Thread: Valdez, AK

Default Valdez, AK

Finally found out where I am going. Its Valdez, AK. So know I need to get geared up. I have already done some research for basic gear. i.e. Simms Waders. But what other kind of gear will I need. Not sure what kind of systems or species are in Valdez yet.

scuba-

Check out a couple of books to get familiar with all the places to go and where to stay. My husband and I always travel with the Milepost and Highway Angler. Great resources and includes plenty of things for Valdez and surrounding area. I think they are sold through this website.

definitely going to get the milepost. Heard a few other talk about it on here and they talked highly about it on Napa's North to Alaska with your host Larry Csnoka.

yep, I use the highway angler, it has a lot of info on valdez. There is great fishing here in valdez, spring dollies in the robe and lowe rivers, they are difficult to find though. Then in june you've got a nice run of reds in the robe river. near about mid july the pinks flood the port and all the streams. Then from august all the way to october we get a nice run of BIG silvers. If you get tired of catching salmon, go to the pass and try blueberry, thompson, or worthington lakes for stocked rainbows and grayling.For gear I usually pack around a 7 wt rod with some sort of sinking line. make sure you have waders, it makes fishing a lot easier. for flies, bring plenty of egg sucking leeches, egg patterns, and a few dry flies. for river fishing I would suggest the robe river, lots of fish, and great fishing, good luck.

Just ordered the Highway angler from this site. Hopefully its in stock. The local barnes and Nobles has the milepost so picking it up shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    Finally found out where I am going. Its Valdez, AK. So know I need to get geared up.
    I suggest a good snow shovel!

just got my highway angler. I am glad it has a fish id in there. I will need it for the first few trips.

Default Hope you like snow

AT boots, bindings, skis and skins. Valdez is mainly saltwater fishing for salmon, but the backcountry skiing is world class. Good ice climbing as well. If you aren't in to any of these I suggest you learn how, so you have something to do in the winter.

Hold off on ordering the mile post. BSU Ketchikan should send it in a welcome aboard package.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    Finally found out where I am going. Its Valdez, AK. So know I need to get geared up. I have already done some research for basic gear. i.e. Simms Waders. But what other kind of gear will I need. Not sure what kind of systems or species are in Valdez yet.
    The only research you should do on Simms Waders is trying them on before you buy them(they are skinny in the leg and do not fit many people), not just ordering them on-line or from a catalog. Wader fit is not the sort of thing that you can figure out on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    The only research you should do on Simms Waders is trying them on before you buy them(they are skinny in the leg and do not fit many people), not just ordering them on-line or from a catalog. Wader fit is not the sort of thing that you can figure out on the internet.
    I'm pretty sure if your waders don't say simms you'll probably be ok

I orderded my G3's online and they fit me fine. I am a fairly big legged fellow as well. Maybe I just lucked out.

sending you a PM.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I tried them on before I bought online. They fit okay, but I went with the LL 12/13 size. I just wish the local bass pro had Simms headwaters boots so I could try them on.

May the force be with you!