered forward, fins are pheasant body blue/black colored feathers, head is acctually black yarn and eyes are just stick on.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

They come in a lot of different colors and all in the same water. Here are some photo's I took a few years ago in a Western Alaska stream.

"The Tug is the Drug"

Dam man!! That is great. I appreciate that for sure. Never seen a pic from Alaska of one in the actual stream. Very nice to see. Thanks for sharing that with us.

-Dan

The fish blend in with their environment. Notice how the sculpins are nearly the exact same color as the stream bed. The same goes for streams with green algae, which makes olive sculpins. Find black algae and you will find black sculpins.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Slimy sculpin that are in Alaska rivers are olive from what little I know. Not criticism, just something you may want to research before tying up a bunch. Doubt big trout would care, but most fly tiers would. Thanks for sharing the picture. Congrats on the centerpin rig, read it in the other thread. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Dan
    I more than certain that is not a slimey sculpin... The hard vertical nose shape and larger pectoral fins scream coastrange sculpin, which is probably more common than the slimey. Same in the pictures after yours.

Dead give away are the first two spines in the second dorsal fin, which are spaced farther apart in the slimey. (relative to the other spines in the dorsal fin)
    art

hap

Quote Originally Posted by akgloomis View Post
    They come in a lot of different colors and all in the same water. Here are some photo's I took a few years ago in a Western Alaska stream.

Mike
    I saved the second picture down so I could enlarge it for clarity. The second dorsal is easy to see and measure (by eye) to show it is a coastrange sculpin. The first two spines on the second dorsal are slightly closer together than the next pair.

Compared to the slimy especially, where the first two spines are farther apart than the next pair. Once you have seen pictures of them for comparison it is extremely easy to tell them apart.

PWS streams have a third common sculpin, the *****ly and it is very hard to tell from the coastrange. Since these are western AK, it is easy.

Now I realize you were not identifying the species at all... Might be more information than you want or need!

I don't think you need to tie patterns that specifically! The forum made me drop a smiley.
    art

hap

And the proper name of the sculpin bleeped out is pr1ckly sculpin according to Fishes of Alaska, the primary text for AK fish ID...
    art

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Dan
    I more than certain that is not a slimey sculpin
    You are correct, thanks.

What I saw was a mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdi) which is similar to slimy sculpin (Cottus cognatus). Found it while Google searching images for slimy sculpin. Some info below on the differences...

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/mottled.html

-Dan

Thumbs up Lookin' good!

Nice looking fly fusion! I also like the the excellent photos of the live sculpins akgloomis! ...gettin' inspired to spend some more time parked in front of the vise instead of the keyboard!!!

hap

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    You are correct, thanks.

What I saw was a mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdi) which is similar to slimy sculpin (Cottus cognatus). Found it while Google searching images for slimy sculpin. Some info below on the differences...

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/mottled.html

-Dan
    Was trying to put good info out rather than mash toes... The bairdi is not an AK sculpin so I can get by with geographic taxonomy for it. I would be surprised if there were not more, not presently named species of sculpin here in freshwater. Too adaptable as a group and too much water has not been seriously looked at...
    art
    art

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    Was trying to put good info out rather than mash toes...

Unlike most folks, I like being corrected when I am wrong. You not only informed others, but me as well. I know little of sculpins in general and only looked into fishing these patterns 2 years back when planning a float trip in NW for big dollies. While the esl is most effective, I wanted to have something else to throw at them. Always nice to learn something new. Thanks for sharing.

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast