Thread: Black Bear Lake George(14C)

Default Black Bear Lake George(14C)

Looking to take a friend hunting who just moved up here, and we're looking at flying in to Lake George this spring. Anyone been there and harvested black bear? Any tips for someone who has never been up in that area? Amount of time you figure we need to spend up there? Any and all info would be appreciated. You can PM me, if you don't want to post the info online. Thanks.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

it gets busy. i haven't been there in the spring but i have buddies who have. i've been in there in september and see good number of black bears on all hillsides, 14 creek, troublsome, north side of lake george, never on the flats though. i know guys do well in the spring if they spend some time. bears are there...its kinda a tough place to hunt, either flat or steep..not much for grass in the flats around george, unless you head up river a ways...lotta little runways here and there and gravel bars.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Hunted Black Bear up that way last September. Actually had a Mtn Goat tag, but a decent sized blackie presented itself while we were looking for a way up into the mountains. It is a tough place to hunt Black Bear. We found one gorging himself in a berry patch. He was a good 6.5 foot, i'd guess 400# or so. I started the hunt by skydiving into the North of Lake George silt bed. The story is on the forums somewhere. You would have to concentrate on the East side of Lake George if you used the airstrip on the North side of Lake George. I have NOT hunted there in the spring, but I was planning on it this year If i could jump out again over there out of my buddy's plane. I've heard there are LOTS of Black bear back in there, but I don't think it'll be easy...be in climbing shape.
    Good luck,
    johnny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the replies so far guys, I appreciate it.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

I've seen several groups of bears in the fall. One "group" was four bears, circled for quite a while thinking that it was a sow with three sub-adult cubs. All three appeared different in size. Kind of odd, if they werent related, don't know what the draw would have been. That and all four were on the flats just north of the lake. It's lot tougher hunt than it looks, lots of alders/terrain and it gets busy.
    Pick your pilot carefully, lots of areas look easy and eat a/c, another one was lost yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by APEX View Post
    I've seen several groups of bears in the fall. One "group" was four bears, circled for quite a while thinking that it was a sow with three sub-adult cubs. All three appeared different in size. Kind of odd, if they werent related, don't know what the draw would have been. That and all four were on the flats just north of the lake. It's lot tougher hunt than it looks, lots of alders/terrain and it gets busy.
    Pick your pilot carefully, lots of areas look easy and eat a/c, another one was lost yesterday.
    Apex, thanks for the tips. Guy I know flies in there regularly, just have to talk with him about getting us in there. Sucks to lose your aircraft. But, as my instructor told me when I learned to fly, any landing you walk away from, is a good landing.

Thomas Jefferson