Thread: Premix gas and oil injection?

Default Premix gas and oil injection?

I had my 1990's Evinrude 150 tuned up by J Kimberly last fall. They recommended I run a 50:1 ratio in addition to my oil injection incase my oil injection fails.

This makes sence, but I wonder, if I can't trust my oil injection should I just eliminate it and mix my fuel.

What are the advantages and disadvantages? The oil injection is not any more convenient if I have to mix my gas as well... What about fouling plugs and the additional cost of using twice the oil?

What are your thoughts?

fouled plugs are at least cheap to replace. why did they think the oil injector would fail, just because it's old?

Default The USCG

used to disable the oil injection system and we would just premix. hey didn't want the system to fail during a rescue.

We NEVER ran premix AND injection, one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    fouled plugs are at least cheap to replace. why did they think the oil injector would fail, just because it's old?

I called J Kimberly back for confirmation. They said since a jet runs consistantly higher RPM's, any two stroke jet should be running a 32:1 ratio. My oil injection is set at 50:1. He recommended I mix 100:1 in my tank to make up the difference or disconnect my oil injection and premix 32:1.

I am thinking I'll just plug off my oil injection and start mixing 32:1. This way I won't ever have to wonder if my oil injection is doing it's job.

Any thoughts?

I would say to let a outboard mechanic remove all oil injection stuff... That way you can be sure that all you need to do is mix the gas and go... Oil is the blood of engine operation, so if something isn't done just right it could end up costing you a lot of $$ or even a new motor.. I know that now, on newer 2-stroke engines you cant just disconnect things cause there is several injection points on the motor, so mixing isnt an option unless other things are done... I know you have an older motor, so there shouldnt be any complications with just mixing..

Default Mix it to be safe!

I had a 40hp 2 stoke yamaha jet seize twice. Once under warranty and once not. They repaired it free both times (main crank seized) they told me if it was the same problem on the second time it would be free. Ever since then I throw 100:1 at it along with the oil injection and have never had any issues. When I'm running it is usally close to wide open and I have never had a fouling issue.
    It is a very bad sound when your engine seizes up and I have heard it twice and that was enough! Worst case I change some plugs.
    Whoop see ding!!

chuck

Default Pre Mix It

Funny thread because I am fixing to pull my power head to rebuild it. I had my 04 merc 60 hp jet seize on me laast summer I always have done everything as far as maintance and storage goes and guess what happened while in the middle of the Big Su? Yep you guessed it. Oil injector failed. So when I get it all back together I will be only using premixed fuel from now on. Never again will I rely on an oil injection system on any 2 stroke.